Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seriously …

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have you been in a coin shop in the past year ?

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. But I've bought many coins.

• TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Nope. Last time I was in a coin shop was probably 5 years ago to buy some 2x2 flips. The last time I've bought a coin in a coin shop was probably 17 years ago. EBay is awesome as a buyer.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    April 15, 2013 was the last time I was in a coin shop. Had to sell a few items so I could pay the "MAN." God bless America!
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that is where I find some of my best deals and cherry picks as of late (dark-side stuff). It's always good to have contact with local dealers who can help you find hard to find or unique pieces and to LOOK at coins in person, yes, in hand, not on a computer screen. I've also made a few friends and have learned a lot of info just by listening or asking questions.

I try to make it a point to buy something every time I stop in regardless of whether I like his selection on that day, so the owner knows he will at least make a few bucks off of me each time....
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup 3 or more shops and go in 2 times a week, I'm a sick puppy. image

Hoard the keys.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    none are listed on federal or state work release programs yet either
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only good one around here closed a couple of years ago.
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been to at least 3 QUALITY shops within the last year. Two of those on multiple occasions.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I Was............and it was Yours..........Still wish I would have bought that Bag of Quarters. Best time I had in a coin shop in Years...

Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, three times, same shop. Left with what I went in with; "buy" prices were lets say...sub-basement level. Their "sell" prices were...penthouse level. I would like to have seen some compromise, but did not happen.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>April 15, 2013 was the last time I was in a coin shop. Had to sell a few items so I could pay the "MAN." God bless America! >>

In April of 2013 , coin dealers were paying twice as much for stuff.

Time flies.

Were they nice items ? Did they go up in value ?

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No coin shops in my areaimage Stewart FL.
  • hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    yes, about once a month
    mostly a bullion buying shop with very little displayed
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can definitely say that I go into a coin shop regularly; every day in fact image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In one right now! image
    Gotta stay until 5pm though. image
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I'd like to.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

There is a local guy who is really honest and fun to talk to. He buys some coins from now and then, and I get choose my Proof sets from him instead of getting whatever the mint sends me, which has really sucked in the past.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, i havent been in a coin shop in about 4 years but have brought coin along the way.
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been to 2, the first and only one that is close to me slabs everything and wants full retail, and doesn't negotiate prices. The raw stuff is pretty much garbage. I bought some 2x2 flips and some air-tites.

The other one had some decent mainly raw stuff. I bought some stuff simply because I had him show me so much.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't been in a B&M coin shop in at least 75...

...minutes.

Yup...stopped by over my lunch hour. image
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past 12 months - hell yeh. 315 days to be exact. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    17 years for me. I have bought over a hundred coins tho. I think I am hooked on coins.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, why?
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have plucked every coin of any interest to me from the couple of scraggly coin shops in my area. Not much around here anyways. I stop by every month or so to look over the same-o-same-o. I do, however, go on road trips from time to time. Those are fun but it's been a while.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 4 months ago, bought some nice Lincolns in some junk slabs. Sent in 5 durring the collector club special and recived an MS67RD grade on one.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In June of 2014, I saw a coin shop in downtown Fairbanks, on Third Street, and went in. Nice guy. Been there forever. Actually had some numismatic coins, in addition to the ulu knives that seem to be wherever tourists are.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, about 6 months ago.
  • TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Yes and as usual I'm always looked at like they are waiting for me to try and steal something.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup. about half a dozen shops around 50 visits.

need to double both numbers and if i go 2 hours one way, it will be easy.

can be at a shop, show, auction, house-meet 365 if properly organized, motivated, hydrated, nourished and financed.

never get bored. into too many things. run out of brainpower long before anything else. imageimage - but i thank the big guy in the sky for what i have/get. imageimage

gn8!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in one earlier tonight. They got my $65.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Three days ago.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a small shop about 40 miles from where I live, but about half a mile from where I work - I visit about 2 x a year, but haven't yet bought anything.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three in the past week, all in Europe. Didn't buy anything though. I was tempted by a nice 1924 raw Saint, but the risk/reward ratio didn't make sense.
  • Can Ibuy the Bag of Quarter's ?...........................image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not been in a coin shop in seven years....none in this area... Cheers, RickO
  • TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    Yes and when I do they are great sometimes and not so great sometimes. It really seems to depend on the store.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Went today and spent 2.5hrs looking through currency. Got some good deals!image
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    No, thought I pass by a local shop every week but I never step in. I did some window shopping every time and I don't believe they have anything that I want. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I buy most of my supplies from a local coin shop, I also buy a lot of our 99¢ No Reserve items from the same shop.....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the bid boards. Late 1960 was the last one I sawimage
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I miss the bid boards. Late 1960 was the last one I sawimage >>

And that was about the last time I was in a B&M shop. ( Early 1970 )
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.... I go at least weekly to my favorite and I actively look for shops to stop at whenever I travel anywhere.

Tom

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I try to go as often as possible. After getting burned out of my 2nd to last apt, the place where we settled on is half a block from a coin shop. It's owned by an old gentleman (not older, but old, he's got to be mid-late 70's, at the very least) who has hours just made up, never the same time week after week. Last time I was in there was Monday, cherried a nice '56 Type B Washie. My guess is it will come back an MS65, POSSIBLY an MS66. It was the first Washie I saw in his Washie folder. Not one other Type B, not one other Washie worth buying and grading coin in the whole folder. Had to go to work, so couldn't check out anything else. Cost was a mere 6 bucks. I'll be visiting him again tomorrow, as long as he's there, and try to cherry something else.
    I'll come up with something.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTS! There are quite a few in a 35 mile radius of me. I live in a top 20 MSA though.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>No, thought I pass by a local shop every week but I never step in. I did some window shopping every time and I don't believe they have anything that I want. image >>

This is why I get so many picks!!!! Some day stop go in and ask to see what ever you are looking for trust me he will have something for you. Ask,Ask,Ask all of you on this board need to ask. That is all the free info I'm giving today. This is what I picked up yesterday at melt.

Hoard the keys.

Hoard the keys.
  • rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I try and go twice a month, one of the shops I frequent has an active bid board.
    I'd say a good 80% of my collection is from B&Ms.
    I don't make it to many shows, and like seeing a coin in hand before buying.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file