Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 12, 2014: First hunt of the year - 3 Silvers and 2 buffalos

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Wow, my skin looks a bit rough. Will be sure to put some cream on tonight. Got out today for the first time this year. What an absolutely beautiful day! Been busy lately with a new job and moving, but some detecting had to happen today! Found a spot using Google Earth as I'm not too familiar with the area yet. Started a bit slow, and the first good find was the piece marked "Sterling." Any idea what it is? I'm thinking some keychain part? Age? It looks a bit older. Then got a 1947-D Roosie. It was in the same hole as a nail, so that was probably why others have missed it. Also got a wartime nickel, and two buffalo nickels. There's a wheat cent somewhere. Feels good to get out again!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice start. Looks like the silver followed you too.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great first hunt....and the new area seems to have available silver. Maybe sparsely hunted.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that it's part of a watch fob. The woman's face looks similar to the faces on old pop out or push out coins; so, I'd guess it's from the 1890s to WWI era. The strange hallmark or maker's mark would probably let you identify the manufacturer.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any silver is good silver. congrats on a good dig image
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds, and in a new area for you, too. I may try to get out Wednesday or Thursday, as I have a couple of days off. Would have gotten out this past weekend, weather was fantastic, but just too much going on for that to happen.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Felt nice to get out again. Will have to check into the makers mark more on that piece. Got out the day after too and found a 1942 merc and what looks like a silver toe ring. But there are no markings on it. Might have to get a test kit but not sure its worth it for a dollar worth of silver. Who am I kidding, of course it is!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are starting to pile up the silver already... super ..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's nice!

I think the silver piece is indeed a watch fob, more specifically one made by Shiebler & Company. Have a look here

Front looks exactly like yours, including the engravings around the portrait.
    On the 2nd pic from the bottom in my link you can see the hallmark, which is a match too.

They were in business 1876-1910. Details.

Now... are you sure it's "just" silver? From your pic (like also in the link) it looks like it says something ending with "K" below the "sterling" text.
    Could there be a thin, partly worn off sheet of gold in the center?

-Z
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that's nice!

I think the silver piece is indeed a watch fob, more specifically one made by Shiebler & Company. Have a look here

Front looks exactly like yours, including the engravings around the portrait.
    On the 2nd pic from the bottom in my link you can see the hallmark, which is a match too.

They were in business 1876-1910. Details.

Now... are you sure it's "just" silver? From your pic (like also in the link) it looks like it says something ending with "K" below the "sterling" text.
    Could there be a thin, partly worn off sheet of gold in the center?

-Z >>

Holy smokes Zot, you're awesome! How'd you figure that one out??? And you're right, it does say "Sterling & 14K" on this piece! Unfortunately, wherever the gold was located is no longer on it. I have a rough idea where it was found. Definitely worth another shot to go slowly over it looking for the gold part.