Home U.S. Coin Forum

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Mint has placed placeholder pages for the high relief coins.

2015 High Relief 24K Gold Coin (UH8) Release date December 2015.
2015 High Relief Silver Medal (UH9) Release date December 2015.

Comments

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    I will probably buy the silver only.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't even have designs to show us yet. I don't suppose it will be another version of the St. Gaudens "striding liberty." If it is, those who have the 2009 version might see a drop in the value of their holdings.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't even have designs to show us yet. I don't suppose it will be another version of the St. Gaudens "striding liberty." If it is, those who have the 2009 version might see a drop in the value of their holdings.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver medal....? Hmm.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They don't even have designs to show us yet. I don't suppose it will be another version of the St. Gaudens "striding liberty." If it is, those who have the 2009 version might see a drop in the value of their holdings. >>

From a late January Coin Update Blog:

CCAC Recommendations

I still don't think designs should be judged from line art. Make 3D models of 'em.

Edit to change link to a newer article.
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feed Me!!!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Feed Me!!! >>

Looks like Kelly Ripa. image

Hoard the keys.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just do not like design by committee.... I prefer an artist be selected, told to design a coin depicting America, Freedom and Justice....and let her/him produce it... Committees always produce mediocrity. Cheers, RickO
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've pretty much stopped buying new coins, preferring to focus on 200+ year old coins that were minted to be money, rather than collectibles, and served as such by long years in circulation.

I do make occasional exceptions (Jefferson's Liberty, the 2009 UHR, a couple others) not sure whether I will get one of these in either metal, will need to see the better rendition of the design

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Or jessica alba

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted the silver medal version on a past thread out there somewhere.

on the medals, there will be fewer inscriptions, as medals are not required by law to have anything - EPU, IGWT, Liberty.

the design will be the same though.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the eagle.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or this:

My family thinks it's
    ScarJo

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just do not like design by committee.... I prefer an artist be selected, told to design a coin depicting America, Freedom and Justice....and let her/him produce it... Committees always produce mediocrity. Cheers, RickO >>

Couldn't agree more. Anytime a committee is controlling any kind of artistic endeavor, be it coins, sculpture, literature, etc…, the result is almost always mass market junk.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

<< <i>

<< <i>I just do not like design by committee.... I prefer an artist be selected, told to design a coin depicting America, Freedom and Justice....and let her/him produce it... Committees always produce mediocrity. Cheers, RickO >>

Couldn't agree more. Anytime a committee is controlling any kind of artistic endeavor, be it coins, sculpture, literature, etc…, the result is almost always mass market junk. >>

If I got the gist of the CCAC meeting, the artists designed their liberty and the committee simply chose from the lot.

(Angelina Jolie)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for . . .

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I don't like it - she seems to be somewhat morbid and has no life. St. Gaudens' design is definitely superior.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consensus assures mediocrity...... and when artists design for committee selection they do not design with true artistic license. Cheers, RickO
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Not likely and not a fan.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Couldn't agree more. Anytime a committee is controlling any kind of artistic endeavor, be it coins, sculpture, literature, etc…, the result is almost always mass market junk. >>

If I got the gist of the CCAC meeting, the artists designed their liberty and the committee simply chose from the lot.

(Angelina Jolie) >>

MsMorrisine and other senior members, please write to the committee and indicate the poor choice of selecting the liberty design. I like the reverse eagle. I would have written my displeasure if I knew who is who in this business. Please note that I am not trying to pass the buck, even though it may appear as such. Al
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

(Angelina Jolie) >>

MsMorrisine and other senior members, please write to the committee and indicate the poor choice of selecting the liberty design. I like the reverse eagle. I would have written my displeasure if I knew who is who in this business. Please note that I am not trying to pass the buck, even though it may appear as such. Al >>

You could write a letter a day. All you will do is waste time and postage. It will only fall on deaf ears
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
    After one CCAC call I feel this:
    1) The Mint is using in house design for this.
    2) The CCAC has been given a set of designs to choose and they chose.
    3) Someone quipped about "hearing from people" about something, but I don't recall what. They do listen.
    4) They don't know "senior" or whatever of us. Everyone can write. (faxing them is easier for me, though I could email.)

5) This is perhaps most important: it's in the hands of the mint now. The people to contact are them. For me, it's never too late to wave them off.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certain this will look different when it is in metal, but she reminds me of something like Zombie Apocalypse.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Maybe if she had more flowing hair. The short hair does not do it for me. The attempt to make her a modern liberty is not succeeding.
    Yep. I'm not buying until I see what the final product looks like. I still don't see how they could choose a high-relief design from a 2-D image.

BTW, the CCAC is looking for a new member:

CCAC Applications Sought to Represent Interests of Public

There's also an interesting link on that page back to 2007 on who actually designs our coins:

Who’s Responsible for U.S. Coinage Design?
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe if she had more flowing hair. The short hair does not do it for me. The attempt to make her a modern liberty is not succeeding. >>

Maybe a smile would help.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me the odd man out, but I find her quite attractive. Face it, we're not a young country anymore, so young Liberty doesn't fit (yes, I know we're young when compared to Europe, but Europe's countries have changed their borders early and often). This young woman looks like she's had some experiences and is contemplating the future.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. It will be interesting to see how she looks in high relief...

Edit: and the eagle is stupendous!
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>Yep. I'm not buying until I see what the final product looks like. I still don't see how they could choose a high-relief design from a 2-D image.

