Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - Lyndon B. Johnson (AX4)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's time for The Johnson! The mint has populated the Johnson page:

2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - Lyndon B. Johnson

$57.95, on sale October 27 @ Noon.
Item Number: AX4
Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 25,000
Household Order Limit: 2

Grrrr.... Still a HH limit of 2. With 25K, my WAG says less than 30 min to unavailable. I hope the JFK slow sales will cool the sale of the Johnson.

It's also interesting they only mention Reagan for next year. I can't believe the Mint won't do a Nixon and Ford, too.

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Going by volume on past sales, we are looking at a sub 10 min sellout.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    22 days and counting...
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Going by volume on past sales, we are looking at a sub 10 min sellout. >>

But you have to consider it is LBJ. I say a 10 day sellout.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a private mint should do a LBJ "Potty Dollar", depicting Lyndon conducting business on the crapper, as he was reportedly wont to doimage
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Reagan could outsell Kennedy...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    How long before they're cheaper on eBay?
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How long before they're cheaper on eBay? >>

Many here said Kennedy would sellout in 3 hours or less.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How long before they're cheaper on eBay? >>

Many here said Kennedy would sellout in 3 hours or less. >>

Yeah...it took 15 minutes to sell 45,000 and another 2 weeks to sell 5,000
    LBJ will have a total mintage of 25,000....You do the math.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I buy it will be only for the silver medal, but I may wait and just a MS69 on the secondary market.
    I reall don't want or need the mint crap
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

You can do what you want ....I ,and many others will buy the JBJ set .. if you aren't interested ..move on
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Going by volume on past sales, we are looking at a sub 10 min sellout. >>

But you have to consider it is LBJ. I say a 10 day sellout.image >>

LOL! I have to agree (if it even sells outs) I bought the Kennedy and Ike but have no interest in LBJ. And it has nothing to do with politics, just no interest in a mediocre president (same with Nixon, Carter, etc...) and I suspect most people who are buying are buying to flip and there will not be much of a collector base for these, except for those collectors which must have complete sets (and there are fewer and fewer of those collectors these days).
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea how many see stuff like that on HSN and are smart enough to go to the Mint's website? >>

My guess....not many. Same can be said of eBay sales for items that can still be purchased at a lower price from the Manufacturer, US Mint, World Mints or even bullion dealers.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Any idea how many see stuff like that on HSN and are smart enough to go to the Mint's website? >>

There were enough to buy out the last 2,000 available in one day, however I suspect many of them want
    their "Limited first day of issue slab" and their "special presentation box"image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i><<Any idea how many see stuff like that on HSN and are smart enough to go to the Mint's website? >>

There were enough to buy out the last 2,000 available in one day, however I suspect many of them want
    their "Limited first day of issue slab" and their "special presentation box"image[/q

Surprised HH limits not removed on the Kennedy set....
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Mint skipping Nixon, Ford and Carter?

No love for the '70s. Starts with ongoing Vietnam and the breakup of the Beatles and ends with Stagflation and Disco.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    How much was HSN asking for the Kennedy sets? Did they sell out on HSN?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the Mint skipping Nixon, Ford and Carter?

No love for the '70s. Starts with ongoing Vietnam and the breakup of the Beatles and ends with Stagflation and Disco. >>

How many people do you think are going to want a Nixon set? Carter might attract a few more customers, but don't look for flood gates to break. As for Ford, I never got over the pardon to Nixon. I figured there was a quid pro quo there.

In case you havn't guessed, Johnson is pass for me. I'd rather have the Nixon set in the house than Johnson, and I'm no Nixon fan. After Kennedy, we had a string of weak or dishonest presidents until Reagan.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go:

The political anger and idealism has been set loose.

It's your fault, Coin Forum free service!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>Here we go:

It's your fault, Coin Forum free service! >>

Oh come on!!!

This is history. Carter who was last president in this group left office on January 20, 1981. That was more than 34 years ago.

There were two Democrats and two Republicans, and I didn't give any of them glowing reviews.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here we go:

It's your fault, Coin Forum free service! >>

Yep, I threw out some red meat, but really no one has taken the bait. If you lived through the '70s its obvious why its
    a very forgettable presidential run.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 70's were great for me. It all started May 1,1970 at The Doors concert. I toured with a country rock band doing sound & lights and much partying. My college buddy
    who managed the band is now the tour business manager for U2. He got us backstage hospitality passes for U2 and Madonna concerts.
    Also met my wife for 37 years in the 70's. On our first date I took her up on the lights platform at a concert I was doing lights for.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    I'll be picking up the Carter addition, being I am a Carter baby from 77. Kris
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carter is still living, so there will not be a Presidential Dollar issued for him.

