Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does this 1788 half cent look legit?

USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Came across this half cent today and something looks off about it but this is not a series Im familiar with. Just curious what you all might think. The owner told me as I was looking at it that he put it in a jewelry cleaning machine to make it look better. image. Of coarse I had to give him the "Don't clean coins ever" speech.

Comments

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely, 100% fake.

This is a cheap replica of a 1788 Mass. colonial coin.

Worth $1.

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO!!!

It is a modern copy that has been corroded. Notice that I said "has been corroded." That was put there intentionally.

I will post a photo of the real thing tomorrow.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutely, 100% fake.

This is a cheap replica of a 1788 Mass. colonial coin.

Worth $1. >>

Yes,....what he says.....sorry about that
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I pretty much figured as much. I haven't seen enough of these to know 100 percent. He didn't believe me when I told him it could be a counterfeit. Ill print this out and show it him.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely a modern copy that has been corroded.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what everyone else said:

not kosher
    Frank

BHNC #203

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake. It has the look of a piece that may have been created for sales promotion purposes in the 1950's or 60's.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an example of a genuine 1788 Massachusetts Half Cent. This piece is ex Newman, and it looks nicer than any other example I have seen. PCGS graded it MS-64, Brown.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is an example of a genuine 1788 Massachusetts Half Cent. This piece is ex Newman, and it looks nicer than any other example I have seen. PCGS graded it MS-64, Brown.

imageimage >>

Hi Bill:

I've been fortunate to have handled a large number of these over the years. Yours is superb. Excellent strike.

DW
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fake. It has the look of a piece that may have been created for sales promotion purposes in the 1950's or 60's. >>

My dad was given one of the One Cent versions of these sometime back in the early '70's, and he gave it to me.
    I decided I wanted to wear it on a chain, but when I went to drill it, the 'coin" shattered into pieces!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be redundant here, but it's definitely one of the replicas sold as souvenirs/given away as bank promotional pieces etc. circa 1960. Usually cast pot metal junk with a copper color wash of some sort.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a real bogus knock off. wtfo. image
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671

<< <i>Here is an example of a genuine 1788 Massachusetts Half Cent. This piece is ex Newman, and it looks nicer than any other example I have seen. PCGS graded it MS-64, Brown.

imageimage >>

NUFF said.imageimage
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill to the rescue image

That is an amazing example image
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again for all the replies. That's certainly a great example bill. I've been on the lookout for one of these or one of the cents for type. I'll find it someday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file