Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Roger Burdette: "The Best Rendition of the Peace Dollar to Leave the Mint"

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
LINK TO STACKS RARITIES SALE

Beautiful Coin and Roger Burdette is quoted at the top. You know what? I think I agree with Roger. The coin is BEAUTIFUL.
Roger is a great numismatic mind. Too bad he isn't on these forums. image
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Price Guide: $350,000

Sweet coin!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have a super strong strike like that for my Peace Dollar type.

Magnificent!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    So basically, the hit on the cheek appears to be a 4 point deduction.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So basically, the hit on the cheek appears to be a 4 point deduction. >>

There are a couple other minor flaws that I think the graders noticed. Still a one of a kind type coin.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So basically, the hit on the cheek appears to be a 4 point deduction. >>

I'd say it's a one or two point deduction. The coin is not perfect otherwise. There are some small hits and toning spots.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One finer at PCGS....

PR67 Simpson Pedigree
    PCGS Price Guide: $400,000
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'll learn to be more tolerant of coins with a hit to Liberty's cheek since that Peace piece blows me away.

Pardon me but this image fits on my monitor so I can enjoy the piece better.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two pictured coins are exactly what I would want to have a Peace Dollar look like. All of the details, including the hair and lettering fully struck up.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!

The mark on the cheek looks like a planchet flaw.

I wish they had made a few thousand of these in 1921 for sale to collectors.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful Peace buck, my goodness. The defect on the cheek appears to be from the striking process.
    It doesn't come across as post mint damage, more like the die was damaged. What do you guys think?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    A bit of debris appears to have adhered to the die before striking the OP coin.

It also looks like one of the Mint workers was "ordered" to file down the rims. The striking was probably a tad "strong" to bring up the central relief resulting in a bit of 'wire rim' effect.

I wonder, do all of the (PCGS #: 7383) examined thus far exhibit rim filing ???
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish they had made a few thousand of these in 1921 for sale to collectors. >>

Yup, but as long as we're wishing, I wish the transfer from de Francisci's plasters to the working dies could have been better and the strike problems figured out to allow for high-relief coins through the entire production run. That would have elevated this to one of the most beautiful coin series in world history.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gorgeous!

The mark on the cheek looks like a planchet flaw. . . >>

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Roger. I love the design but hate the execution of about 99.999% of peace dollars. This one is different.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colonel and Capt:

In this case, is it possible to tell the difference between a planchet flaw versus a piece of grit on the die when the coin was struck?
    Mark

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoldBully, Thanks for posting a great thread on a truly magnificent 1922 High Relief Sand Blast (Matte) Proof Peace Dollar. image

As is most often the case, I agree with Roger Burdette's (RWB's) assessment that this is "The Best Rendition of the Peace Dollar to Leave the Mint". image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's beautiful.

I know they send some collectors into apoplectic fits of rage, but for those of us more fiscally challenged the dcarr '64 peace dollars are an affordable alternative:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>Colonel and Capt:

In this case, is it possible to tell the difference between a planchet flaw versus a piece of grit on the die when the coin was struck? >>

Sometimes. A piece of debris will usually leave a sharply-defined outline as the metal in the planchet conformed to it. A hole in the planchet prior to the strike will usually show the outline seeming to be flowing into the hole during the strike. You really need to see it in hand to be sure.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

It has several smaller pits around the larger pit.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CaptHenway:

Thanks. Your answer makes a great deal of sense. (As always!)
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>image

It has several smaller pits around the larger pit. >>

OK, that looks more like a strike-through. Thanks for the closeup.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well RWB knows his stuff better than most. He too would know… it has to be one of the very "first strikes " ™.
    As the dies could not take the stress.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a truly beautiful Peace Dollar... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Instead of a hit, I'm pretty sure that's a strike through or perhaps a flawed planchet on the cheek.

But then how does the mint allow for such a significant flaw (and it is significant) on a special strike like this? Seriously, it's not like they were stamping 2,000,000 proof sets in 1922? It makes no sense.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Instead of a hit, I'm pretty sure that's a strike through or perhaps a flawed planchet on the cheek.

But then how does the mint allow for such a significant flaw (and it is significant) on a special strike like this? Seriously, it's not like they were stamping 2,000,000 proof sets in 1922? It makes no sense. >>

These were not made for sale to picky collectors. THey were made to show interested parties how the design work was progressing.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonderful Peace buck, my goodness. The defect on the cheek appears to be from the striking process.
    It doesn't come across as post mint damage, more like the die was damaged. What do you guys think? >>

...I think it got by the inspectors...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file