Home Metal Detecting
Options

So what is your top 10 States in the USA for detecting

I 've been thinking about buying a new metal detector and giving it ago again, but live in Southern Michigan and have never really found much to speak of in the places that I have tried in the past. Found only one silver quarter a 1943-D in a old school yard next to the bushes by the school. Other than that one coin just around 5 bucks in change. Sold my old unit at a garage sale for half of what I paid. So my question is your top ten states to go detecting?

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    That's a tough question as posed since I have only detected where I live, which is Maryland. Plenty of cool, old things have been found in this state, just not much by me...yet!

How many years did you detect with your old machine? Did you research any old areas or try to get permissions to hunt private property like farms? I would think that old school yard has more to yield. Even places that have been "pounded" still give up something every now and then. Are there any detecting clubs where you live? I joined one last year and it's been a great experience. I've learned a lot from the more experienced members.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type of detecting interests you? Beach hunting, parks, playgrounds, yards, cellar holes, outhouse holes, cache hunting?? There are many options, and all have their devotees.... techniques vary as does the best detector for the various pursuits. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I had a Whites Coinmaster paid around $200 for it long time ago. Used it maybe 35-40 times. most of it was in schools and play lots and bike paths. Tried the beach twice and never found anything small. pop cans, eye glasses. everything was large. Was thinking of the Garrett AT PRO I like this one the most.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Heard a lot of great things about the AT Pro. Good for shallow water and land.

Regarding the ten best states...each state has good locations as well as not so stellar ones. Its a matter of finding the good spots in your area.

What types of places do you want to hunt in the future?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seven MD's...all White's.... I have hunted beaches, fields, parks and yards. I now mainly cache hunt - and it is based on research/stories etc..
    So when doing that, depending on whether it is a building, cellar hole, rock wall or field, will dictate the machine I use. The Garrett Pro has a good reputation, but I have never used one. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Cheers, RickO