Home Metal Detecting

Anyone ever use, or hear reports on effectiveness of "Long Range" detectors?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
I remember seeing ads for these kinds of detectors in magazines in the 1990s. Always was curious how they worked, or IF they worked. But they've been advertised for years, so maybe there's something to it? Do you guys have any input?

eBay link
Ebay Link 2

One of the descriptions:
NUGGET HUNTER - IDEAL TOOL FOR PROSPECTORS AND TREASURE HUNTERS WISHING TO SEARCH LARGE AREAS QUICKLY AND ACCURATELY - Will find gold in any form, from nugget size to concentrations of gold flakes and dust, concentrations of nuggets, even deeply buried gold veins. Separate switch for GOLD or silver. Can also be used to locate man made gold items like coins, caches, jewelry, and gold artifacts from antiquity. Skilled operators can greatly benefit from the advantages offered by this equipment.

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard of this device before; however, my first impression is that it looks like a piece of junk from the 1970s.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Most of the range detectors on ebay look like unsold stuff from the 80s-90s.
    Maybe that's a sign that they didn't sell well.

Ed
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not work...it is a classic scam.....Cheers, RickO
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They do not work...it is a classic scam.....Cheers, RickO >>

There is a subforum on Treasurenet for long range detectors. Here is the disclaimer they put on that subforum:

"PLEASE NOTE: As the administrator, creator and owner of this site, I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE GET RIPPED OFF (defrauded) by people selling so-called "long range locators" (devices, that supposedly, can find precious metals at a distance). I HIGHLY recommend consulting a geophysicist ($100 in consulting fees could save you thousands, and you'll learn something!), before spending ONE DIME ON ANY "long range locator" . With that, I open this forum to the discussion of said devices."
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL!
    I would pay $20.00 for the one in the first pic, IF it made the 'falsetto whistling' sound like a Star-Trek Tri Corder.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those devices are a con man's dream...... and they continue to be sold... so the 'sucker born every minute' quote continues to bear fruit....Cheers, RickO
  • ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the negative reviews above. I think there was a fairly informative post on one of the other forums about these.

Friendly Post
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've always smelled fishy to me, but I've never seen one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.