Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS show in Las Vegas this morning.....PICS UP NOW

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
First let me apologize for not taking a camera and I don't own one of those cell phones either.

But, went to drop off a bunch of Morgans for grading and did not plan on spending much time looking for
material as I'm pretty much dead broke at the moment. And of course this is when you see your holy
grail and can't buy it....Nah, not the case today.

But, let me just say that I was looking at Larry Shepherd's case and marveling at a Judd quarter of 1870.
Lime green toning and just drop dead gorgeous. Larry was on a phone call so I just stared at it through
the glass and then the PCGS plastic. Glad I did not just walk away to come back at another time as Larry
ended his phone call and we began to chat as he handed me the coin to view..Up close and personal it
was a drool and then drool some more coin. I commented on how could such a coin remain so well preserved
for all these years and he said "want to see something that few have ever seen?" Not one to say No to that
question he pulled out a PCGS blue box that contained about a dozen Foreign coins. As he began to tell my
wife, Linda, and I the story of how these were located and how they were preserved just blew me away

Think Ireland, Scotland and England in 1805.

James Watt (yes the light bulb watt) had just a decades earlier, invented the steam engine that led to
the Industrial Revolution that swept the world.

James had enlisted a partner, Matthew Boulton, an investor and owner of the SOHO foundry to help produce
and improve his steam engine. This was 1775.

At that time in Europe probably 50% of the coins in circulation were counterfeits. Screw presses and such just
could not produce consistently made coins with exactly the same details, dimensions, etc. This allowed counterfeiters
an easy path to make the fakes and of course the Governments of this time were all highly concerned. Remember
that most counterfeiting was punishable by hanging. Don't get caught doing this for sure!

Well Watt and Boulton had produced steam engines that could lead to the manufacturing of coinage with the same diameter,
weight, etc. In 1805 they produced coins minted with a steam press that were prototypes and were presented to King
George III as a solution to counterfeiting for the most part. This lead to Government contracts for producing coinage for
Ireland, England, Scotland and some colonies. Dies were prepared by a Frenchman and are exquisite. Here is a link to
a farthing coin that pales in comparison to Larry's specimens: Link to PCGS WIKI

Now comes the end of the 20th century, approx 1996 when Watt's descendants decided to clean out his area of the family
castle in England. Watt himself died in 1819 some ten years after Boulton in 1809. The coins that had been produced as
pattern pieces for presentation to King George III had been just tucked away in a cabinet before his death and just left there
for almost 200 years. It was a small auction and the coin descriptions were not much, said Larry, but worth a bid and as
luck would have it Larry Shepherd acquired the entire coin collection.

Now getting back to how we got this far, remember that I was commenting on the preservation of the Judd 1870 quarter?
Yep, my next question as he brought out coin after coin, was to ask how in the he** were these preserved to keep them
looking as the day they were minted. Yes, just like they came off the press yesterday. No spots, not one toned piece, copper and
gilded coins that were just absolutely perfect (PCGS said most were just 68's though). Frick'n unbelievable. Imagine a proof
copper large cent that is PF68 with not a spot or no toning and wonderful mirrors. If you can put that in your mind then you
might be close to what we saw today. A dozen prototypes from the inventor of the steam engine and the key to the Industrial
Revolution that made England so strong and led to what it is we have today... From his personal cabinet of coins. How were
they preserved? Each coin was in a metal "cointain" type holder designed specifically for that coin and then wrapped in tissue
paper with his personal hand written dates and notes. Never exposed to any environmental problems and not exposed to the
open air these coins remained as minted. Ireland half cents, cents, etc, etc.

Larry Shepherd, you deserve a huge YOU SUCK. That was the best 45 minutes I ever spent with ANY dealer ever. I only hope that
you will follow up with the pictures. Phils' or yours, any would be welcome for sure.

Thanks Larry,

bobimage
and Linda too.

This started the conversation with Larry:

This is about the size of a $20 Saint Gaudens

Drool:

Another 68 about the size of a half dollar:

Droooool:
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these days...I will attend a major show. image

Very nice coinage!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Great story Bob!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat report. Nice read.

Over due on the smart phone bud, you don't know what your missing.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well told story and a great story at that.

You had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't read it fast enough.

Look forward to seeing pics. Maybe they're Trueviewed?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>Well told story and a great story at that.

You had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't read it fast enough.

Look forward to seeing pics. Maybe they're Trueviewed? >>

I suspect that they are and I'll let Larry post them (not to steal his thunder).

bobimage
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky you! What a marvelous opportunity. Once in a lifetime?

I love how well preserved Watt's coins were. How many times have we heard skeptics assert old copper cannot be red? If silver is white it must have been dipped. All centuries old coins have been conserved.

