Home Metal Detecting
Options

July 30, 2014: King George II Halfpenny, Barber dime!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Got out to the same place as last week that yielded the barber quarter and large cent. Things started off slow but quickly found a button and the crusty lock, very promising. Moved to a different area and found the earring. Was hoping it was silver, but there are no markings on it. Also got another button in this section. As it was getting darker I tried a new area. Within a few minutes a 1904 Barber dime popped out! Then about 15 minutes later a deep signal came up. Was hoping for a silver dime, but a large copper coin came out. It was thinner than a large cent so I hoped it was a colonial copper. Tried for a few more minutes but not much else.

Got home and cleaned the finds. One is a tag for a "lawncomb"... I did a quick online search but the search engines think I'm searching for "lancome" so it's a little frustrating. Checked out the copper and saw the outline of King George! The last digit looks to be a 0. After a quick online search, it looks like the halfpenny was minted from 1727 to 1760. So at least it narrows it down to a few possible years. The quality of the planchet is quite nice, but it's exceptionally worn, down to a Poor 1 grade. Hopefully the third digit will become clearer.

HH all!

Comments