Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Easy come ( in ) Easy go (out ) . No deal.

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
The customer didn't want to sell , buy , or trade. He merely wanted to know what he had.
And how much to "insure" it for.

Guess how much ?
What grade ?
FMV ?
Genuine ?
GREY SHEET (CDN ) ?
HA results ?
GC results ?
Red Book ?
Ebay ?

Take your pick. Pick your price guide.

Let's say : "It's your call and you have to give an honest answer to the best of your ability"

What do you tell the (potential) customer ?
It's in a Capital ™ holder that you're not allowed to get into. The screw type.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it says $2.50 right on it...image
    what exactly is the problem here again?

my guess $75k insured value if graded as mentioned below
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is iffy. If it is fake, it is a really good fake. I am not seeing a few of the diagnostics though (would need to inspect in hand), which would make me nervous as a buyer. I would have told him to get it graded, then I could help him. If it is real, I would guess MS61 or so. I would not buy it raw though.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Looks pretty darn good to me.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell him/her to get it certified and come back to discuss its value.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    authentic au58. $5500. that's my guess.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it should be certified for sure.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would need that one certified before I made any assessment on value.

Looks nice.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Seve's area and would not even think of buying uncertified as I know what it's supposed to be, but not expert enough to tell for sure.
    But I can read from RED BOOK "Beware of counterfeits"
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears genuine with AU+ detail/luster. Worth ~$4k once certified.
  • Options
    If there is a problem it's an added mint mark.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submit for a recognized, professional opinion.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me and a whole lot better than AU.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone grading a key date incuse Indian $2.5 confidently from pictures is better than me
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Any coin shop worth their weight would have offered him $200 cash money.

It very well could be a genuine weak D, maybe MS63 so it definitely is worth sending to PCGS. It could be a $10,00 coin.
  • Options
    This is a strong D. I own 2 weak D coins, and you can barely even tell they are there.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I am not an expert in detecting counterfeit gold coins I would have declined to make any estimate of its value. I would have advised him to have it certified by a major TPG.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a strong D. I own 2 weak D coins, and you can barely even tell they are there. >>

Reason #239 why I'm not in the coin business.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not impressed with the scratch coming from the top of the eagle's head, but I'll WAG AU-Unc. and $5K.

“He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” __ Muhammad Ali

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you tell the (potential) customer ?
    It's in a Capital ™ holder that you're not allowed to get into. The screw type. >>

I tell the customer:
    "If it's genuine it's worth $xxxx or more."
    "If it has an added mint mark it's worth (insert bullion value)."
    "If it's counterfeit it's worth the value of its metallic composition."
    "If you want to know for sure, get it authenticated and graded."

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Okay, just an update.
    1) Since the visitor was not interested in "dealing", I knew my attempt to deal was futile.
    2) I suggested he have it insured for a minimum of $25K, based on my view of the coin.

Guess how much ? ( I offered him )
    What grade ? (I told him )
    FMV ? (Current ebay listings )
    Genuine ? ( I was 95% certain but offered to pay to have it sent ASAP to PCGS. He was reluctant )
    GREY SHEET (CDN ) ? (Didn't even bother looking)
    HA results ? ( Big bucks )
    GC results ? (Fantastic results)
    Red Book ? ( 2016 edition)
    Ebay ? (as a guide )

Take your pick. Pick your price guide. ( I use every resource I can find )

Let's say : "It's your call and you have to give an honest answer to the best of your ability"

What do you tell the (potential) customer ? ( I told him a lot more than I probably should have)
    It's in a Capital ™ holder that you're not allowed to get into. The screw type. ( That's what kept my offer at a minimum $10K if he was ever interested, contingent on what the TPG's assessment )

I personally think it's a strong candidate for further inspection here, or ATS, or ? ? ? ? (another dealer image )
    Yes , of course I suggested PCGS, Secure Plus, True View, and on my dime. He was gracious, but still answered : "I have to re consider everything, now".
    Anyway, it's coins such as this which give me that feeling like " a kid in a candy store." I'm grateful he allowed me to photograph it.