BTW, the CCAC is looking for a new member:

CCAC Applications Sought to Represent Interests of Public

There's also an interesting link on that page back to 2007 on who actually designs our coins:

Who’s Responsible for U.S. Coinage Design? >>

I took your advice and sent the following email to: info@ccac.gov
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am on several coin discussion boards (Collectors Universe, Coin Talk, and others), and most of us think that the Obverse design of the 2015 High Relief Gold and Silver coins as proposed is very unattractive: http://news.coinupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/O-11-C-464x600.jpg

The Reverse design of the coin (Eagle) could not be any better! http://news.coinupdate.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/R-01-C-464x600.jpg

Many collectors have indicated that they would not purchase the coins if the Obverse design is not changed. Please consider another (Greek/Roman) design like President Theodore Roosevelt had expressed.

Sincerely,

Al
  • What ugly designs! The Artists need to be more creative. Those designs are just an Insult to Lady Liberty.
    Just my two cents.
    ~Bill
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Call me the odd man out, but I find her quite attractive. >>

and I do see a striking resemblance to Michelle Pfeiffer.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭
    She is definitely a modern looking Liberty. Personally if she is getting compared to Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johansson, Angelina Jolie or Michelle Pfeiffer many feel she is a beautiful looking Lady and I agree. As for the Eagle what a great looking National bird!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were these authorized by Congress under any particular law, or umbrellaed in by the Mint under some other law, or did the Mint just say "What the Heck! Let's do it!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Serious question. WHat law authorized these?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Serious question. WHat law authorized these? >>

It has become clear that laws do not matter to those in this government.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    Umbrella

They are listed in the numis media about these issue

The UHR gold is under the same that allowed the 2009 UHR where the current law allows the Secretary to make changes to the gold eagle bullion

The medal comes under their broad numismatic authority

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Appears to be a seek approval situation -

"The Mint would have to seek approval from the secretary of the U.S. Treasury to strike the gold coin and silver medal, Stafford noted."

High-relief eyed for 2015 Posted on July 24, 2014 by Debbie Bradley
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It has become clear that laws do not matter to those in this government. >>

Lay off the politics. This is a coin board, period. End of story. EOM.

<< <i>

Appears to be a seek approval situation -

"The Mint would have to seek approval from the secretary of the U.S. Treasury to strike the gold coin and silver medal, Stafford noted."

High-relief eyed for 2015 Posted on July 24, 2014 by Debbie Bradley >>

Great! Thank you!

I actually have these pages bookmarked.

As for the Silver Medal:

U.S. Code § 5111 - Minting and issuing coins, medals, and numismatic items
    Relevant text:

<< <i>(a)The Secretary of the Treasury—
    (1)shall mint and issue coins described in section 5112 of this title in amounts the Secretary decides are necessary to meet the needs of the United States;
    (2)may prepare national medal dies and strike national and other medals if it does not interfere with regular minting operations but may not prepare private medal dies;
    (3)may prepare and distribute numismatic items; and
    (4)may mint coins for a foreign country if the minting does not interfere with regular minting operations, and shall prescribe a charge for minting the foreign coins equal to the cost of the minting (including labor, materials, and the use of machinery). >>

I assume (a)(2) covers the medal.

U.S. Code § 5112 - Denominations, specifications, and design of coins
    Relevant text:

<< <i>(C)The Secretary may continue to mint and issue coins in accordance with the specifications contained in paragraphs (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection (a) and paragraph (1)(A) of this subsection at the same time the Secretary in minting and issuing other bullion and proof gold coins under this subsection in accordance with such program procedures and coin specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time. >>

Paragraphs 7, 8, 9 and 10 specify the AGE sizes and weights, and 1A specifies the design, and the wording indicates the Secretary of the Treasury has the ability to authorize a gold coin without congress' approval.

So all the Mint has to do is get the Secretary to authorize it, and off they go!

Both pages are interesting reads. Explains Commemorative numbers of clad, silver and gold, the Sacabuc and its redesigns, the quarter (50 state and ATB) program and others.

Note, I am not a lawyer, and don't even play one anywhere.
    31 usc 5111 (a) (2)
    not broad numismatic authority under it in (3), but broad medal making authority in (2)

(2)may prepare national medal dies and strike national and other medals if it does not interfere with regular minting operations but may not prepare private medal dies;

(3)may prepare and distribute numismatic items; and

31 usc 5112 (i) (4) (C)
    (4)
    (C)The Secretary may continue to mint and issue coins in accordance with the specifications contained in paragraphs (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection (a) and paragraph (1)(A) of this subsection at the same time the Secretary in minting and issuing other bullion and proof gold coins under this subsection in accordance with such program procedures and coin specifications, designs, varieties, quantities, denominations, and inscriptions as the Secretary, in the Secretary’s discretion, may prescribe from time to time.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to see pics of the actual coin before I know whether I'll like it or not.

The Mint seems to be doing a 2008 repeat - bombarding us with so many offerings and so many varieties that before it's over, the buying will drop off.

And they will discontinue a bunch of them.

And some of them will be "scarce".

In the process, another bunch of Modern collectors will go away.

That's just the way it is. Hey! It's the Mint! Don't ever forget it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Not sure if it was always there, but pics of coin posted and release date is now in July. I saw somewhere it would be July 23rd

UHR 2015
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

image >>

BINGO!!! We know who the model is now.
    Hey, $100 face value, for a gold coin. Interesting!

<< <i>Not sure if it was always there, but pics of coin posted and release date is now in July. I saw somewhere it would be July 23rd

UHR 2015 >>

Well, not only that, but the Silver Medal (UH9) has been removed from the schedule, and placeholder page removed from the catalog.

• << <i>I like it and I'll pick one up.

JH >>

I like it too. Gonna be pricey though, at least $1500 I'd presume
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    They should save that obverse design for anorexia awareness month.

CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file