Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Question about a 1934 Chicago Bears autographed football

Last year we appraised the value of a Chicago Bears Football in fair condition from the 1934 NFL West championship game that was autographed by Bronco Nagurski, George Halas, Red Grange, Bill Hewitt, Burt Pearson and others. After an exhaustive amount of research with memorabilia collectors and sellers as well as the NFL Hall of Fame, we appraised the ball at just under $7,000.00 which I thought was generous.

I just heard from the owner of the ball. I was informed that an appraiser for The Bears (They did not return my calls while we were doing the appraisal) valued the ball at $37,500.00 and told the owner that it could be higher due to the great number of people interested in collecting HOF autographs.

Did we undervalue this item? I have no idea what comparables the Bears appraiser found to justify his figure but I certainly never found anything approaching that. I didn't even know that the Bears HAD an appraiser. Did he simply conjure the higher figure out of thin air or does anyone here know of information that would support such a claim?
Franklin Colletta
The St. Lucie Appraisal Company
E Mail: stlucieappraisal@gmail.com
Web site: http://stlucieappraisal.net
Telephone: 772-359-4300

Comments

• Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Unless It was a game used football I would put a value of $8,000-10,000 if the signatures looked minty fresh signed yesterday if they were faded any it would be more like 5000-7000. The Hewitt is the toughest on the ball, the only other hall of famer from the chicago area who would add value to it is likely former head of officials Hugh Ray. If he was on there then thiere estimate would be closer then yours.
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    Hi Nathan, It was a game-used ball, the signatures were faded but legible and the bladder was most likely shot.
    Franklin Colletta
    The St. Lucie Appraisal Company
    E Mail: stlucieappraisal@gmail.com
    Web site: http://stlucieappraisal.net
    Telephone: 772-359-4300