On another note: I forgot to tell him "YOU SUCK "
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>authentic au58. $5500. that's my guess. >>

• Options

<< <i>I'm not impressed with the scratch coming from the top of the eagle's head, but I'll WAG AU-Unc. and $5K.

“He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” __ Muhammad Ali >>

That scratch ( Nice eye on the coin, almost looks as if it were struck through hair, or something ) was noted upon inspection, as well as a smudge on the obverse field between S5 and S6, and the bridge of the Indian Chief's nose. Barely noticeable in photo. The black mark on the reverse is on the plastic. The coin has full mint bloom. Impossible to shoot, and my photos are not that good. So barring those issues, I also told him why and how a coin can go from MS to AU with the slightest rub, which I did not see in hand, but appears to look like in photo.

I honestly saw this coin as MS 63+, in hand and quoted him at a grade below that, if it were to make the grade*. And if not… I was happy to pay $5K.

He turned down every offer from $1700 to $10K, even though I already knew he didn't want to sell when he walked in. I mentioned I'd been putting a set together for the past 5 years in PCGS holders (all purchased raw , so far).
    I asked where he got it. He answered: "From my grandfather" .
    I asked if he was familiar with what "windfall" meant. He wasn't sure, but he knows the definition of it, now.

So that's my story for yesterday. Have a nice week end friends. In or out of the case, it's nice to see good coins and hear good stories about grandpa and great grandma.

I also purchased a post card postmarked in 1909, this past week. That's only relative because this series started that year.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowest large feather in the headdress looks too flat to me for a genuine coin.
    I would assume counterfeit unless proven otherwise.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not impressed with the scratch coming from the top of the eagle's head, but I'll WAG AU-Unc. and $5K.

“He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.” __ Muhammad Ali >>

That scratch ( Nice eye on the coin, almost looks as if it were struck through hair, or something ) was noted upon inspection, as well as a smudge on the obverse field between S5 and S6, and the bridge of the Indian Chief's nose. Barely noticeable in photo. The black mark on the reverse is on the plastic. The coin has full mint bloom. Impossible to shoot, and my photos are not that good. So barring those issues, I also told him why and how a coin can go from MS to AU with the slightest rub, which I did not see in hand, but appears to look like in photo.

I honestly saw this coin as MS 63+, in hand and quoted him at a grade below that, if it were to make the grade*. And if not… I was happy to pay $5K.

He turned down every offer from $1700 to $10K, even though I already knew he didn't want to sell when he walked in. I mentioned I'd been putting a set together for the past 5 years in PCGS holders (all purchased raw , so far).
    I asked if he was familiar with what "windfall" meant. He wasn't sure, but he knows the definition of it, now.

So that's my story for yesterday. Have a nice week end friends. In or out of the case, it's nice to see good coins and hear good stories about grandpa and great grandma.

I also purchased a post card postmarked in 1909, this past week. That's only relative because this series started that year. >>

This is the main area of focus for my collection. I do not see several of the diagnostics for a genuine 1911-d, so would be VERY cautious to pay any decent money unless it was graded.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I also purchased a post card postmarked in 1909, this past week. That's only relative because this series started that year. >>

This is the main area of focus for my collection. I do not see several of the diagnostics for a genuine 1911-d, so would be VERY cautious to pay any decent money unless it was graded. >>

There was always a contingency plan. I don't like risk without reward and I don't want any reward unless the other takes the risk with me.
    This young man was from out of town. He said he was able to find the other gold coins and values by researching online, but as he "researched this one", it didn't seem possible.
    When he told me his grandpa left him XX bags of 90% silver he might sell me, but he wanted to keep the gold… well,

tomorrow is another day.
    When he said his brother got the gun collection, I just shrugged <sigh> Not my area of interest or expertise.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell him/her to get it certified and come back to discuss its value. >>

Almost my answer, but more along these lines. Tell him/her that it needs to be certified, and that you would be happy to do it for them, or give the information so that they can do it on their own.

That D almost looks too strong, but I am going with authentic and Mid-AU. Not sure what the price guide is, but would agree on a % back of bid in advance, and then send it in. It lands where it lands.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file