Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Return it to the Mint..............

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
or live with it? If you look closely you can see two disturbances on the reverse, one at 11 the other at 4.
Had to shoot it through the capsule, could not crack the capsule open without possibly breaking it. Tight sucker let me tell ya.
I thought the 09 UHR was tight.

imageimage
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That area at 11:00 on the reverse rim seems to be a common problem area. It is the same spot my first one had issues with, only they were a little worse than yours. However, mine didn't have the 4:00 problems. I returned it. My second one had perfect rims, but Liberty has a broken right jaw. It's "as struck", so I decided to keep it. I've seen a few others with what looks like the same jaw, including 70s, so I decided to keep it.

Bottom line, if it were mine, it would go back...
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I bought two. One of mine had the same reverse rim scrapes in the same area, the other had a noticeable ding at the 4 o'clock area. That me be a risk area for them in their process.

I mailed both back last Thursday, arrived in Memphis Saturday, but didn't get my credits until today. They must be handling a lot of returns.........
  • Options
    It's hard to explain, sorta resembles corrosion. Were these struck twice? Possible some of the rim stuck to the die?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would return it. The die polishing on both sides, but most especially the obverse would bother me too. The stuff on the reverse rims is definitely a distraction.

I bought this 2009 ULR directly from the mint. The die polishing on this one was a turn-off for me. It impaired my enjoyment of the piece. I finally bought one in a PCGS MS-70 holder to replace it, which pleases me much more.

imageimage

I don't think that this 2015 UHR has that bright of a future despite the fact that the mintage is less than half of the 2009 piece. The 2009 piece provided collectors who can't afford the 5-figure price tag to have an example of the St. Gaudens design in high relief. For that reason I think that it will always sell for more than melt, but perhaps not as much of a premium as it has in the past. As for this coin, it's a piece of gold with an attractive design, but no history behind it at all. I see these things selling for melt in two years or less.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's hard to explain, sorta resembles corrosion. Were these struck twice? Possible some of the rim stuck to the die? >>

I would say that it is a problem with the die although it could be a rim sticking issue given the high relief design. If the same exact roughness appears repeatedly, it's the die. If varies that it is probably a technical strike issue.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You could take a gamble on an exchange.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it back !!! :-(
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You could take a gamble on an exchange. >>

Does it help to note any deficiencies on the return form?
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    I would send it back to them along with a letter about their poor quality control. Sure glad I didn't buy any. Not only am I tired of the high premiums which make it a poor investment in a falling PM market, but the mint has not done anything to repair the production process that stamps out troubled coins. Can't tell you how many coins I have sent back over the last four years that had nicks,scractches and grease spots. When a a good proof is selling for 1200-1900$ in my opinion it should be trouble free. Get a new one or buy a 69/70 with a PCGS label.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These coins are sold with such a high premium, they should be darn near perfect. I would return!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's hard to explain, sorta resembles corrosion. Were these struck twice? Possible some of the rim stuck to the die? >>

I would say that it is a problem with the die although it could be a rim sticking issue given the high relief design. If the same exact roughness appears repeatedly, it's the die. If varies that it is probably a technical strike issue. >>

Not a "sticking" or a die problem. It is the result of incomplete striking of the rims.
    The burnished (shiny) planchet wasn't struck out 100%, and so that rim area is showing the original planchet texture.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Return it.
  • Options
    <<These coins are sold with such a high premium, they should be darn near perfect. I would return! >>

You're spot on keyman64, why settle for mediocre, back to the mint tomorrow and will point out the deficiencies.
    I had good luck with the Kennedy 3/4 oz. gold piece, the replacement was much nicer.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<These coins are sold with such a high premium, they should be darn near perfect. I would return! >>

You're spot on keyman64, why settle for mediocre, back to the mint tomorrow and will point out the deficiencies.
    I had good luck with the Kennedy 3/4 oz. gold piece, the replacement was much nicer. >>

They have a really slipshod QC programme in the mint - I ordered a 2008 APE once and it came with glaring rim defects and I returned it. Haven't bought anything significant from the mint since that time. And then there is the packaging, shoddy cases, capsules that crack etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill Jones wrote" I don't think that this 2015 UHR has that bright of a future despite the fact that the mintage is less than half of the 2009 piece. The 2009 piece provided collectors who can't afford the 5-figure price tag to have an example of the St. Gaudens design in high relief. For that reason I think that it will always sell for more than melt, but perhaps not as much of a premium as it has in the past. As for this coin, it's a piece of gold with an attractive design, but no history behind it at all. I see these things selling for melt in two years or less"

I agree with the above. The 2009 UHR is a timeless classic. If they do a Pan Pac coin I hope they stick with a similar strategy.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell to me at mint issue price. That's an option, but I'm not going to beg anyone or spam this place , so I don't upset the fragility of the minds of a few whom I still have a great respect for:
    Other collectors who got shut out.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are "exchanges" available, you could get a worse one.

Roll the dice and take your chances...or let it be.

I don't know if it's because I can't afford one of these or if I just don't like the design. (flip a coin)
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you're looking to get a 70 or selling it as a potential 70, return it or sell it to the member who offered to buy it here.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful design!
    I'd just keep it...
    (unless you're seeking a 70)
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that a fingerprint by PH (obv)?
  • Options
    if you're asking now you'll regret it later
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    I sent them all back, they have already been processed and credits issued.
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if you're asking now you'll regret it later >>

Yep.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it back as this Liberty doesn't look like she has the strength to defend freedom...

Design would have been better had they posed her upward facing dog while eating a veggie burger image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Like others have said, I would definitely return it.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Lady Liberty had some work done on the ol' kisser. I sense a trend here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file