Home Metal Detecting
Options

new day, new dig. Update 4-16

zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
Tried the little league ballpark where I grew up playing ball oh so many years ago, things sure have changed. The old man that donated the scoreboards back then actually lived just beyond the outfield fence, so I thought I would give it a shot. came out with 4-quarters, 6-dimes and 3-cents. AUandAG- no silver yet. Pcgs69-best I can figure is around mid 1800's. Went back to the ballpark today and tried left field on the pony league field and around the outer fence and dugouts. Todays total 5-quarters, 6-dimes, 11-cents and 1-nickel. Still got some work to do to cover the whole park.
Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No harm in finding money!! Any of it silver?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. Keep 'em beepin'!

I am still detectorless, so I can't keep mine beepin', but I wanted to get out so badly that I drove to a spot I know out in the boonies where an old Civil War-era house used to stand. There's no trace of it now, but because the land has been furrowed to plant pine trees, one can tell where the house used to stand, from the pile of old chimney bricks. I strolled around just eyeballing the ground and got a few pieces of pottery. Was hoping a coin had been washed out by the rain, but the only metal I saw was a rusty square-headed nail and two other pieces of scrap iron.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    ball parks can contain some pretty good finds from silver coins to jewelry. Just have to keep digging and the better stuff will eventually come up. I've even heard stories of Spanish silver coming out of ball fields. In fact, a couple years ago, at a school built in the late 1800s, I had a Connecticut copper pop out, and a draped bust large cent. Must have been farm field in its previous life.

How old is the history in your area?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt about it... ball fields and football fields can hold coins and other surprises...starting to warm up here.... soon to be time to check old colonial homesteads...still looking for the 'cache' of a lifetime....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    went back to the ballpark and continued in the outfield, todays catch 1-quarter 6-dimes again and 12-cents .
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    Your spot may have been detected quite a bit by others. I recently moved to a more populated area where the parks are picked over more than my previous area. Was a little surprised how detected it was. Maybe focus on the outskirts some. I've had some luck doing that. Or going slow and digging any deeper target in the detected areas.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for secluded spots that may have been used by picnic groups or lovers....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Went back to the ball field Sunday morn. picked up 2-quaarters, 9-dimes, 15- cents.
  • Options
    You may want to start digging the "low tones," or lower VDI readings, such as that of nickels and foil. Obviously, nickels are in this range, but also gold, and some other misc. other surprises. Of course there's bottle caps, pull tabs, and foil.