Home U.S. Coin Forum

2 shot dead in downtown Cheyenne coin shop

Story

There is not much once outside Cheyenne and hopefully they catch this ****** quickly.

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sickens me to hear this.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people...they seek the path of least resistance and the lives of two people were short changed because of someones "need" to be fulfilled.

Prayers for the families left behind to mend the pieces of their lives that were torn apart. image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went by that shop all the time when I lived there. This is horrible news.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't foresee Cheyenne being a amnesty city.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes. Garbage like this takes all the fun out of what is supposed to be an enjoyable pursuit.

Geographically, Cheyenne is a ways off from where I live, but in social terms here out west it's right next door. What a horrible thing. I hope they get them. Even if they do it won't fix everything.
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    The article states that the police are not identifying if they were customers, employees, or who exactly were killed. I'll still hold out a little hope that three perps came in and one of them shot the other two. Though probably not image
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful news. Hopefully they'll get the perp fast, and justice will be harsh.

Stories like this concern me. My wife has been working part-time at a shop owned by a dealer friend of mine. I've always worried about something like this happening to her. At least she has a CHL and is armed while working there, and thus has a chance to defend herself. I realize that's dependent on the situation, but it makes me (and her) feel better.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Saddened to learn of this...
    My LCS has TWO remote doors, he and his employee's carry discreetly, as well as most of the customers.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez !!! :-(
    Timbuk3
  • mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    I have been in this shop on numerous occasions while taking trips to Colorado from NW Wyoming. The owner is a very nice older gentleman. This is not good at all.
    http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/07/20/breaking_news/01break_07-20-15.txt#.Va2JkGnbKpo
    More info. The older gentleman who owned the shop was killed.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2015/07/20/breaking_news/01break_07-20-15.txt#.Va2JkGnbKpo
    More info. The older gentleman who owned the shop was killed. >>

Linked
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's horrible. The families of the victims must be devastated.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The disproportionate number of coin shop shootings and deaths, makes it a very undesirable vocation.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I been there before several years back when it visited Cheyenne
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So very, very sad. Terrible. image

God Bless you George Manley and Dwight Brockman.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if they had those death trap stupid buzzer doors.
    About the worst thing a shop can do.
    It took an armed robbery to show ME how useless they are.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buzzer doors work best when fully visible armed security person is present.Good video system in place is better than buzzer door.Unfortunately,the cost of a quality video system is cost prohibitive for most B&M shops. I'm talking about using cameras with the kind of resolution where you can put a face on the individual who enters the shop and actually identify an individual as to who they are.

Good luck to authorities in catching the individual who shot and killed the two men,one the owner,in the shop.Shown below is an item of interest to authorities. Anyone with information about the ring, the crime or the whereabouts of the suspect should contact the Cheyenne Police Department at 307-637-6510 or Silent Witness,307-638-8477.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame, but it's also why in Clear View I carry a Glock 357 15rd high & tight on my side.

<< <i>It's a shame, but it's also why in Clear View I carry a Glock 357 15rd high & tight on my side. >>

Same here but I'll share a PM I just sent to a fellow member who is contemplating opening a new shop.

<< <i>A "man trap" is a good idea.

Although I feel you MUST install bars AT the counter to put bars BETWEEN you and the "customers."

They can shoot you through the bars but they can't get in to touch you or to get the goodies behind the counter if they can't reach em.

I had the buzzer door but discovered that once they're IN, you're easy pickins.

I've see man traps with a separate door into the "showroom" but still like a CONSTANT barrier of bars between me and the outsiders.

Consider it. >>

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is crazy.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horrible.

RIP x 2

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a bummer. image
    I am not so sure that the buzzer doors are not effective. Most of the robberies that occur around here, the perps, literally open the door and rush in, in a surprise type ambush with masks on . With doors that eliminates that potential. If masked perps come to the door, you simply don't open it. You can size people up if you can get a good look at tem before you let them in sometimes as well.

Now, They have to act once they are inside, if you have surveillance equipment on site, you most likely have them on camera already. (sometimes it makes a diff others times, I don't think they care about be ing photo
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Horrible.

RIP x 2

mark >>

My buzzer door near death experience happend with a guy I let in.

He had GOOD questions about Indian cents. Looked at some coins.
    Didn't find one he wanted so I put the tray back in the safe and he asked to see it once again.
    I turned to the tray in the safe and heard his clothes moving.
    Knew what was going down.

Yep. Lookin down the barrel of a gun.

After controlling me, he let 2 others in.

