Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Damage by USPS on coin from eBay

I am glad this doesn't happen very often.............. The coin was really packaged well, but it looks like the package was run over by a truck. The eBay seller didn't insure so..............

The Post Office say's they care and they apologized.....but I guess that is it from them since the package was not insured.

image[/URL]
image[/URL]
image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/moosesr41/media/1922 NGC MS63-3784460-003_zpsivulgk04.jpg.html]image[/URL]
image[/URL][/L]

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin appears unharmed so I say no biggie.

The seller is responsible for the plastic tho, but it's not his fault.
  • Options
    Keep the whole thing intact packaging (Tire Tracks) and all and keep as a "collector piece" image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The packaging doesn't look adequate to me.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    "WE CARE"
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    The coin was well packaged, it was inside the bubble envelope, a heavy doubled piece of cardboard and a corrugated sticky cardboard. It just was no match for whatever ran over it.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens very seldom but as far as eBay is concerned it was received not as described. Not the sellers fault but he is still responsible wither insured or not. And yes you can return for a refund and he is stuck. Been there had the same happen to a bubble mailer. Their still cheaper for the inexpensive items than boxes if your handling a large volume.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...but it looks like the package was run over by a truck."

This is usually so cliché, but it literally looks like t happened! Oh man! Were you planning on cracking it and putting it in an album? If so, they saved you a step. If not.... image

It looks like that delivery truck can "turn on a dollar"! image

I would recommend that you blur out your address on the image.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    since you're a collector you may want to remove your name/address for security reasons....... image
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>since you're a collector you may want to remove your name/address for security reasons....... image >>

This!

Bummer about the slab, but I agree the seller is responsible.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the slab did it's job...the post office?..well, that's another story.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take a couple of steps:
    Get a PO Box. That will eliminate one extra trip by postal vehicle.
    Also, now that whoever handled that package likely knows you have coins in your house.
    Unless you are routinely sending coins to TPGs, I would return the coin so as to not
    increase my cost basis by $30 or whatever.

Good luck!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Did the post office offer to refund the postage?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    File a "item arrived damaged" claim with Ebay. Seller is responsible for the item arriving undamaged. Ebay will require the seller to pay for reverse shipping cost for your return and you'll get a full refund via Paypal.

Yesterday I received my PCGS MS63 1922-D in the mail from an Ebay auction from Heritage Auctions. I'm stunned it arrived undamaged because it was the worst packaging job ever. The coin had a thin layer of cardboard around it and was loose in a large priority mail envelope.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it really worth the bother of returning it for a refund? The seller is responsible for the problem but would you be better off just cracking it out and moving on?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    if you decide to stick the seller ... being that its no more his fault than santa clause, don't be surprised if the seller is smart enough to block you from future bidding,
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch. That package took a hit.

USPS didn't insure it but your eBay seller did, whether he paid a premium or not.

Just open an SNAD case and get your money back. The seller can reslab it if he wants to.
  • Options
    that would be an interesting topic... does ebay blanket damaged in shipping ... (which this obviously is) under SNAD ? or would it be damaged in shipping ? the seller sent something other than what is described or he sent exactly what was described but it was damaged in transit. seems unfair to call it not as described because the seller clearly had no intention of deceiving the buyer.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The packaging doesn't look adequate to me. >>

Seriously? What would YOU expect? Steel sheathing? image
  • Options
    JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭
    I always found it strange that you have to buy insurance from the same person that is responsible for the item while it is in transit. Is that not extortion?
  • Options
    BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    That package look like it fell from the ugly tree, and hit every branch on the way down. The post office wins a different kind of "you suck" award on this one. Sorry for your loss, at least it's almost the weekend image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it was runover by a turning forklift.

Have you contacted the seller? If I sold the coin I would do whatever it takes to make you happy...either refund the cost to reholder the coin or allow you to return it for a full refund at my expense!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep just as a part of good customer service. Been there.

