Home Metal Detecting
Options

6/13/15: Only 3 hours today, but got 11 more silvers, and maybe 1 gold!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Only had 3 hours today, but got back out to that spot. Second signal was a ring. Thought I saw a marking but put it away and kept going. Now, I don't have my magnifying glass with me, so there is a chance the totals will change (probably to the down side) when I get it and can get a closeup look at everything. It will be a few days though.

Got the ring home and I think there's a 10k stamp...looks like a crudish one. What do you guys think?

Ended with

1 SLQ
6 Silver Roosevelts
1 Merc
2 Sterling pendants
1 Sterling clip earring
1 Well-preserved Buffalo nickel

Not too bad for 3 hours. HH all!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your ring looks like it's engraved 11/17/14 but I can't tell for sure of the last digit. Outstanding 3 hours. How much clad came with all of this?
  • Options
    Now that's interesting...wonder if it is a date inscription! Unfortunately it will be a few days before I can check with a magnifying glass. Seemed like there were a lot of wheats too. But I will get a clad tally for you when I get back.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice haul for three hours.. and a bit of gold as well.... Great!! Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul as usual! You've been banging out the silver so far this year. Not sure on that ring. What does the front look like? Is it empty, such as missing a precious stone?
  • Options
    I will snag a pic of the top shortly. There is some kind of stone on it that's there and it could be the dirt, but it looks like a darker stone. ..tear drop shape.

If my math is right, this should make 85 silvers at this place this year. Of course that's assuming all pieces from this hunt check out. Never had one place produce silver like this before
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice scores image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do as well in three hours as I do on a very good day (by my standards)... IF I hunt all day and the site is relatively fresh.

Cool religious medal in the closeup. I take it the other one is a Saint Christopher?

PS- then again, I've never topped five silver coins in a single outing, let alone eight AND some jewelry on top of that!

Too bad the soil is tough on the goodies there. Funny how the silver is toasted in many cases but the Buffalo nickel is well preserved. That's like a 180 from the usual state of affairs, at least on the sites I'm accustomed to.

Let us know if you can coax anymore meaningful details out of the ring inscription. Sure would be cool if that was a date.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Looks like the final count is 10 silvers. The religious charm with the clear center does not test silver. It didn't ring in as silver, but sure has the silver "shipwreck effect" look, as the grading companies would call it.

Got a closer look at the stamp on the ring. It looks like a hand etched 10k to me. Tried for a few minutes to get a focused shot and got frustrated, so this is the best I can do with this wonderful phone. Also uploaded pics of what the top looks like. Maybe it was onyx? Either way it's been eaten a little bit. But at least it's still there.

I was in Germany for the past week and am finally getting around to getting caught up on things. Unfortunately no metal detector there.

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Looks like "10 K" possibly followed by the jeweler's/assayer's marking?
  • Options
    Great...gold confirmed... hold a light behind the stone... could be sapphire... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Unfortunately, not too confident it'd be a sapphire. The stone looks solid color, maybe like a onyx. You can see in the pic it's very pitted, so I don't think it's anything too precious.

• Options
    Oh yeah...that picture is excellent, I see what you mean... Cheers, RickO