Home U.S. Coin Forum

I stopped collecting today

Klif50Klif50 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭
Just sent off the bulk of my collection to Great Collections, the rest to various Ebay sellers and now cleaning up the little dribs and drabs that I'll donate to the Boy Scouts or who ever will take them.

I turn 65 in a couple of months, have lost most of my eyesight so can't enjoy looking at the coins. Had a major heart scare the first of last week that landed me in the hospital for a few days. I got to thinking about what would the wife do with all the stuff I've accumulated. Decided to save her the trouble and I'm liquidating as hard as I can go. The only thing I'm holding on to is my silver hoard and she knows how to get rid of that. The rest requires negotiation and knowing what to send to who.

I never imagined I'd accumulate so much extra stuff but I'll sleep better knowing that everything will be turned into cash. Sames goes for the bulk of my guns (she'll keep a couple of shotguns and the AR 15 since she knows how to use them) and will get her carry license so she can carry my Sig since I'm not so steady on target and not so sure who/where the threat is any longer so I am not longer sure that I should carry a concealed weapon.

Selling off my hot rod (23 T bucket) since I'm having to give up my drivers license due to vision loss.

All my other collectibles are heading out the door except for stuff that I got from my mom and grandmother and that is being passed down to my daughter and her family.

I believe that I never really admitted to myself that this day would come but I am thankful that I get the opportunity to do the culling and selling and not having some stranger going through my stuff trying to decide what kind of rip the can get away with. It's a hard thing to admit to yourself that you are on the downhill slide and with limited time things need to be taken care of and who better to take care of them than the one who accumulated them.

I'll still hang around here. I've never had a lot to say but have been a faithful reader for many years. Large type makes it a little bit easier. Frequent naps take time away from the computer but that just goes with the territory.

I wish you all well and hope that each and everyone have a long time before you have to face the casting of your worldly goods to the four winds of heaven.

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't have been an easy decision and must be difficult to go through.

Wishing you the best as life moves forward and I hope you get top dollar and enjoy your memories of collecting!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry about your circumstances and I wish you good health moving forward.

JH
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost 70 and do the worry thing myself. However, I still have my eyesight and that keeps me going, for now.

Good decision you made and good luck with the sales!

bobimageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Couldn't have been an easy decision and must be difficult to go through.

Wishing you the best as life moves forward and I hope you get top dollar and enjoy your memories of collecting! >>

+1
    Best of luck to you and your family!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your medical trials. It is good to have time to take a higher perspective at life and make the best of it. I also have had some medical issues crop up recently including some lost eyesight. My hope is that you also have a deep faith to support you and to give you an eternal perspective. I know it makes a difference for me. May you get more days than you expect and make the most of them.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the health problems. Hope the sales go good and you get to enjoy the rest of your life (hope this is a long period of time) knowing your wife won't have to cope with this.

Good luck!image
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you stick around here and occasionally pipe in with your thoughts. It's always good to stay socially active, and reading about hobbies (even when one has sold their collection) can still stimulate the mind which is important to maintain good overall health. Sorry to hear of your situation, but I certainly appreciate your perspective to see the bright side of controlling your asset's destiny.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma, I'm sure most of us are closer to the same fork than we want to admit.

Recently I had my Apartment broken into, 4 times in 2 weeks. I'm living in Detroit as a sort of , dipping my toes in, before jumping in,
    type of experiment. Luckily for me I did this because Detroit and its ghetto ratt crime is not a good thing. The Police do absolutely nothing,
    even if they bother to show up. Anything the ratts want to do, they do it, and get away free.

I didn't have much in my Apartment, thank God, but the feeling of people busting in and having their way with your stuff is not a good feeling.
    So you taking care of business your way was a good thing. One thing you can at least be thankful for.

Now you just need to make peace with yourself and your world and realize many others have followed the path and many more will. Take care
    of yourself, my brother. Guess I need to start thinking of things myself.

I'd rather get rid of things my way than have some ratts do it for me.

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the news but wish you the best!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's to hoping for the best from here out.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    It sure is getting dusty in here, glad I still have some emotions left.
    Is very responsible of you, doing it your way, and on YOUR terms.
    Congrats for your willingness to donate some to the Scouts.
    I know the feeling, not as ill as you, my old Harley sits in the garage, a few times the wife hinted that I should sell it, as it is difficult to get it started, after I take a little spin, she see's how much joy it gives me, and, I like to work on old bikes.
    These young kids fresh from Tech. Training are lost.
    You take care, stay active, and, Please, 'stop in' and let us know how you are doing.
    God Bless You, and Your Family.
    Take Care!
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, it sounds like you have had a rough time recently. Hoping you take a turn for the better now. That must be tough to part with your toys but sounds like the right decision for your circumstances. Mrs VDB knows what to do if I go before her ... and who to call. Please do keep interested in coins or something else, it will help you keep your health. I have been trying to take better care of my health since I am nearly 66 and my Mom just turned 97. I want to stick around as long as I can but be healthy enough to enjoy it!

