Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1917-S Obverse Walking Liberty Half Dollar Opinions Wanted - GRADE POSTED PAGE 2

Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked this up today, story was a guy at the post office received this from a kid in 1980 for payment from a stamp. Coin was saved and stored in what looked like the old wax paper sandwich bag material.

Will is grade?? If so, what would the grade be? The coin appears nice event under high magnification.

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/bigbuck1975/media/1917 Obverse_zpsrxdjwqv5.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/bigbuck1975/media/1917 Reverse_zpsuysavwp9.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/bigbuck1975/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsa1vjjm6m.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/bigbuck1975/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsynmbdwj1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a score to me! Hard to be sure from the pictures but looks like a 50-53 to me.

Edit to add...ya might wanna use a little acetone on it.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having now seen 3 coins you've posted there's something funky with your camera luster wise.

Working around that I agree with amwldcoin on the grade...

Just don't send it to be sniffed if it smells like a 35 year old Liverwurst sandwich? image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to have had an old cleaning/dipping, but may still grade.
    As far as I can tell from the photo, the S looks legit, but I'd need to see higher mag photos to feel more certain.
    Definitely has AU meat on it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    is the vote for an acetone bath?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks AU to me also.
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭
    The surfaces look meh to me... Maybe an over dipped coin or could be the image. It has the meat and could get into an AU holder but I would like it more if you threw it in an old Penny wrapper from like 1945 and threw it in an old book in your library and forgot about it for 5-10 years.

• Options

<< <i>is the vote for an acetone bath? >>

Acetone will do nothing to hurt the coin! Most of the coins I submit I acetone to be on the safe side!
  • Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    score!
    BT&C
  • Options
    man I can sure make coins look bad in pics, somebody sell me a photo setup PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Tried another phone, I give up!!
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has the strike of a 1917 S Obv. coin but I'd like to get a closer look at that mint mark.

I like the fact that the eagle's breast feathers are still visible and not rubbed away.

It definitely looks dipped but would probably grade, unless it has PVC or some other unforeseen (in the photos) issue.

I would grade it near AU 55.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    The last image looks great so if you can duplicate the lighting and focus you should be good.

Both coins appear to have some friction on their high points so I'd grade both AU.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<< in the au55 crowd
    sweet looking example
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something about the MintMark...repunched perhaps? Possibly cleaned...it looks too white, then again it may be the imaging/lighting.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a slam dunk AU.

Nice coin.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks a lot better in the second set of pictures than the first. The first set makes it over dipped and washed out. The second looks like a nice coin. The grade is probably AU, perhaps high AU if the second set of pictures is accurate.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bigbuck 1975----This is one of my favorite dates and mints of the Walker series. As I looked at the first pictures, I really didn't think much of the coin. However, as the second pictures showed, the coin does have a chance of being graded by a TPGS.

I think that the mint mark is OK. I'm going to go a little higher on the grade. I think that, if it grades, it will go an AU58. It,IMHO, has a strong strike.

Very hard to be sure from pictures what the surfaces of the coin look like. My first impressions from the first pictures was that the coin had been messed with for sure. And, while the second pictures don't make me change my mind, they do allow me to think that the services may consider the piece as market acceptable. Good luck with it. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU by wear but has it been cleaned/dipped? From the photos I just can't make a call.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pictures can be described by the first sentence from A Tale of Two Cities.... It was the best of times...it was the worst of times.

The second picture looks as if an AU58 grade seems probable with the first leaving the feeling of discomfort that a strait grade is not viable

I like the coin if the second picture is accurate and captures the real look and 58 would be my grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thank you for all.the comments fellas. The second photo is closer to reality than the first. the coin isn't quite as gold as appearing in the 2nd set of photos. The luster, although not booming is there. I am sure the guy that sold me the coin is being 100% truthful but what happened to the coin before he got it would be in question. I am going to send off to be graded on Monday, will.follow up later.
  • Options
    Now that additional photos have been added since my first comments, I like the coin better, and agree it's AU55, with perhaps an outside shot at 58.
    I don't really see a need for an acetone bath, as I don't see PVC-type 'haze'....but with the coin in hand,
    if you think it needs it, it won't really hurt.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<< in the au55 crowd
    sweet looking example >>

same here au 53/55. jmo
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55-58....Definitely give it an acetone bath.... agitate it, change the liquid, let it set a while...agitate again. Rinse with alcohol..then running hot water. Blow dry with low setting warm air - not close. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough info to know if it was a score or not. Where did you buy it? Dealer, privately? How much was it?

It could go AU50 or so.
  • Options
    I paid 20% back of xf bid to a private party. Looking further at the coin, I struggle to see much if any wear. Could some of the "wear" actually be a result of weak strike and not wear at all. Just trying to learn. I seen a pcgs 64 that looks a lot like the front of this coin (I don't think its a 64 FYI)
  • Options
    The 17S obv generally doesn't have strike issues.....for a quick lesson, the eagle's central neck feathers are essentially never weakly struck, even on a coin like a 40S....yours shows the telltale wear commensurate with a high AU coin.
    At 20% back of XF Bid, you really ripped this coin.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975--- I agree that you got a GREAT score if you bid 20% less than XFbid. However, how big a score will depend on how it ends up grading. If PCGS or NGC straight grades this piece---doesn't NET grade it at all---then you have hit the jackpot---as the coin clearly is a high AU grade.

But, let's say that the surfaces have issues of some kind. Will they just NET grade it down a few points? Or will they go further and just call the coin genuine? If they NET grade it to an AU53 or AU55, then you still have a nice score. But, if they genuine the coin with just AU details---then they have priced it closer to what you have paid for the piece. Still likely a profit to you.

Pictures RARELY let one be certain of what the graders might do. Your coin is a perfect example. In the end, an experienced Walker person can tell you---if he has the coin in hand. But, it seems that every computer shows a little different---depending on the quality of the pictures---the camera quality---and the ability of the picture taker and the kind of lighting that is used.

I encourage you to send it in and see what happens. Don't think that you can go too wrong in doing this. Again, good luck with it. Bob [supertooth]
    Bob
  • Options
    Grade in!!!

It is officially official!!!

I AM THE WORST PHOTOGRAPHER ON THE BOARD!!

PCGS AU58
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....great score!
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations---you did well! It's worth about $3000, now.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

<< <i>Grade in!!!

It is officially official!!!

I AM THE WORST PHOTOGRAPHER ON THE BOARD!!

PCGS AU58 >>

Did ya give her an acetone bath?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Wow - good for you!

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Nice AU.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is officially official!!! I AM THE WORST PHOTOGRAPHER ON THE BOARD!! >>

Bigbuck1975, Your not the worst as there's plenty of folks selling regularly on eBay which have you beat by a mile.

However did you by some chance also spring for a Tru-View image so we could see your score in all it's glory?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I did give the coin an acetone bath and I didn't spring for the true view. I will be eventually selling the coin and will show the link in the BST. I had it graded through Great Collections and they will be consigning it for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file