Home Metal Detecting
Options

George III half penny, found in Illinois

Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
I dug this up earlier today. It's a George III half penny. I believe the date is 1806. I found it in a public park in a town that was not settled by whites until the mid-1830s. It's not a valuable coin; however, I am amazed that it somehow made its way to Illinois. I don't know why the coin is notched.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat find.... one old story has it that killers would keep a pocket piece and notch it with each kill....no idea if there is any fact behind it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Someone was working on a that when it was lost. Possibly it was a gear or a pie crimper.

-Dan
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat find. congrats
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    If coins could talk... that would certainly have an interesting one. Wonder if someone was trying to make a pie crimper like ormand said.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! image

The edge is interesting indeed. Certainly looks like that was done on purpose, and a long time ago.

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful coin! image >>

I've got it soaking in olive oil, lol. The coin has decent detail underneath all the verdigris and crud. I'll post new pictures someday, if the coin significantly improves.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! Someone was working on a that when it was lost. Possibly it was a gear or a pie crimper.

-Dan >>

Certainly looks like they were starting on one of those "pie crimper" tools.

Very interesting.

Rough shape, but hey, you can see the date!

That can't be a common find in your neck o' the woods.

Heck, King George coppers aren't a common find for me in MY neck o' the woods, despite its colonial past. But they do turn up.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The olive oil soak is a good move and - although a long process - could likely improve the coin's appearance. Be sure to update us when done (likely six months or so). Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>That can't be a common find in your neck o' the woods.

Heck, King George coppers aren't a common find for me in MY neck o' the woods, despite its colonial past. But they do turn up. >>

I was initially bewildered how this coin ended up in Illinois; however, upon reflection Canada seems to be a likely route. Canada didn't start minting its own coins until much later and presumably British coins like this circulated there.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Canada seems likely.

However, anything is possible, because at pretty much any time up to the Civil War, our nation's pocket change was quite a hodgepodge of different stuff from all over.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    After soaking 8 1/2 months in olive oil, I can now read the date on this coin when it is dry, albeit only when tilted into a light source. Previously, I had to wet the coin in order to see the date. The coin is now a uniform brown color with just a few little areas of green, much improved.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see the outcome. If possible.
  • Options
    A good picture would be nice..... the remaining green might come off with acetone... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I didn't say it was beautiful. I said it was much improved, lol.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job!