Best Wishes!

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the news but wish you the best!
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would rather leave explicit instructions then throw in the towel and sell everything! I hope you have a recovery from the bad stretch of health.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you and yours Klif50!
    Lord knows that the expression "life happens while you're busy making plans" applies to us all.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well thought out . . . .and good luck!

Many happy years of drifting in here and seeing this crew !

Drunner
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good work.
    As you intended, you will definitely save your wife a lot of extra heartache and loss by downsizing now, if you go before she does.
    The eyesight loss is a bummer, but it did give you this opportunity to take care of this without wondering when a good time for it would be.
    The older and very experienced collectors at my local coin club both stated they plan to liquidate their coin holdings themselves before they pass on.
    Probably the hard part is deciding when to start. Using a health event to start downsizing is a good choice, I think.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit when my wife died in 2009.

She was appreciative of coins throughout the 47 yr marriage.

I met another lady in 2012 and she is part of the household now.
    She and I ...both...enjoy whatever each other likes to do. (almost image)

My kids are completely disinterested. In me as well as the collection. But since I am enjoying the hobby again and don't much care what the kids think, I am back IN the race. At 74.

And enjoying it.

Sorry to hear of your health issues.
    My wife's death spurred me to make "arrangements" which I hadn't done.

But ...collecting.... hell yes, I'm gonna keep it up.

Kids can be a PITA!
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gutsy decision. Well done. You don't have to stop being a numismatist though. Best of luck to you. Have fun with the scouts. It's really fun working with kids and they seem to really enjoy holding, seeing, touching, and learning about the past.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I was sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, but heartened at the deliberate choices you have taken to make things easier for your heirs should you no longer be here to dispose of your collections at a later time. I can also relate to some of your problems. It was exactly 10 years ago today (June 29, 2005) that I had open heart surgery, and a total of five coronary bypasses. I was admitted to the hospital on June 10, diagnosed with congestive heart failure, plus the coronary artery blockage, and stayed in the hospital for nearly a month gathering my strength for the operation. I was just 56 at the time, and not yet done with life. I was fortunate to have a world class heart surgeon and an excellent cardiologist, and now ten years later, with some life-style adjustments of my own, I am happy to report that I am well. But such 'near death' experiences force us to rethink the way we conduct our daily lives. I did not sell my collection (my eyesight is still adequate to view even the tiny little half dimes ... with the aid of some good optics), but I updated my collection database for the benefit of my five adult children, none of whom are collectors, so that if they ever need to sell the collection they can become 'experts' in half dimes with the information stored there.

Be confident that life does go on after heart surgery, and with the miracles they perform today you can likely look forward to many more years with your family and loved ones. And although the decisions you made must have been very difficult, you are to be congratulated for having made those decisions now, while you can best direct the disposition of your collection. You can still participate in your hobby, both here on this forum, and also with the friends and fellow collectors you have no doubt made over the years. Think positive, do what your doctors tell you, and enjoy each and every day you experience. Any day spent on this side of the grass is a good day. Live long and happy - you are not alone.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have made some very difficult, but wise decisions.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Wishing you the very best.....

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Klif50 -- I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight and wish you the best. Thank you for sharing your life's experiences, it's one of many reasons this message board is invaluable to me.
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Klif50: Wishing you good health in all your endeavors. Thinking of the scouts, I'm sure you'd find a local scout troop interested in inheriting any of what you offer. Scouting has a Coin Collecting Merit Badge which can help get a lot of scouts into coin collecting. I'm a counselor, but not a lot of takers recently.

All the best,
    Brian
    53BKid
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best things about collecting is being around long enough to sell some of the things. And the beauty of the hobby is being able to enjoy it for a lifetime.
  • bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Good luck to you and thanks for sharing that story. It sure got me thinking. I turn 65 in 6 months and my decision day is coming soon.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to hear about your eyesight. i agree, as others have said, that selling can fun too. plus, there are plenty of great coins to look at on this site. i hope you are not done with coins, but just transitioning to another way to enjoy them besides collecting. good luck.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you all the best. Hopefully some remedies for what ails you will appear.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that, but it is a smart move to have your affairs in order.
    We all have a limited number of days and it is important to spend those days with what is important to us.

Even though you have given up collecting, you have time to spend with your family which is the most important thing.
  • Sorry to hear of your troubles. Wishing you all the best as you go forward!
    Smooth transactions with Gerard, mkman123, joebb21

Slabbed Gold For Sale
  • Kaline6Kaline6 Posts: 345
    I think you have done a very wise and brave thing and that it will be a blessing to your family.

Wishing you many happy days to come!
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry that you have to make such decisions at just 65 years old. I wish you well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope your health stabilizes and that you have many more years to enjoy the camaraderie we share as fellow collectors.
    I have shifted from the rabid buying phase of collecting to the slow disposition of coins for the same reasons you cite, it's not fair to leave this task to family who are up against some tough odds.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You, sir, are one class act. I wish you well, and I sure hope you can maintain the vision you still have. God bless you, and your wife.