There will be a Nixon, Ford and Reagan coin in 2016 (as well as First Spouse coins for each).

You'll need Congress to pass legislation to make any other changes to the Presidential Dollar/First Spouse program.
  • Options
    Since it's limited to 25K, I think the Johnson set will probably sell out on the 1st day.
    At any rate, since I have the other 3 RP sets, I'm going to try to get this set from the Mint also.
    Wish me luck! image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LBJ and The Great Society. What's not to like? I'm in!
  • Options
  • Options
    20 minutes .....
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bestday
    20 minutes .....

To what?
  • Options
    Enough made money on Kennedy this one should sell out fast, I agree. Even with the crash many will get in again.
  • Options
    I think the JFK showed that the true demand for this product (with the flippers) was about 40K. The last 9K or so trickled out.

If the JFK flushed some of the flippers out, we'd still be looking at 30-35K+.

With only 25K available for The Johnson, we're certainly looking at a first day sell-out. I'd still stand by my prediction in post one. 30 minutes. (That's assuming they keep selling the product when it goes to backorder.)
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ,and many others will buy the JBJ set .. if you aren't interested ..move on

What is this JBJ set you're talking about?

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Truman is doing well, Eisenhower with the same mintage not so good. I will buy the LBJ to keep the collection going.

I don't think the mint will ever make any reverse proof sets, even if they said they would.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eisenhower has actually edged below Truman in the sales numbers. Both are keys to the Presidential Dollar coin series.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Nixon set would have had a lot of sales just from the notoriety.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Thanks for that, I see where the mint says the next one after this is Reagan, so only one more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1
    20 minutes .....

To what?

A sell out next Tuesday.... LBJ set

• Options
    Tomorrow Noon ET. I'm in for two.

I got 5 of the Truman, and went out of my way to get 4 of the Ikes and JFK's, but I'm ambivalent about this one.

Maybe I'll get a friend to get two more, to round it all out, but... It's The Johnson...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: illini420

Carter is still living, so there will not be a Presidential Dollar issued for him.

There will be a Nixon, Ford and Reagan coin in 2016 (as well as First Spouse coins for each).

You'll need Congress to pass legislation to make any other changes to the Presidential Dollar/First Spouse program.

President Carter has brain cancer God forbid he would die, but if he did before the Nixon Set came out would they squeeze Carter in ahead of Nixon?
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    I see no buyer demand for the raw Kennedy sets with the 50,000 mintage. The other two (Truman and Ike) had some legs at 17,000 mintage. Not sure what impact the popularity of the President makes - but at 25,000 mintage, what's the potential on these?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Originally posted by: goldgirl

President Carter has brain cancer God forbid he would die, but if he did before the Nixon Set came out would they squeeze Carter in ahead of Nixon?

Since Carter's term was after Nixon....I find that highly unlikely.
    Did you mean Reagan?
  • Options
    From what the mint has said this is the last reverse proof Presidential dollar until Reagan next year. The other coins will be released but not as reverse proofs unless they change their mind.

17,000 winners

50,000 dud

25,000 ???
  • Options
    So why don't Nixon, Ford and Carter (when he passes) get the reverse proof dollar?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    Because they will not be doing the Coin and Chronicles sets for them. The next one will be Reagan, it says this on the LBJ page-

Look for the 2016 Coin and Chronicles Set – Ronald Reagan next year.

So this is the last one until Reagan.

BTW the mint putting out the Kennedy dud may have helped the earlier 17,000 sets because people who have Kennedy may want the other RP sets. I still say sell them for what you can, I am going to flip the LBJ sets and am happy with a double.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    Truman is doing well, Eisenhower with the same mintage not so good. I will buy the LBJ to keep the collection going.

I don't think the mint will ever make any reverse proof sets, even if they said they would.

Are you kidding? No one was buying these sets until the mint put the reverse Proof coins in them. If the mint reverts to the regular Proof, the sales will plummet. As I have said before, I think that the reverse Proofs are ugly. The limited mintage is only thing they have going for them.

I have the sets from the two Roosevelts, Teddy and Franklin, and they are dead in the water. Still they are fun own, and there was no stress when I bought them.
  • Options
    I agree that the RP coins are a big "meh" for me. I like to silver medals for Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy just to put into a Dansco silver eagle album.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

It's time for The Johnson!

That's what she said . . . image

HH

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: goldgirl

By law, he'd have to be pushing daisies for 2 years before a dead prez gets on a coin.

And even though the mint said no Nixon or Ford, they can always change their mind, though I could see them using some twisted logic like they've done 4 republicans and 4 democrats, and doing Nixon and Ford would upset the balance of the universe... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file