Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

SOLD, THX.

So I am going to make a push to add a couple more cards on the Top 20 Sportscards In The Hobby Set, and will be essentially trading out a couple pieces to make it happen within budget. I realize that, like a team GM, to get great talent sometimes you have to part with talent— and so offering this diesel piece is a bittersweet moment...

This is a card that doesn't come up for sale every day; in fact this card was last on the auction scene in 2011, where it hammered for $6600, per VCP (data below).

This is a card that can distinguish a collection, as it is not something that every guy has: Joe DiMaggio's first ever cardboard appearance.

There are only 8 examples in ALL GRADES in PSA slabs, with 4 of them receiving the AUTHENTIC designation.

This is the highest graded example.

This card is also part of the Top 250 Sportscard Registry, and a hard slot to fill for the aforementioned reasons.

Regarding pricing, to be straight up: I have no idea where to price a major star card this rare and with this little sales data in today's market. Because I don't want to sell it short, I am going to take best offers on it before exploring AHs and an ebay BIN/BO listing.

A back scan will be forthcoming, but it is a blank backed card with a spot of paper loss on the back, hence the technical assessment.

Very few players have transcended the sport, to become true cultural icons; Joe DiMaggio is one of them. His 56-game hitting streak is one of, if not the most, hallowed records in baseball— no one with an asterisk has ever come close to challenging it.

The next time anyone puts together a formidable hitting streak, Joe D will again be in the media spotlight, and his cards stand to surge; in this way, for the collector-investor, he is a legend that always has some potential upside. To the sheer collector, this card is a joy, both for its historical importance as DiMaggio's "Baltimore News," so to speak, and for the fact that it's not something everyone else has.

To get a feel for how rare this card is, here's a picture of the VCP sales data grid...

And lastly, here is a screen capture from my Top 250 Set, which includes the card's Population Report Data...

Thanks for looking, and will update when I list it on eBay.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    WOW, such a great card, I loves it when you bought it. I know you will do well, and I can't wait to see what the proceeds turn into.

Matt
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, brother. Rest assured if I am considering giving this one up, it will be to get something really sweet. It's probably a card optimized in REA, but will see if I can get something done solo first, since the next REA event is a ways out-- and I have a line on the next card I want at this moment. Godwilling I get a bonus on one current project that will allow me to get what I want and keep it image

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card! Good luck with the sale.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Thanks; have just listed it on ebay. User ID on ebay is mattianc.

• Options

<< <i>There are only 8 examples in ALL GRADES in PSA slabs, with 4 of them receiving the AUTHENTIC designation.

This is the highest graded example. >>

Wow! But what about your dream?
  • Options
    Card has been sold. Glad my old post left such an impression.