Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Serendipitous meeting of a fellow coin collector

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today, I was at a meeting at a firm that does lobbying and political media work and has a relationship with our professional business. After the meeting, the firm leaders took us on a tour of their new facilities. (There was a lot of gee whiz cool media gadgets and stuff.) I could not help but notice that in one of the media work rooms, on the desktop of a huge computer screen, there was a large TrueView image of a proof No Motto Seated Dollar that was partially obscured by an overlying tile.

After the gregarious media dude who worked in that office was through giving us his spiel, I let the others leave the room, and quietly said something like, "Nice proof No Motto Seated Dollar! What year is it?" His eyes lit up, and his smile further broadened. He appreciated that I noticed, and we talked coins for about fifteen minutes, made plans to meet up at the next local show, etc. Before long, the next group came in and got to see the hologram, the 3-D printer, the media search software, etc., but in the short interim, we shared a coin geek moment that only other coin geeks could appreciate.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat.

What year is it?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you let him know that you are the Dirty Gold Man, not just some regular old coin Joe.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat.

What year is it? >>

And he was a relatively young guy, probably early to mid-30's (a baby in coin age).
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just never know where a coin nerd will turn up. good story.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    3-D printer

Was training at Mitsubishi laser, got the tour on final day. Came by the 3-d printer department. Program was running. I ask "How long has this program bin running"? 22 hours the Tech said.image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story!

<< <i>Was training at Mitsubishi laser, got the tour on final day. Came by the 3-d printer department. Program was running. I ask "How long has this program bin running"? 22 hours the Tech said. >>

Yes, complex, intricate, or very large components can take >24 hours on a 3D printer.
    But you can get prototypes or fixtures made now in less time than it takes to get quotes from metal shops.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It's always a good day when you unexpectedly get to meet a fellow collector.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you can run off a batch of 1862 proof Seated dollars on the 3D printer.

And what the PCGS sniffer would say about them.

Even if the sniffer didn't like 'em, you'd still get your TrueView pix, right?

Seriously, though, moments like that are great, and from such seeds can grow long friendships.

I met my best numismatic friend in a similarly random moment of serendipity when we were both working dirty blue collar jobs at a North Carolina grocery warehouse. The topic of coins came up, and he asked what I collected. At the time it was medieval hammered silver English coins. Well, guess what he was into? Yep!

I mean, what were the odds? Had we both been into football or fishing or deer hunting or NASCAR, there'd have been plenty of others in the conversation. But Norman king Stephen, or Aethelred the Unready? Not your usual conversation topics around the picnic table in the warehouse canteen.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool story!

<< <i>Was training at Mitsubishi laser, got the tour on final day. Came by the 3-d printer department. Program was running. I ask "How long has this program bin running"? 22 hours the Tech said. >>

Yes, complex, intricate, or very large components can take >24 hours on a 3D printer.
    But you can get prototypes or fixtures made now in less time than it takes to get quotes from metal shops. >>

I have one machine that been doing 26 hour prints continuously (of a fluid control manifold) for the last two months. To difficult (impossible) to machine so I'm it. All done on a cheap modded Replicator 1, and printed in nylon 645B
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never know when or where you'll meet that "special someone."
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mafiosi aren't allowed to introduce themselves to each other. A third party who knows them both must do it for security reasons. Feels the same with with coin people outside the confines of a show.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met one at an aerospace seminar in Phoenix once....He was flipping a pocket piece Morgan during a break....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if you can run off a batch of 1862 proof Seated dollars on the 3D printer.

And what the PCGS sniffer would say about them.

Even if the sniffer didn't like 'em, you'd still get your TrueView pix, right?

Seriously, though, moments like that are great, and from such seeds can grow long friendships.

I met my best numismatic friend in a similarly random moment of serendipity when we were both working dirty blue collar jobs at a North Carolina grocery warehouse. The topic of coins came up, and he asked what I collected. At the time it was medieval hammered silver English coins. Well, guess what he was into? Yep!

I mean, what were the odds? Had we both been into football or fishing or deer hunting or NASCAR, there'd have been plenty of others in the conversation. But Norman king Stephen, or Aethelred the Unready? Not your usual conversation topics around the picnic table in the warehouse canteen. >>

The sniffer is for detecting additives like putty, cleaner residues, etc. The "secure" service is for topographical issues. I don't think that there is a standard scan for an authentic coin vs a counterfeit. The scan detects physical changes made to a coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file