Home Metal Detecting
Options

October 29, 2014: Freres des Escoles silver pendant?, IHC #60, a boot, and TWO MORE JUNK RINGS

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
Got out for about two hours today. As usual, finds are few, but there's always the possibility of some keepers. About a half hour in, the only coin of the day popped out - 1896 IHC. This makes 60 IHCs for the year. You guys have seen an IHC before, so it's not pictured.

Also got a boot. Any idea what it could have even been used for? Pretty neat with details even on the bottom.

TWO more junk bands came out today too. Can't see any details on the inside as they're corroded. After the third junk band the other day I was getting a little suspicious. Now this makes 5. Something shady had to have been going on here.

The neat thing of the day sounded like it could have been a wheat cent or thin silver coin. Was surprised to see an odd-shaped piece come out. I didn't know what to make of it, but it looked to have a design. Got it home and could see what looks like hand-etched designs and engraving (even the hole looks hand made). On one side I can see:

Freres de
Ecoles C
Trois - R?
J

The other side has
AT
erite ?

It appears to be silver but I'm not going to polish it or test it. 99% certain.

It looks to be from a French school - Frères des écoles chrétiennes. My quick research reveals information in French. So I'll either have to look harder, or try the google translator. Can anyone guess what it was used for? It's painful that it's broken. Going back this weekend to look for the other half, but I'm not holding my breath. Age?

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that's a scholastic medal awarded to a top student.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Some sort of school medal.

Without checking my sketchy French:

frères= brothers
    écoles= schools
    trois= three

Frères des écoles chrétiennes would be "Brothers [of? from?] the Christian schools", unless I'm mistaken?

Too bad it's broken, but that's a really neat and really old medal. Looks mid-19th century to me (I would guess ca. 1850s to 1870s, probably), and likely silver. The shape appeared to have been a Maltese cross originally. Very interesting!

The tiny leprechaun's boot is great! image

Looks like a neat old lock and a pretty nice Barber dime in your second picture, too. (Edit- aha- just read your other post which included those.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool....hope you find the other half.... Cheers, RickO