Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A SC$ question.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Should HK-8 be de-listed and removed from the catalogue??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a proponent of delisting it, then state your case. I see the issue as having just as much if not more standing in the H-K reference by the established criteria than a lot of other listings. Unless you can prove otherwise, it appears that these were imported from England for distribution at the N.Y. Crystal Palace during the Exhibition for the Industry of all nations.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    first of all, I'm not looking for an argument.

to your response, you appear to be saying that de-listing it needs some sort of irrefutable proof to your opinion that "it appears" they were brought here for the Exposition in New York. I had never heard anything to that effect, but the 1st and 2nd Editions are clear:
    -----Manufactured by Pinches of London, these medals are actually British and should not have been included even in the 1963 edition of this reference. Originally opened as part of The Great Exhibition of 1851, the Crystal Palace was moved after the close of the Exhibition from its original location in Hyde Park; reopened on Sydenham Hill in London by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert on June 10, 1854. Original building destroyed by fire on Nov. 30, 1936; site of current Crystal Palace Park. the irony is that the medal is attributed as HK-8 for the 1853 New York Exhibition and the linked description from the book pertains to the London event.

to the medal itself, I consider it one of the most lovely examples in the book, very elegant and using symbolism to great effect. I have owned one in the past and probably will own one again someday. I am open to discussion about its inclusion, but I obviously feel it shouldn't be in the book. it was issued for an entirely different event.

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    How the hell do we 'de-list' keets and remove him from the catalogue?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love keets
    & i love lucy
    Then again, if this is what it takes to bring the ladies out, well and good.

What does HK stand for ? hate keets ?
  • Options
    i love keets & i love lucy image
    If this is what it takes to bring the lady out, well and good.

What is HK ???
    hate keets' questions ?

I think what keets meant was : Do you like the HK-8 as a so called $

Correct me if wrong brother and sisters.
  • Options
    You know Keets… the guys who get the hardest time are loved the most.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why single out this one vs. the many others that objectively don't fit the guidelines?
  • Options
    Keets, sometimes you drive me nuts. According to your position, " but the 1st and 2nd Editions are clear:"

Yes, the authors are clear about the history of the Crystal Palace structure constructed in England and its eventual destruction. What the authors failed to make clear, is that the New York Crystal Palace was constructed in New York City almost simultaneously as an architectural copy of that London structure, albeit on a smaller scale. The New York Crystal Palace was constructed in 1853, prior to the opening of the Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations. Even though the medals were produced in Sydenham in both sizes (39 mm and 63 mm), they were made in sufficient quantities as to make it feasible to market them in New York as well as London. Just because the date on the medals indicates the year of reopening (1854) of the London structure does not preclude the possibility that these were sold as souvenirs to visitors of the New York Crystal Palace. Certainly the 63 mm medals exceed the size criteria for So Called Dollars, but the 39 mm size is every bit a legitimate inclusion for the reason stated above. To maintain that the HK-8 does not deserve a designation as a So Called Dollar would be comparable to taking a position that the medals of the Betts reference have no standing as Americana. Furthermore, by your position, the 1781 Libertas Americana medals struck in Paris would have no longer deserve domestic recognition as the greatest example of a medal symbolic of American history. Would you really think that even the 100 or so 1781 bronze Libertas Americana medals were only struck for sale to French citizens ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    Dupe post.image

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look two guys get together over a weekend have a few beers and take their collections out, write down what they have and publish it.....fast forward....set in stone ....gotta have it...

If you like collecting along a certain path then you leave the book as it is and collect it....

if you want to argue the point, go grab a drink, buy thousands of other pieces that fit the criteria and enjoy your collection and dont worry if its in a book or not

I say its like going to an ice cream shop... you like rocky road, I like mint chip...doesnt make you a bad guy and doesnt mean my flavor is better than yours....at the end of the day....its what you like!
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    hey 'deuce, we both have sig-lines that are the same. what's that all about??image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file