Learned that working for a Window & Door company. Glass breaks quite often but in end the customer has to be happy or he won't be a customer for long.
    One unhappy customer tells all. Happy ones come back.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me personally, I would refund you your $$ and let you keep the coin. Not worth the time & money in getting it reholdered. I've done that on several occasions on common and inexpensive coins over the last 15 years.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

How adequate does it have to be? Should every package have to pass a "being run over by an 18 wheeler" test?
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

<< <i>I always found it strange that you have to buy insurance from the same person that is responsible for the item while it is in transit. Is that not extortion? >>

You don't have to buy it from them. There are "OTHERS" who sell similar insurance; one being www.shipandinsure.com

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    happily, you should not have paid much more than melt for this coin....

and if it was going to happen to one of your coin deliveries, this was a good one.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

I agree. I only ship in boxes, which can be bought in bulk for the same price as
    mailers. And if the seller would use Priority mail, boxes are free and insurance upto
    $50.00 is automatic.
  • Options
    I don't see how a box would have afforded any more protection than the bubble mailer, whomever ran over the bubble mailer likely wouldn't have seen a box either
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Why does someone pay to slab a 22 Peace Dollar in 63?
  • Options

<< <i>Why does someone pay to slab a 22 Peace Dollar in 63? >>

They thought it would grade higher and they guessed wrong?
  • Options

<< <i>

They thought it would grade higher and they guessed wrong? >>

Would not have made much of a difference 1 grade higher.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Seriously? What would YOU expect? Steel sheathing? image >>

That's a good idea, but I was thinking of a box with bubble wrap around a slab which is in a zip lock bag.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>happily, you should not have paid much more than melt for this coin....

and if it was going to happen to one of your coin deliveries, this was a good one. >>

LOL! How many NGC 63 22 Peace Dollars will you sell me for melt? Heck I might even pay double melt! Can you fill up a truck and ship em to me? If not I will meet you with a truck! image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bubble mailer isn't enough these days with the new roller system at USPS as the seller should have also used a corrugated cardboard Safe-T-Mailer.

I used to for decades ship in just a #10 Kraft Envelope & a Safe-T-Mailer until the new rollers ate 2 slabs in one week.

I managed to get USPS to not only pay for re-holdering, shipping both ways, adequate packaging materials, but also a PCGS membership for another member here.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always found it strange that you have to buy insurance from the same person that is responsible for the item while it is in transit. Is that not extortion? >>

I know! It's like saying the postage fee is just for them to "consider" shipping the item. Maybe ship it, maybe not...but thanks for paying us while we think about it. If you actually want it to get there, then that will be more. Even still, there may be folks along the way, who we employ, that may decide to keep your item for themselves, to remove that risk there is another fee! Registered! Where only our most trustworthy shipping agents will handle your item. Of coarse, we'll put stickers all over them that denotes major value inside. Hmmmm, I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets nervy about shipping anything important.

I guess just average in ones losses over time and hope nothing irreplaceable gets lost or stolen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They thought it would grade higher and they guessed wrong? >>

Would not have made much of a difference 1 grade higher. >>

Yet PCGS keeps churning out ms64 Morgan widgets by the trainload.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seriously? What would YOU expect? Steel sheathing? image >>

That's a good idea, but I was thinking of a box with bubble wrap around a slab which is in a zip lock bag. >>

That's overkill packaging for a coin that doesn't merit it and wouldn't have afforded any more protection that what was used by the OP.
  • Options

Good thing to fill coin show bulk bins.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bubble mailers get trapped in machinery, boxes much less so.
  • Options

<< <i>Bubble mailers get trapped in machinery, boxes much less so. >>

Bubble mailers will not go through letter machine sorting, if they meet the Postal requirement of being at least 3/4" thick. You'll take your chance with anything thinner.
  • Options

<< <i>Happens very seldom but as far as eBay is concerned it was received not as described. Not the sellers fault but he is still responsible wither insured or not. And yes you can return for a refund and he is stuck. Been there had the same happen to a bubble mailer. Their still cheaper for the inexpensive items than boxes if your handling a large volume.

