Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

For Sale - Signed Johnny Unitas rookie card

Signed in vintage ballpoint ink pen. I'm asking $1,000 or best offer. Please PM or e-mail me at gregm13 at yahoo.com if interested. Thanks!

Rgs,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    is something wrong with the back of the card?

wondering why the PR 1 grade - i realize this is a red flip which would usually mean the grade is the card, not the auto
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of pen/marker spots on the back. PSA must knock it down to a 1 automatically?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>There are a couple of pen/marker spots on the back. PSA must knock it down to a 1 automatically?

Greg M. >>

i guess so? i would have thought pen/marker would get a grade plus the MK qualifier, not sure

this might have actually done better in a blue flip honestly, but it's an awesome card regardless
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are a couple of pen/marker spots on the back. PSA must knock it down to a 1 automatically?Greg M. >>

i guess so? i would have thought pen/marker would get a grade plus the MK qualifier, not sure
    this might have actually done better in a blue flip honestly, but it's an awesome card regardless >>

I don't believe a pen mark would automatically knock it down to a "1". I THINK that's what the "MK" is for.

I don't agree with putting it in a BLUE FLIP when the card itself has significant value. Since the Blue Flip authenticates the auto only, if the card were a fake and the auto real, PSA would still holder it with a Blue Flip.

PS. Greg, this is so the rest of the board members don't have to keep turning their heads sideways to get a good look! lol

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Ha - thanks Doug! You just saved board members from a Chiropractor's appointment or two!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I don't believe a pen mark would automatically knock it down to a "1". I THINK that's what the "MK" is for.

I don't agree with putting it in a BLUE FLIP when the card itself has significant value. Since the Blue Flip authenticates the auto only, if the card were a fake and the auto real, PSA would still holder it with a Blue Flip.
    >>

i thought the same thing for MK, so just looking at the front do you think this is a PR 1? No creases we can see, corners are really good, if it was trimmed it wouldn't even get a grade. so what else could cause that card to be a 1?

so without being able to clear up why it's been assigned a 1, i'm suggesting the blue flip is potentially a better option because you aren't really getting any "card grade" value at a 1, and honestly someone buying this in a blue flip might resubmit because the card DOES look so nice.

sitting in a 1 holder, you're not getting any sort of premium for the card itself, it actually may be detrimental in some sense because at least on first look it makes no sense. creates some kind of worry that there's something really wrong with it.

in a blue flip there's still "potential". hopefully that makes more sense why i'm suggesting it.
  • Options
    Attached is a scan of the front and back of the card. I'm not sure why the card graded a 1 - seems way undergraded.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Greg ... that's more than just a couple of pen/marker "spots" on the reverse, but with that being said, still NO IDEA why it was knocked down to a "1". Maybe email a scan to Joe and ask him. I think he is pretty good in responding to items like this.

Bounce: I understand what you are saying. Guess you can make an argument for either.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bump

References:
  • Options
    bump

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Greg ... that's more than just a couple of pen/marker "spots" on the reverse, but with that being said, still NO IDEA why it was knocked down to a "1". Maybe email a scan to Joe and ask him. I think he is pretty good in responding to items like this.

Bounce: I understand what you are saying. Guess you can make an argument for either. >>

just seeing this now - i agree that's much more than pen/marker spots

you guys think this was submitted with "no quals" checked, so it landed at 1 because of the ink on the back?

I agree, email Joe and see what he says

i definitely don't think it's a 1, then again i'm not sure what resubbing for anything short of an 8(MK) would actually do for you, and even then i'm not sure it necessarily helps

Still looks awesome though
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Ignore. Posted twice. Sorry
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I was always under the impression that if a card had a mark you could not request no qualifiers. That being said is it possible the pen punctured the card or made an indent all the way to the back?
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options

<< <i>I was always under the impression that if a card had a mark you could not request no qualifiers. That being said is it possible the pen punctured the card or made an indent all the way to the back? >>

I don't see any dents or indentations. I probably will e-mail Joe and ask if they can clarify or regrade the card. It doesn't make any sense.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    bump

References:
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Looks more like paper glued to the back of the card..which would explain a 1.
  • Options
    Saturday bump image

References:
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an autograph collector, but that is a great looking 1. Would like to know what you find out on the grade. Good luck.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not an autograph collector, but that is a great looking 1. Would like to know what you find out on the grade. Good luck. >>

Thank you!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    bump

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Looks more like paper glued to the back of the card..which would explain a 1. >>

i agree - its a fuzzy pic, but i think this is the answer
  • Options
    bump

References:
  • Options
    bump

References:
  • Options
    Red flip >>> blue flip. Keep it as-is. Card value. It's worth more than a regular 1 because of eye appeal. Marks on the back account for the grade. If they're really significant = auto 1.
  • Options
    Saturday bump

References:
  • Options
    bumparoo

References:
  • Options
    I'm lowering price to $900 dlvd obo. Please e-mail me at gregm13 at yahoo or PM if interested. Thanks!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Johnny has found a new home - thanks!

Greg M.

References: