Home Metal Detecting

Think I found my first ever gold today (and now my second)

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
I dug up a small religious medallion today that I am pretty sure is gold. It is not karat marked; however, it has been engraved with a woman's name. The metal looks gold colored within the engraving, suggesting to me that it is not plated. It rang up like a nickel on the Etrac; however, it is very thin and thin junk can ring up like a nickel too.

I've added a couple of photos. What looks like areas of white metal on the obverse is just a reflection. I reexamined this thing with a loupe. The engraved letters definitely look gold in color and the entire piece is hairlined.

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! It very well could be gold. Sometimes the bale (bail?) Is what's marked with the karat. Do you have a pic of it to share?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold appears to be wearing off some of the high points.... or that could be the light in the picture.... nice find though...Cheers, RickO
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The gold appears to be wearing off some of the high points.... or that could be the light in the picture.... nice find though...Cheers, RickO >>

No wear, just reflection or shine.
    Good.... hope it is gold.... would likely be 14kt...but, could be anything.... Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it would take much longer than 12 days to find more gold; however, I found this 24 inch chain earlier today which is marked 14K.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice looking piece of goldimage Sure makes it easier to ID when it's marked.
    Great... gold is always good to find... actually the best IMO....image Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now i really like the chain. nice score
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    that chain is a beauty! As a suggestion, you might want to take it to a jeweler for verification. There are a lot of fakes out there stamped as 14k. As a starter, make sure the clasp has a 14k stamp too, it's usually on that little "claw" that opens to put the end of the chain into. Looks like she has some weight to her!
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a thick chain! image Congrats!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.