Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sutler Token Fort Laramie

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin came in the other day and I think it is just real cool so I wanted to share. I shot one several years ago and have always remembered it. Thanks to Rick Snow for giving me some info on it.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what's the info on it?
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A full brockage reverse?! imageimage
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the period of use of these tokens? Why were they used instead of regular coins? Were they sold at discounts to insure future business?

I don't know much about their usage but would like to learn.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one write up I found:

Obverse: S.E. Ward Sutler U.S.A. / Good For / 50c / In Suttlers / Goods / Fort Laramie D.T. Reverse: blank. Curto DT70. 33mm, copper, well struck, EF condition, mahogany toned, a small amount of verdigris center left edge. "Seth E. Ward was the fort's sutler from 1857 to 1863 and then from 1865 to 1867 when he was retitled post trader; he retired in 1871; a substantial hoard of the S.E. Ward tokens surfaced in 1994, and consequently, values are to be considered speculative." (Cunningham) DT80b. At the age of twenty-four, Seth Ward, was already a veteran fur trapper on the plains. After the rendevous of fur traders in St. Louis, Ward went to work for Robert Campell and his partner, William Sublette. Ward worked for Campbell for ten years. At that time he "gained a lucrative contract as 'post sutler' - the merchant given the . . . Exclusive trading privileges - at Fort Laramie. Appointed in 1857 by Secreatry of War Jefferson Davis (later president of the Confederacy during the Civil War), Ward stayed on in that post until 1871" [Roberts, "Trader Seth Ward's Blizzard of a Lifetime," no page]. Ward retired to Missouri with his wife and ran a farm that was close to Kansas City. He was a prominent citizen there who held positions on the boards of corporations and banks as well as being active in volunteerism. Roberts' records, "Ward died in 1903" [Roberts, "Trader Seth Ward's Blizzard of a Lifetime," no page].

Also i read the reverse is called a mirrored reverse, not a brockage since it was meant to look that way.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Also i read the reverse is called a mirrored reverse, not a brockage since it was meant to look that way. >>

I've seen other tokens medals made like this intentionally... it is possible they were done that way because the other side was going to be covered up with something else like a sticker or would otherwise not be seen. I believe I read something to that effect when researching the HK-832 Whipple Dollar with the Morgan Dollar reverse design.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been reading about the Transcontinental Railroad lately (Stephen Ambrose "Nothing like it in the World") being that it is the 150th anniversary of this huge project which helped settle the West. I've also been watching "Hell on Wheels" series on Nextflix too. I find the scenes in that series to be well representing the times, while the stories stray widely off the true history. The Ft. Laramie sutler token is a very cool reminder of those times in that area of the country. Very historical.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also i read the reverse is called a mirrored reverse, not a brockage since it was meant to look that way. >>

Cool. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

<< <i>What was the period of use of these tokens? Why were they used instead of regular coins? Were they sold at discounts to insure future business?

I don't know much about their usage but would like to learn. >>

Sutler's followed armies and sold goods - coffee, pens, etc.

The way this worked was the sutler would sell (essentially had to sell) on credit. To get paid, the sutler would have the soldier sign a paymasters order for the amount that was purchased. When the soldier was paid, the sutler was paid first. Eventually the credit vouchers for each sale were phased out and the paymaster orders were exchanged for the tokens that soldiers could use like money. The tokens are usually stamped with the regiment/sutler combo and they were not interchangeable. There were also scrip and cardboard tickets too.

They became illegal in 1864 but that didn't stop them from being used.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool and I like the clipped planchet too.

A long soak in mineral oil should lift most of the verdigris preserving it for future generations of collectors.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was Fort Laramie in Dakota Territory??

wow, did not know that.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file