Don't think all robbers are stupid.

Buzzer doors are false security.

I got lucky, though. The trio actually MOVED the gold tubes to get to the silver behind them.
    Silver is SHINY!

Shiny be good, bro.

imageimage
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this. A real shame. Constantly armed and trained is the only way to run a business like this today. Cheers, RickO
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very sorry to hear this. A real shame. Constantly armed and trained is the only way to run a business like this today. Cheers, RickO >>

Sad but true. image

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the good guys win:

Two of four maggots shot dead during an attempted robbery of local jewelry store. The other two were caught and will rot in prison.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sad. So senseless.

Dwight Brockman, owner of The Coin Shop, poses for a portrait at his store Friday. Brockman, a coin collector since childhood, opened shop in Cheyenne in 1982. (Photo: Wyoming Tribute Eagle)

Link to another news outlet with the story.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad news.image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Topstuff,

Yeah sorry, damn that's tough to be confronted with, luckily , they stole the silver and left.

I appreciate you mentioning that , something to be aware of
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Not fair, just awful! I hope the family gets justice for this tragedy. My prayers are with both the family and the law enforcement team that is working the case.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes the good guys win:

Two of four maggots shot dead during an attempted robbery of local jewelry store. The other two were caught and will rot in prison. >>

Fantastic story - defeating multiple armed robbers! Cudos to the staff on their splendid performance during this robbery attempt.

As RickO said:

"Very sorry to hear this. A real shame. Constantly armed and trained is the only way to run a business like this today. Cheers, RickO"

I will echo the focus on TRAINED - absolutely critical.

As some on the forum know, my father shot and killed an armed robber who had a gun to my mother's head during an armed robbery attempt in their Baltimore store. My father was on crutches from an accident and thus having to shoot one-handed in a vary dynamic situation. His training saved his and my Mom's life.

Prayers for the family. Such a tragedy. I hope the scum is caught. Such a tragic, senseless loss.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    This post deserves to stay at the top until the murderer is caught. I was in Dwight's shop on numerous occasions and enjoyed his coin knowledge and sense of humor. I remember purchasing a really nice 1934 D Buffalo Nickel in a PCGS slab from him. I don't know what it will take to stop this kind of criminal activity.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any leads or arrest in the case yet? just wondering.
    This post deserves to stay at the top until the murderer is caught. I was in Dwight's shop on numerous occasions and enjoyed his coin knowledge and sense of humor. I remember purchasing a really nice 1934 D Buffalo Nickel in a PCGS slab from him. I don't know what it will take to stop this kind of criminal activity.

“It is easier to denature plutonium than to denature the evil spirit of man.”
    ¯ Albert Einstein

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>any leads or arrest in the case yet? just wondering. >>

You can follow this on Wyoming's Most Wanted.
    Captured!
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Captured! >>

Excellent!!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have not yet got the guy who did the coin shop murders. That site lists many wanted people. The guy recently pictured as "CAPTURED" was wanted on parole violations.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Bummer. Thank for catching that.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An updated article on the case

The suspect(s?) are still at large, but they do have a rough sketch and a class ring that was left behind during the incident.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this in an email from NCIC-apparently there's a reward being offered now:

$5,000 REWARD OFFERED

The Numismatic Crime Information Center is offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for shooting and killing two men at a rare-coin shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Police identify the victims of the July 20 shooting as 67-year-old Dwight Brockman, the shop owner, and 76-year-old George Manley. The two men were found dead at The Coin Shop.

Investigators say the suspect is a man around 5 feet, 7 inches tall, who was wearing a dark shirt at the time.

Anyone with information should contact:

Det.Pederson

307-637-6510

or

Doug Davis
    817-723-7231
    Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    I'm no forensics guy, but if that class ring came from the suspect, the state of the art indicates that's a giant clue toward catching the scumbag. With any luck they'll get the scent and the perp will manage not to be taken alive.
    I'm no forensics guy, but if that class ring came from the suspect, the state of the art indicates that's a giant clue...

I lost my high school class ring on two separate occasions and got it returned to me. Of course,the ring found at the crime scene may not belong to the killer but a major clue it certainly is in helping solve this senseless crime.

Inscription on ring reads SECRETARIA OFICINISTA: "SECRETARIA" means "SECRETARY" in English. "OFICINISTA" MEANS "CLERK."

Is there any information about what the killer may have taken from the shop before fleeing?

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering if the ring was perhaps part of some scrap gold that was dropped as the perp fled...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file