image >>

Boxes are free from the post office so that is less than a bubble mailer.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Back in the late 1990s I purchased 20 Morgans from someone on Ebay for $200. (I may be misremembering the # of Morgans or the price, not important.) Anyway, he sent it insured with delivery confirmation. I never got it. So by Ebay's custom at the time, the guy emailed me the postage insurance information and that he insured it for $250. I filed the claim with the post office and nothing. I went back to check on it and they lost the claim. I ended up having to file the claim 5 times until they finally didn't lose it and paid me the $200. As part of the claim, I had to provide them with a printout of the Ebay auction as proof of value. But when they paid me the $200, I lost 2 arguments with them. (1) I told them that they should be paying me $250 because that's the amount of insurance taken out on it. (2) I told them that they should also reimburse me for he shipping since they obviously didn't deliver it. The USPS takes no responsibility for anything. No wonder UPS, FedEx and others do well.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Boxes are free from the post office so that is less than a bubble mailer. >>

The only free boxes the post office has are priority and the cheapest shipping rate is over $5 now. So a .12c bubble mailer and $2.13 shipping is still cheaper than the free box.

So did the OP ever contact the seller and ask for a refund? No need to file a SNAD or Damaged in shipping and ding the seller's rating if they are willing to make the OP right on their own.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like it was runover by a turning forklift.

Have you contacted the seller? If I sold the coin I would do whatever it takes to make you happy...either refund the cost to reholder the coin or allow you to return it for a full refund at my expense! >>

This is exactly what I would do oh and I would not block you because it is not your fault the coin arrived damage. It is however my fault had I sent it and not paid for ins. as I am to insure (no pun intended) delivery to you as purchased.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The only free boxes the post office has are priority and the cheapest shipping rate is over $5 now. So a .12c bubble mailer and $2.13 shipping is still cheaper than the free box.

So did the OP ever contact the seller and ask for a refund? No need to file a SNAD or Damaged in shipping and ding the seller's rating if they are willing to make the OP right on their own. >>

You don't have to send it priority box A you can just weigh it and print a label. I cut the boxes down to better fit the coin anyway. So Free box is Free box.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Happens very seldom but as far as eBay is concerned it was received not as described. Not the sellers fault but he is still responsible wither insured or not. And yes you can return for a refund and he is stuck. Been there had the same happen to a bubble mailer. Their still cheaper for the inexpensive items than boxes if your handling a large volume.

image >>

But its not cheaper to ship a box than it is a bubble mailer. If you are using the free boxes for other than what they are intended for, the USPS could make your life crappy if they wanted to.
  • Options

<< <i>Back in the late 1990s I purchased 20 Morgans from someone on Ebay for $200. (I may be misremembering the # of Morgans or the price, not important.) Anyway, he sent it insured with delivery confirmation. I never got it. So by Ebay's custom at the time, the guy emailed me the postage insurance information and that he insured it for $250. I filed the claim with the post office and nothing. I went back to check on it and they lost the claim. I ended up having to file the claim 5 times until they finally didn't lose it and paid me the $200. As part of the claim, I had to provide them with a printout of the Ebay auction as proof of value. But when they paid me the $200, I lost 2 arguments with them. (1) I told them that they should be paying me $250 because that's the amount of insurance taken out on it. (2) I told them that they should also reimburse me for he shipping since they obviously didn't deliver it. The USPS takes no responsibility for anything. No wonder UPS, FedEx and others do well. >>

You had a documented value that the USPS accepted. That's all you are entitled to regardless of how much insurance you bought.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget bubble mailers (shipped as a package) and boxes have the same 1st Class USPS rates. I keep a supply of small cardboard boxes on hand for cheap, low weight shipping. 3 ozs is 3 ozs whether it's a box (package) or a mailer (thick envelope).
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    small boxes: Home Depot.

Since I am in Home Depot almost every day, I grab a bunch of small boxes from the carts they are resupplying the shelves. They are "trash" and are small, about 3" x 3" by 2" or so, various sizes, some up to 9" or so, and most weigh less than 1 ounce. Since I ship everyday from ebay sales, and some of my items are small and light, I use these boxes so I can still get the first class rate.

The clerks are happy to see them go, as it is one less thing to take to the back and crush.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file