Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

FS 1978 and 1979 Topps 3 box Rack Case Sealed Cases Combo

On Tues July 28, 2014 (One Day Before The Cleveland National), A local card shop in Cleveland will be selling a sealed 3 box rack case combo of 1978 and 1979 Topps baseball. It will be offered that day only from 10-4. The Sportscard store is an easy 15 minute drive from the National. Security will be present to assist. It will be first come first served. The first person in line will be offered the case combo and so on. The price for the combo will be $26,500. Both cases are in nice shape. The 78 is extremely nice. They are uncrushed and factory sealed. The person wanting to purchase will have time to totally inspect the cases to their satisfaction as there are no returns. The combo must be picked up in person that day and time. Serious inquiries please call 1-216-741-5260

Comments

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I got 2 grand for a group buy.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$13,250 on average for both cases? >>

I think that is actually a pretty appealing price for the sealed 78 case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The 78 price isn't outrageous. Bubblebathgirl is asking 30G on his (or her) 78 three boxer. The buyer is given the option to put in a 'best offer' versus buy it now.
    Collecting Unopened Material 1975-1985 and Full World Series Tickets 1970-Present
  • Options

<< <i>The 78 price isn't outrageous. Bubblebathgirl is asking 30G on his (or her) 78 three boxer. The buyer is given the option to put in a 'best offer' versus buy it now. >>

I doubt Paul expects to get anywhere near 30K for that box, hence the BO option.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 78 price isn't outrageous. Bubblebathgirl is asking 30G on his (or her) 78 three boxer. The buyer is given the option to put in a 'best offer' versus buy it now. >>

I doubt Paul expects to get anywhere near 30K for that box, hence the BO option. >>

Last I heard Paul was looking to get $41k for the pair of cases (78 and 79). That was about a month or so so ago.

IMO he's about 15%-20% too high based on the current market.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I doubt Paul expects to get anywhere near 30K for that box, hence the BO option. >>

Last I heard Paul was looking to get $41k for the pair of cases (78 and 79). That was about a month or so so ago.

IMO he's about 15%-20% too high based on the current market. >>

I'd agree, maybe closer to the 15% as the 6-box 79 case is a very tough one to find as far as cases go (vs 3-box cases).

• Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    Sealed cases are at a premium these days. Unopened, Untouched, Untampered,. Ask Fritsch if his 3500.00 1979 rack boxes come out to you like that. I guess you have to really like 78 and 79s. I don't think that at the National you would find one cheaper.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Sealed rack cases should carry a healthy premium. With 216 cards on top and 216 cards on bottom, there are a lot of chances to pull some nice premium racks. I think these are priced at the top of market, but will likely sell.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options

<< <i>Sealed rack cases should carry a healthy premium. With 216 cards on top and 216 cards on bottom, there are a lot of chances to pull some nice premium racks. I think these are priced at the top of market, but will likely sell. >>

That is a valid point, Scott. The problem though is that as soon as you crack open the case, it's worth about a third less than when it was sealed, LOL!

• Options
    The appreciation of these hard to find cases will continue to be a favorite by collectors
  • Options
    5 More days to the National!
  • Options
    Good luck with the sale of the rack cases, Spazzy!

• Options

<< <i>Grote or Esquire, if you think these are priced right why don't you show up to buy them? >>

Can't speak for Scott, but I have a case of each already.. image

• Options
    Lets see some stars!!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    good luck to the seller and the buyer--2 very nice items indeed!
  • Options
    BUMP
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Grote or Esquire, if you think these are priced right why don't you show up to buy them? >>

I got out of the unopened case market a while back and now stick to boxes. If someone were to offer to break the 1978 into three and sell me one, I might jump.

Did the cases sell?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Yes they sold for a little bit less and customer was very satisfied.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Steelcitycollectibles1 bought them and have them listed on ebay for $35k

Very nice looking cases
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a lot cheaper than the cases BubbleBathGirl has.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>That is a lot cheaper than the cases BubbleBathGirl has.
    James >>

The 79 case BBG has listed is a 6-box case.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

James >>

The 79 case BBG has listed is a 6-box case. >>

I realize that. BBG's 6 box case is listed for $39,500. The 3 box case is $15,000. Is a 6 box case worth $9500 more than two 3 box cases?
    James
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

James >>

The 79 case BBG has listed is a 6-box case. >>

I realize that. BBG's 6 box case is listed for $39,500. The 3 box case is $15,000. Is a 6 box case worth $9500 more than two 3 box cases?
    James >>

The Steel City case is a straight BIN. The BBG auction is BIN/BO. Who knows, he may take 30K. image

(though I would also put an additional premium on a 6-box case, too, as they are much tougher to find)