Home Metal Detecting
Options

Possible Gold Cufflinks, large sterling bracelet, and couple other silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Feels like it's been forever since I've gotten out. Felt nice to have a day off to detect. Got permission to a promising spot that dates to the 1800s. Lots of clad here, but there were a few treats in between. My buddy got a silver Washington and a sterling ring. He was smoking my butt for a while, but I managed a couple keepers.

The cuff? bracelet looks to be a home made piece. Hand-etched "HAND" on the inside, and weight a sweet 21.7 grams. The sterling band is on the opposite of the spectrum and comes in at 0.4 grams! Also squeezed out a 1959 Rosie. Also got a junk ring, junk part of ring, junk fish pendant, junk Figaro necklace with a billion hearts.

Early in the hunt got a low tone but saw gold colored cufflinks come out. Didn't see any flaking or marks, so put it away for the time being. Upon getting home and cleaning, couldn't find any markings, but could not find any flaking either. Checked under magnification and inspected the scrape on the back and it looks solid to me. Weight is 5.0 grams. Any ideas on age? So 90% sure they're solid gold! If so, that's one item off my Top 10 want list!

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous cufflinks, and I'd say they're almost certainly Victorian. Look how the shanks on the back resemble those on the flat buttons of the earlier 1800s. The engraving looks a bit later (I would guess Civil War period to the later 1800s), so overall I would venture a wild guess that those are probably of circa 1870s-1880s vintage. Awesome!

I like the little fish, too, and though it may only be costume jewelry, the bracelet with the hearts on it is fun. The "HAND" inscription on that bracelet is quite intriguing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sure looks like gold cufflinks... would bet a tester could prove that... Outstanding hunt... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Sweet cufflinks! Look like the real deal to me. Nice!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, cuff links. thats one thing someone doesent come with every day. nice set image
  • Options
    going to get them tested tomorrow. Will let you guys know what karat it is.
  • Options
    Waiting with great anticipation.... I am betting 18K..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice score! Let's hope the cufflinks are indeed solid gold. I like the large bracelet too. You got a nice, eclectic mix of finds. image
  • Options
    UGH, place was closed today. Tomorrow's the day!
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great haul !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Finally got them tested. Consensus is it's solid 18k! It failed the solution test at 22k, and was slightly eaten at 18k, so it's possible it's slightly lower than 18k, but she said that she wouldn't hesitate to call it 18k if selling it on ebay. Of course, these will never be sold!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! image

What kind of signal did they give when you detected them? Pulltab range? Lower? You said a "low tone". That doesn't surprise me, of course.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Aha.... It just 'looked' like 18K.... great find...Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet! image

What kind of signal did they give when you detected them? Pulltab range? Lower? You said a "low tone". That doesn't surprise me, of course. >>

Sorry for the delay in responding. Finally had a chance to air test them. On the CTX they air test around 11-12 and 12-13. For those not familiar with the CTX or E-trac, that is in the nickel range. This is why we need to dig nickel signals!