Home Metal Detecting
Options

6/12/15: This place is slowing down - only 14 silvers this time

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
Finally was able to get back to the silver site and had pretty much all day to do it. It didn't disappoint, although it seems that gold is quite elusive. Plenty of other jewelry though. It's possible that the higher conductivity of silver makes those super deep targets reachable, and gold is harder to target/hear.

Ended the day with:

1 Standing Liberty Quarter
4 Silver Washingtons
3 Mercs
4 Silver Roosevelts
1 WTN
1 Sterling Catholic cross

Also got a junk ring with stones, three religious pendants, a pendant that turned out to be cast junk metal (almost looked gold at first), some kind of vintage dog charm, a transportation authority token, a dog tag with address. Would be interesting to look it up and see when the owners lived there. A collar stud that really looked like gold coming out, but it's most likely brass (probably plated at one time), and a possible large cent? There are a few possible design elements, but I can't make any sense of them. Maybe a NH cent? haha.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the silver is in better condition this time.
  • Options
    I tried a cleaning method that will make everyone cringe though... took a brillo pad to them. Not sure I should even admit that.

Here are some of the other finds cleaned. Just don't take a magnifying glass to them.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man that Brillo pad makes that silver look like it was made in Chinaimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brillo pad image Ouch. image

But then, I guess if the stuff was already really porous, you had to do what you had to do.

Sometimes we detectorists have to resort to desperate methods that would make more mainstream numismatists cringe.

I'm sure you wouldn't have resorted to something so extreme had it not been necessary. The coins were already ruined by Mother Nature, so all you did was get some of the crud off, right?

The big "mystery copper" is intriguing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Brillo pad image Ouch. image

But then, I guess if the stuff was already really porous, you had to do what you had to do.

Sometimes we detectorists have to resort to desperate methods that would make more mainstream numismatists cringe.

I'm sure you wouldn't have resorted to something so extreme had it not been necessary. The coins were already ruined by Mother Nature, so all you did was get some of the crud off, right?

The big "mystery copper" is intriguing. >>

Regular silver coins from grass areas I simply wash with water and put away. I try to keep those as original as possible. But these coins have already been damaged and/or eaten by their environment. Some are half weight, or even less and you can see all layers that have already come off. They're all just bullion value anyway at this point, so might as well be able to see some detail. I'm sure there is a more gentle way to get the black crud off, but honestly, not sure I have to patience to wait for it on silver-value-only coins.

The copper may forever be a mystery unfortunately, but I'll post on another site to see if anyone has any ideas.

Going back today for a few hours. Hoping a few more silvers pop up.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I tried a cleaning method that will make everyone cringe though... took a brillo pad to them. Not sure I should even admit that.

Here are some of the other finds cleaned. Just don't take a magnifying glass to them.

image >>

one could sell that maybe and put it towards something they like.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That site sure does produce a lot of silver.... Great finds..Cheers, RickO