Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Looking to trade 1935 National Chicle football ** updated

I'd like to trade some of my extra graded Chicle football cards for some that I don't have. I am looking for 7 cards with specific configurations of text on the back. I'd like to have them in PSA 4 or higher. Please post or PM me if interested.

First, I'll list the 7 cards that I am interested in, then I'll list a description of the different backs. If you have any cards that have backs other than those I have listed in the back descriptions, I would be interested in those also.

Looking for:
#3 George Kenneally, back #1
#5 Glenn Presnell, back #1
#9 Knute Rockne, back #2
#14 Phil Sorboe, back #2 ** Found one
#19 Ralph Kercheval, back #4
#20 Warren Heller, back #4 ** Found one
#21 Cliff Montgomery, back #2 ** Found one

Back descriptions:
1. Eddie Casey's signature centered
2. Eddie Casey's signature at right with his credentials below
3. Eddie Casey's signature at right, no credentials
4. Eddie Casey's signature at right, no copyright information on the bottom of the card ** edited to add that Eddie Casey's credentials are printed in this case also.

Cards that I have available for trade:
#2 Bo Molenda PSA 4, back 2
#3 George Kenneally PSA 7 OC, back 2
#4 Ed Matesic PSA 8 OC, back 2
#5 Glenn Presnell PSA 6, back 2
#8 Jim Zyntell PSA 5, back 2
#9 Knute Rockne PSA 4, back 1
#10 Cliff Battles PSA 5, back 2
#11 Turk Edwards SGC 60, back 1
#13 Homer Griffiths PSA 6, back 2
#14 Phil Sorboe PSA 4, back 1
#16 Ben Smith PSA 4, back 4
#18 Mike Mikulak PSA 6, back 2 ** New
#18 Mike Mikulak PSA 5, back 2
#18 Mike Mikulak PSA 4, back 1
#19 Ralph Kercheval PSA 4, back 1
#20 Warren Heller PSA 6, back 1
#21 Cliff Montgomery PSA 5, back 3
#21 Cliff Montgomery PSA 5, back 3
#21 Cliff Montgomery PSA 4, back 3
#22 Shipwreck Kelley PSA 4, back 1
#23 Beattie Feathers PSA 4, back 4
#25 Dale Burnett PSA 5(MK), back 1
#28 Stan Kostka PSA 3, back 1
#30 Ernie Caddel PSA 5 (MK), back 1
#31 Nic Niccolai PSA 3, back 1

Doug

Comments

• benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i was considering starting a basic set man i would love to have a knute rockne in any grade..i didnt know there were variations on the backs of these cards his there a link to info on this set?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • I have only found a couple of links that discuss the different backs, and they were either incorrect or incomplete. If anyone knows of a link, I'd like to know.

I will summarize what I know. This information has been pieced together by other board members and other people I've been able to contact. We have based this information on a sample of about 300 Chicles that we've seen as a group. We don't know the relative scarcity of any of the different backs.

Each card in the low number series (#1 through #24) appears to exist with exactly 2 of the 4 available backs. Each card in the high number series (#25 through #36) appears to only exist with back #1.
    In the first 24 cards, all but #13 and #21 have a back #1 version.
    In the first 24 cards, all but #15, 16, 19, 20, 23, and 24 have a back #2 version.
    In the first 24 cards, only #13 and #21 have a back #3 version.
    In the first 24 cards, only #15, 16, 19, 20, 23, and 24 have a back #4 version.

I heard that there is perhaps at least a 5th back variation, but I have not been able to find anyone that has one or a scan of one.

Since the data above is empirical, other possibilities may exist, but in a sample of approximately 300 cards, these seem to be the facts.

Oh -- I'll edit my original post to reflect this, but back #4 has Eddie Casey's credentials also.

Doug
  • Thanks for taking the time to explain the back variations. Would you post a scan of each of the back variations?

Thanks,

John
    Mainly collecting 1956-1980 Topps Football, 1960-1963 Fleer Football, 1964-1967 Philadelphia Football, 1957-1980 Topps Hockey, 1968-1980 O-Pee-Chee Hockey, and 1976 Topps Basketball. Looking for PSA 9 NQ (or higher) in 1972-1980, and PSA 8 NQ or higher for pre-1972.
  • Hi John. You're welcome! Several other people have helped me compile all of the data, and I'd like to learn more if you can find the information.

Here are scans of the 4 different backs, in order with the way I've described them, #1 through 4.

Doug
  • Doug,

I took a look at my 17 PSA 5 National Chicle cards and did not come up with any new information for your lists. Everything I have agrees with your earlier post. I do have 2 of the cards you are looking for though. #9 Knute Rockne PSA 5 with a Type 2 back and #19 Ralph Kercheval PSA 5 with a Type 4 back. I took a quick look at your list but nothing jumps out at me as trade potential. If you don't find these elsewhere, let me know and we can see if something can be worked out.

Brian
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Brian -- OK, sounds good. I'm still looking. Are you looking for anything in particular in the Chicle set? Unfortunately, the list I put on here contains all of my extras...

Doug
  • Doug,

You can check my PSA Registry and see what I still need. I'm looking to put together a PSA 5 set. I've got a number of other sets in process so if you want to dip into those, feel free.

Brian
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • have extra email krkirsch@comcast.net
    eBay Id kevin13803. I like to trade. My store is built to show off the cards and develop conversation about trading.
  • hey hows it going? i know this thread is pretty old, but if youre still looking for #19 with back 4 i have one that is graded 4 by PSA. the backs dont matter much to me, but this is my only kercheval card, so id have to replace it if i traded it to you. let me know if youre still looking for one...