Home Metal Detecting

Raising of artifacts from Confederate ironclad CSS Georgia in Savannah harbor

Comments

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. Interesting read.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... a lot of history being dredged up there... Thanks LordM...Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    LordM, you should take up some scuba diving.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LordM, you should take up some scuba diving. >>

My buddy Billy (he of the nice 1798 cents and Spanish ingot) is training for that.

But he's a hardcore relic hunter and bushwhacker. Me, I'm more the casual urban-park-and-sidewalk coinshooter type.

You have to be hardcore to dive in the rivers around here, which is his intention. The waters are so murky from sediment there is practically zero visibility. It's called "blackwater" diving, though in reality the water in our rivers and ocean close to shore are more a muddy brown. Not to mention the bull sharks. And this is supposedly one of the largest breeding areas for hammerhead sharks on the Atlantic coast.

So... yeah. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather view the divers' finds vicariously, in air-conditioned, reasonably dry comfort on land. image

(But speaking of sharks, Billy is taking up diving largely to find more of the big megalodon shark tooth fossils than he is for detecting and relic hunting purposes, though he'll probably do both.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Me, I'm more the casual urban-park-and-sidewalk coinshooter type.
    So... yeah. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather view the divers' finds vicariously, in air-conditioned, reasonably dry comfort on land. >>

Wuss.

imageimage

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool that this is only about 40 mile away from me. I've been in that river several times fishing inshore saltw@ter. Might have even got hung up on one of those cannons. image Can't wait until they have some of it displayed for the public. I'll take some pics to post here.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordM, if he will be hunting Megalodon teeth, won't he have to dredge a bit? And that will make the water even murkier.... OK, I have no idea what techniques could be used, just really wondering how he would do that....Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LordM, if he will be hunting Megalodon teeth, won't he have to dredge a bit? And that will make the water even murkier.... OK, I have no idea what techniques could be used, just really wondering how he would do that....Cheers, RickO >>

Most of the Megs we find are on dry land, in spoil material brought up by the big channel dredges, yes. But apparently one can skim these fossils out of the river bottom mud, too. Billy has even talked about guys in bass boats dragging the bottom with something like a "french fry basket" to come up with fossils. So apparently in some of the rivers, they aren't too deep in the mud. Yes, churning up the mud would bring zero visibility, but visibility in these rivers is probably pretty close to zero to begin with, there is so much sediment. I've heard that the really prime Megalodon fossils found in the Charleston, SC area are found by divers in the rivers, who use the "braille" method... basically groping around with their hands along the bottom. (To which I say, "no thank you very much".)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating read! Thanks Rob!
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    savannah local here and too funny I ran across this. anyways, they are finding new artifacts every day.

didn't read the entire article or if it mentioned the lost nuclear bomb that is somewhere out there as well....

stake your claim now! image