I know it's difficult right now, but the fact you are thinking of others tells me all I need you know about you. Pure class. I wish you well....stay safe...stay positive....and keep on truck'in.

Take care,
    Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. There's still life after medical problems but you have to adapt exactly like you're doing already.

Get some new hobbies and take good care of yourself. I'm sure you'll always be welcome here.
    Tempus fugit.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klif50, sorry to hear of your health issues. I hope you continue as a forum member... you can still enjoy the large pictures of coins that are posted here... best of luck with your sales. Cheers, RickO
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you well, too. image
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one here or anywhere is immune to Time.
    Life has wonderful things to offer every day. Hope you can use your new funds to go relax and enjoy something great
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭
    I think if I was losing my vision I would keep a couple circulated Morgan dollars and a maybe a few Walkers that I could hold and touch and maybe carry around in my pocket.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.........I'm keeping my collections til the day I die. Sure, I fear they will end up in some box and sold for $5 at the local auction.............little kid, 'mommy, I'm thirsty. Mom: "Well, we'll just pop out a few of these shinny nickels from this album we got from the auction today and splurge for one of those 32 oz sodas! kid; Oh mom, you're the greatest!

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klif50-
    It sound like you've had a rough patch though you're coming out of it and made some tough decisions.
    Best of luck to you and I'm hoping you the best in health going forward.
    None of us are getting any younger.
    Hopefully your eyesight decline is slower than speedy.
    Good you're making these moves now.
    Take care, and don't be a stranger here.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is much more sensible than Bear's creation of a legacy collection.
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bayard1908:

I liked Bear's idea but, as you indicate, it just didn't turn out well. Too bad. I hope Bear did not have any inkling of what was going to happen.
    Mark

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are truly a Gentleman, thinking of your Family first and that is a wonderful selfless act.

My Mother died on 5/6/15 and we are still attempting to "Disperse" with her belongings and collections. It is a time exhausting effort, not to mention the personal side.

I admire your actions and wish you simply the best of luck in the future and thank you for sharing.

Take care...

Later, Paul.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry about your circumstances and I wish you good health moving forward.

JH >>

same here and all the best.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I wish you all the best and applaud your choices. I am the same age almost (66) and tell ALL my friends, if you have the money to retire, do it while you have your health. I have begun to lose contemporaries at an alarming rate, luckily I am in good health. I will be doing the same thing you are when things begin to deteriorate.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your thread title is jarring.
    A reminder that we all stop collecting at some point. Some get to pick that day, others don't.

Like someone else said, you can still be a numismatist and I hope you continue if you have that desire.

Best of luck.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I wish you all the best image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best wishes to you and thank you for sharing a great hobby with all of us on this forum. Certainly you are doing the responsible action in liquidating your investment, as only you can do best. But you may just have a lot of time on your hands with not too much to do awaiting the inevitable. May I suggest taking a small part of your proceeds and pursue collections that are more affordable. I often do this myself when my disposable cash is short or when the available market inventory is not present. Just simple stuff where each coin can be had for less than $50 +-.

Let us know how you doing........we care.

OINK
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    Klif50:

I feel for what you are going through, and wish you only the best.

Several years ago, I suffered a detached retina in one eye, and the start of a cataract in the other. Suddenly, the things I loved to do the most became the hardest things to continue with.

I can no longer look at my coins at length, as the vision is blurred on the best of days, and any chance reflection of light off a shiny coin (or eating utensil, car window/mirror, or bright sunlight thru the blinds, etc) can spoil things for the rest of the day.........

I can't see dates or detail well enough to look for any varieties, etc, or often even their mintmark.

Add to that the fact that my Dad passed away just recently, and I've seen first-hand how hard it is to go thru paperwork & collected accumulations of close to a century of family, financial, etc records maintained by even one of the most well-documented people around, and I've come to see everything from a new perspective.......

Ever since, I have been doing my best to rein-in my accumulations (be they coins or paperwork/records), to a level that hopefully my wife and kids won't find too overwhelming, and that sets us all up for the day my eyesight fails completely. But it's not easy. I'm definitely my Father's Son when it comes to accumulating and documenting - - I just do it mainly via the computer vs handwritten.............

The one "luxury" I have, however, is that my coin collection is not very large or valuable, and hopefully nobody will ever need to sell any of it to make ends meet. To me, collecting has always just been a hobby from youth carried on through all my years..... slowly expanding and filing in the gaps in blue Whitman folders. It's just who I am, and I hope the boys keep their portions and continue to add to them over the years as a remembrance of me and my hobbies long after I'm gone, making for an interesting collection of "history" - - coins of size and heft and artistry that just aren't made/circulated anymore, gathered by a loved one who also isn't around anymore....... if that makes sense.

But when adversity hits one full in the face like my vision issues have, it does make one step back and appreciate what one's had all this time & what will be missed.... and of one's own legacy and meaning/impact on others.

Best of luck and health to you!

- - Daveimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file