Rarely, but certainly sometimes, "original" looks freshly minted.

Great story.
    Lance.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome story, thanks for that. Now we need a link to Larry Shepherd's site and photos of these amazing pieces of history! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I absolutely Love the history about coins.
    thanks for sharing.
    Not that I will ever see many great collections with
    History about them. Only if we knew half of the hard times that
    some of these coins have seen and could tell us.

Thank You
    Bill
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for sharing the story.

We need pictures!
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    great story
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    awesome report here
    i was going to go too but my current financial stature and position got the better of my thoughts on going

what a treat you describe here with some caliber background insight and depth
    i love it

as i was reading i was looking for the..."i ended up buying...."image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff...
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a fantastic show report

Simply awesome. Good for you!
  • Options
    Wow amazing, what a great experience to have, i am envious.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a fantastic experience. Thanks for sharing.

Must be nice to have a show like this come to your own town on a regular basis. image
  • Options

<< <i>What a fantastic experience. Thanks for sharing.

Must be nice to have a show like this come to your own town on a regular basis. image >>

I do feel spoiled for sure!

bobimage
  • Options
    Larry has given me the following cert numbers with TV's by Phil and I don't know how to post them
    here. If someone can help we can see some pics! 32775626, 32775625, 32775628, 32775630 and the
    coin that I originally saw that started it all (Judd pattern 1870) 25316234
    bobimage
    Here is a pic of the "cointains" and tissues:
  • Options
    ttt for pics
  • Options
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Those are SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
    The holders they were in a SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! image

Thanks for the update!
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coins, indeed! I'd say they deserve a closer look:

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Junkman, much better!
  • Options
    So...I am still drooling. I noticed the cert numbers and then I recalled that the cert numbers are sequential
    for a submission. The submission starts with cert number 32775611 and ends with 32775639.

There are MORE fantastic coins to look at! Primarily certs 32775622 through 32775630 are the coolest eye candy
    in case you want to punch in the extra certs. So an additional 5 AMAZING COINS TO ENJOY from that submission.
    You're welcome. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, those are some great looking coins! Kudos to you and Larry! image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So...I am still drooling. I noticed the cert numbers and then I recalled that the cert numbers are sequential
    for a submission. The submission starts with cert number 32775611 and ends with 32775639.

There are MORE fantastic coins to look at! Primarily certs 32775622 through 32775630 are the coolest eye candy
    in case you want to punch in the extra certs. So an additional 5 AMAZING COINS TO ENJOY from that submission.
    You're welcome. image >>

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a wonderful post Bob, and Linda too,

I own a few of "Larry Shepard Collection" IHC proofs. They are all spectacular and I will not part with them anytime soon. Larry has a great eye for coins with the most eye appeal in this industry, IMHO. The story about the Watt coins is remarkable. To know that Watt went way beyond the norm to preserve these coins is beyond fantasy, Watt preserved specimens in a manner that survived over 200 years with little deterioration. These coins are in probably the highest state of preservation of any coins existent for that era.

Thank you, and thanks to Larry, for sharing these remarkable coins with us.

OINK
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    wow
    those are amazing examples
    i love that quarter pattern as i'm a lil partial to us coinage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a wonderful experience. Dang! Very, very cool!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice story and i like the pattern quarter on the top. wtg.
  • Options

<< <i>nice story and i like the pattern quarter on the top. wtg. >>

PF66
  • Options

Bumping because I can. image

Simply some of the most amazing coins, not to mention their story and preservation.

I think about these coins/this thread a little too often. image

Hopefully more people will scroll down through the thread to see them.
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, thanks for the bump. Sweet story, provenance and pics!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the looks of that 1870 quarter. nice score
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a post. Thanks Bob and Linda for sharing such a great story. It never fails to amaze me of the stories attached to so many coins. All interesting and fact filled. Congrats on spending a worthwhile 45 minutes and then telling us about it.

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins present well with a tale. Amazing score, ultimately.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Tru View pics included label info/grade and not just an over sized cert number.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Estimate on value?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bob, great story and those beauties for sure. Do think thry would grade higher

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn

Estimate on value?

Irreplaceable / Priceless ....way above my pay grade!

I too would not mind someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

Are we talking 6 figures each for some maybe....maybe all adding up to over 7 figures?

What ball park are we playing in here?
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    if they were US maybe, but foreign I would think they could be had for a fraction
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Simply mind blowers
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn
    if they were US maybe, but foreign I would think they could be had for a fraction

True story. World coins can be fabulous bargains.
  • Options
    Have no idea on value, perhaps someday they will come on the market and we will find out.

bobimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file