Home Metal Detecting
Options

7/19/15: 9 more silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Couldn't wait to get back today to see what else comes up. Seemed like it was forever before the first silver came out. Ended up hitting a section I hadn't focused too much on before. That's where most of them came from. These silvers seems to keep getting worse, but at least they're silver!

Ended with:

2 Buffalo nickels: 1920 & 1935
9 wheat cents
1 SLQ
3 Siver Washingtons
Sterling Catholic pendant
2 brass Catholic pendants - one is dated 1953
Some kind of brass, dancer? figure
Hem weight I believe

It will be a while until I can get back there, but glad to see it's still producing. It was exceptionally hot after a few hours I had to leave. Felt if I was there longer I would have passed out from the heat.

HH all! If photo isn't rotated, it should be corrected eventually

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone else hunt this spot? Between the rain and the heat I've gotten out 3 times this month. I did find 2 quarters on my walk this afternoon and a quarter, dime and 3 pennies yesterday.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... great finds and a nice silver count.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks RickO!

PPC, there was a pendulum swinger detectorist there a couple of weeks ago. So I wasn't concerned that he would find anything old there. He had a chance of finding some new drops with the half foot of ground he scanned with each sweep. My detecting is rough going, digging for even the slightest blip of a signal in hopes of something deep. It's a huge thrill hearing the signal turn from barely a blip to a high tone of silver once it's out of the ground.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have mixed feelings digging these severely damaged silver coins out of the ground. Yes, they're nice to find; but, it's a shame that the condition is so bad, effectively degrading or destroying history.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hem weight I believe >>

Yes, I think you're right.

<< <i>I would have mixed feelings digging these severely damaged silver coins out of the ground. Yes, they're nice to find; but, it's a shame that the condition is so bad, effectively degrading or destroying history. >>

Their history is intact. It's their eye appeal that was degraded by the environmental damage. But yes, I agree, it would be a mixed bag, emotionally. Still, I'll take silver any way I can get it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coool, silver is always good image
  • Options
    Although being buried does incur some environmental damage (copper way more than silver, and nothing on gold), it is still a thrill to find the old coins that were lost 100-200 years ago. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you guys. Nice finding silver, but not good that they're half eaten. I look at it this way. It could be many more years until someone would have recovered them (if ever). By that time they would be even worse, so at least they get to be preserved in their current state.

I wonder if the "cookie" material contains some or all of the leached silver. Could have potentially thrown out $50 or more in silver product by tossing the cookie remnants.
  • Options
    You could save the 'cookie remnants' and collect them all in a jar. After a few years, heat it all up in a crucible...then skim the junk... might be some silver left, or copper more likely - unless you segregate the material. Likely not enough worth saving....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