Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG: Will this 1881-CC go 65?

Hey guys,

I picked up this 81 with a couple other 81-cc and common date cc morgans. I was curious if you guys think this would go 65 at ATS or our host. I like the coin as a 5 with the frosty devices but wasn't sure if the bag marks between 4-5 o'clock on the obverse would hold it back. For what I paid as a raw coin, 64 money in a holder won't help.

Thanks

imageimage
JG Numismatics
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

Comments

• Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Close, very close. Worth a try, though I would call it a textbook 64.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it wasent for the mark on the cheekbone I believe it would
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Think the mark on the cheek will keep her at 64.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a chance at either service. The frosty cameo may offset the mark(s)....esp. if the coin has blasty luster. Though do figure the services are probably a bit tougher on CC's that aren't 83 and 84. The spread from 64 to 65 on an 81-cc is not all that big so that's in your favor.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has more than a 50-50 chance of going 65 at either service. Nice coin.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it has more than a 50-50 chance of going 65 at either service. Nice coin. >>

+1

Tom

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it all depends on the depth of the mark on the cheek. These are tricky when they are DMPL or PL.

My guess is Ms 64.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a good shot for 65 at NGC and 64 with PCGS.

Good looking 81-CC image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the marks on the obverse and the cheek slash, I would think it will remain 64.... if not for the cheek, it could well be 65. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark on cheek will keep it at 63 most likely (its a stretch to get 64 on that) if not 60-62. If you paid above 60 money on a raw coin like this you paid too much. For me the mark (gash?) on the cheek would cause me to deselect the coin regardless of TPG grade, who's holder, sticker, etc. The guy probably cracked it out from a 61 -63 holder to sell it raw. Wow he did really well if you paid around 64 money. Is that a spot around the Y in LIBERTY? It does have really good strike and super luster. What a shame that mark on cheek.

The numbers, holder, sticker game is one thing but a buyer has to want it for you to get all the money. Good luck with it.

I would send it in, get it graded, and put it out on the Bay as minimum bid at bluesheet. Then if it did not sell after a few weeks, would just let her rip with MB of 9.95 - perhaps someone would like its other redeeming features and bid it up. This is no 65 coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I think it all depends on the depth of the mark on the cheek. >>

JGN: I think that the contact mark on the upper cheek behind and below Miss Liberty's eye in a prime focal area may hold it back to either MS-64 or 64+.

Is there some kind of discoloration between Miss Liberty's jaw and the 3rd /4th stars to the left of the date?

It looks like an attractive coin that I'd try to purchase raw for MS-62 to 63 money, while accepting the grading risk.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you will be ok ATS Nice Dollar. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No idea what either TPG would say but as a buyer 64 would be the number I would give it.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for all the comments,

Few notes:

-Personally, I technically grade the coin a 64 and am hoping ATS they'll put it GEM due to frosty devices and eye appeal. Who really knows though right haha....
    -There is no discoloration as far as I can see, my amateur photos don't help any
    -I purchased the coin for less then 60 money and know the coin has never been slabbed based off where it came from
    -The mark on the cheek IMO is very minimal. Its a minor mark in hand and not a gash.
    -I added a darker photo for fun and if it ends up slabbed I'll be sure to post an update

Thanks again

Jake

imageimage
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    or just type in JGnumismatics into google
    PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member
    Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with one of the first posters - that coin is a textbook 64 and I would have expected near unanimous agreement. It has a great look but that's a fairly serious mark on the cheek, and it has some marks near 5 o'clock as you mentioned. I have a coin that is extremely similar to this in a 64 holder (basically a 66 but with one noticeable hit). I don't think this has any real chance at a 65. A 63+ wouldn't shock me, but as stated, I'd say 85% this comes back a 64.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No judgement possible as the photo is badly overexposed. Overexposed photos can easily hide defects.

Based on the second photos I would say 64 with a shot at 65 on a good day.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with one of the first posters - that coin is a textbook 64 and I would have expected near unanimous agreement. It has a great look but that's a fairly serious mark on the cheek, and it has some marks near 5 o'clock as you mentioned. I don't think this has any real chance at 65. >>

I agree with this. Textbook 64.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>-The mark on the cheek IMO is very minimal. Its a minor mark in hand and not a gash. >>

Regardless of the depth, it's a serious distraction in a prime focal area. At 65, I would consider
    the coin over-graded.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a 60-65% shot at 65 at either service. Terrific coin - Best wishes with the submission

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I agree, it looks 64 but sometimes they give cc's a bump.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the traditional "CC Bump" in grade . . . . . talked about not only here but all over at shows nationwide . .

A good shot at 65 . . .

Drunjner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file