Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oct 18, 19, 2014: 5 Silvers, 1858 Flying Eagle cent, and a couple other goodies

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out Saturday with a good buddy of mine. We started out at a new field and it was very slooooow going. I managed one small button and a dateless IHC. We then moved to a place that I've hit before. But it was with the e-trac... now it was with the CTX and also the soil was pretty moist. Went very slow and a few keepers came out. Got a 1918 Merc, which was in the hole with a piece of foil, and was on top of a rusted washer. Also got a wheat cent in the same hole as a vintage Spark Plug (Auto Lite AII). Any idea of age?

Also picked up two war nickels, and a sterling silver cufflink. It wasn't until the ride home that my brain registered that a stone probably went into that hole. Too late now to track it down. Got a "10" play money token. It rang in like a cent and came out like a silver coin. Thought it was a half real and got excited for a second. I'd guess it's aluminum.

Also got a Vermont Chauffeur's badge dated 1926, which is pretty neat.

A big surprise was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. After digging it, I thought, "wow, that's really thick." Wasn't sure if it was a fatty, or just a slug, so I tucked it away. It wasn't until I got home that it could be identified.

A few minutes later I see my buddy found something interesting so I walked over and see another small fatty planchet. He covered the plug, but there was another signal in there... a second fatty coin?? Then, a third coin, but this one was a traditional size cent planchet. We looked them over briefly and thought we could see a flying eagle and the other fatty looked to be an IHC.

We got home and he cleaned them up, his pocket spill was:

1858 Flying Eagle Cent
1859 IHC (something I've never found)
1874 IHC

What a nice pocket spill for him to find. It's bizarre because that makes 3 flying eagles to come out of this site.

Got out yesterday for a bit by myself to a new field. Got a crotal bell, but it doesn't appear to be too old? not sure how to date it, but there is no designs. Also got some silver plated something or other that looks to have a hinge. Too bad it's torn. Also got a 1902 Barber dime.

Overall a good weekend, but winter is nearing, so have to get in what we can. HH all!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To bad that Flying Eagle didn't have a "6" at the end.image All of this old stuff and you still find a spark plug.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff, as usual. The chauffer's badge is neat. I saw a local 1920s Brunswick, GA badge come up, once.

Those little aluminum play money pieces must give you a jolt when you first see 'em come up, huh?

First time I found one of those, we were hunting an old stagecoach inn which had been built around 1800. When I popped that little play dime, I thought it was a 3c silver or half dime at first, 'cause it came out nice and bright!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coool, any silver is a good thing image
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice cache.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sparkplug is circa 1915, and the Barber dime looks fantastic. The stuff in that pic looks like it found its way to the detecting site, circa 1915. >>

Wikipedia says Autolite brand spark plugs didn't come on the market until 1935.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool finds...that site will be worth several more visits...Cheers, RickO