Home U.S. Coin Forum

My latest newp, your opine is invited.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
I really had to stretch for this one, but had to have it:
[img]http://i59.tinypic.com/rkylqv.jpg[img]

thanks Barndog or helping the technology challengedimage

Comments

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot. tough to grade from the small photos.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it a lot. tough to grade from the small photos. >>

how about this?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is too small for an assessment...however not too small to see the "CC".

Spoke too soon... it appears to be a weak strike, but I would give it an XF45.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
    AU50?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin! Definitely not my series but I was thinking AU50.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A weak strike for sure. However..............image >>

Must be MS. I'll guess 62+
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grade on this coin has always puzzled me. Even factoring in the weak strike, I grade it AU53.
    How about a luster shot instead of a color shot? Luster makes wear easier to see.
  • au 55 with bump for eyeball
    singularityguru on ebay

successful BST sales with: mightyhunter
  • indeetlibindeetlib Posts: 607 ✭✭
    Wow, pretty wild looking coin. I don't see much wear...how about AU58+?
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    I think I have seen that coin before. It's quite lustrous if I recall correctly. image
  • dibdib Posts: 311
    58? No clue, but I really like the coin!
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50 ... but it would not be a coin for me due to the weak strike.

The color can't mitigate the weak strike, though I suspect many others would not agree with me on this.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU53

Looks like wear more than a weak strike and I can't see any luster whatsoever with that photo.
    If that is one of those fantasy photos where the coin looks nothing like that in hand, I just don't understand.
    If the coin looks nothing like that then how can we be expected to grade from it.

Congrats on the CC T$1 pick-up regardless.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Realone, I like your newp. You have a great eye for the good ones !
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    55 pretty
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool and looks very familiar image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to grade accurately from pictures but appears high AU
  • RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!! LOVE the colors on this one! Excellent coin.
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill guess AU58. Stunning coin.
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin but it doesn't compare to capped bust dimes!!
    LOL
    Easton Collection
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin! Did you buy that from Crypto? image
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, pretty wild looking coin. I don't see much wear...how about AU58+? >>

I agree with indeetlib, and I like it!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like it up to no more than a 63 grade. PCGS would definitely grade this 1 MS pt lower than whatever NGC did. Don't see this being a circ coin. Some slight luster breakage in the left obv field near stars 1,2,3. The kind of original coin I like...but always seem to be in the minority considering the strike. >90% of the collecting community see this as XF/AU (maybe they're right?). The weak strike areas don't bother me too much. It's a 75-cc after all....not a 75-s. Would like to be able to buy as MS61/62 but doubt this is likely. One thing I'm not sure of is that Liberty's left knee appears to have a spot of rub/missing toning. Liberty's weak left foot coincides nicely with the eagle's weak upper wing.

The kind of coin that if it walks into your local B&M raw....you hope you can buy it as an XF or AU. If this were an 1807 or 1808 CBH, most everyone would call the weaknesses strike and not rub. Seated coins get a bad rap...image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Coin! jmski52-approved.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks 63 to me - 64 if extremely lustrous as stated
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks 63 to me - 64 if extremely lustrous as stated >>

Are we looking at the same coin here? I mean, I know you're the "guru" of this series -- but that sure looks like 100% certain wear on the head, breast, and down the leg of the obverse Ms. Liberty. It's a lovely coin, but I see AU all day long -- though I know nothing of this series compared to you.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

<< <i>

Are we looking at the same coin here? I mean, I know you're the "guru" of this series -- but that sure looks like 100% certain wear on the head, breast, and down the leg of the obverse Ms. Liberty. It's a lovely coin, but I see AU all day long -- though I know nothing of this series compared to you.

image >>

Be leery of "certain" wear, especially when it only appears in isolated spots. How can only one breast be worn on Miss Liberty? When grading for wear look at the best details on the coin, not the worst. Look at the obv rim from 12 to 6 o'clock. It's wide, flat, craggy, and showing some luster. That doesn't usually happen on a circulated coin...exceptions being coins that were commonly handled by their owners hence wearing only the rims. Liberty's center drapery, arms, and right leg are nicely detailed and rounded. Wouldn't they be worn too?
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toning seems to stop or looks a different shade where the "wear" is.why?

<< <i>The toning seems to stop or looks a different shade where the "wear" is.why? >>

That could also be stated as that the coloration is a different shade wherever the strike quality is much different (luster and/or toning will appear different on weakly struck areas). Field toning/coloration will often change where luster depth changes significantly. The rims wear first along with the coins very highest points. Why would that wire rim from 12-1 o'clock still be left...that's as high as you can get?

On the flip side, photos can "lie." The coin can look totally different in hand. Even if the coin is a technical unc, it could be net graded down to AU58 just because of the weak strike. If 95% of market participants see the coin as an AU....that's a likely starting point for grade assignment. Eye appeal includes strike too. Realone will give us the rest of the story in the near future.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Be leery of "certain" wear, especially when it only appears in isolated spots. How can only one breast be worn on Miss Liberty? When grading for wear look at the best details on the coin, not the worst. Look at the obv rim from 12 to 6 o'clock. It's wide, flat, craggy, and showing some luster. That doesn't usually happen on a circulated coin...exceptions being coins that were commonly handled by their owners hence wearing only the rims. Liberty's center drapery, arms, and right leg are nicely detailed and rounded. Wouldn't they be worn too? >>

All completely valid questions roadrunner. The pictures don't show the luster at all -- they are clearly taken to "emphasize" the purdy toning. I admit freely that I am not familiar with this series at all, but based on the wear patterns alone it doesn't look MS to me. May the plastic say "MS"? Sure, that's completely possible. I appreciate your insight as to how a coin that's truly UNC may look like this. Based on the other guess, I guess I'm not the only one who sees it this way. image
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

Looking at a bigger image there's too much chatter for 64, so I will change my extremely lustrous top to 63. I still see an unc coin tho
    ......The pictures don't show the luster at all -- they are clearly taken to "emphasize" the purdy toning.

I would disagree. That field luster seems very apparent to me based on the toning pattern. I know there's luster buried in the feather details and around the peripherals. That's obvious. If that wasn't there then we'd have a different conclusion. The luster in the fields seems fine to me. Possibly up to 95% complete.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GORGEOUS!
    Many happy BST transactions
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the OP never replied, that only leads me to assume that the image posted is a fantasy photo.

For a GTG thread, it sure would be nice to have a photo of what the coin actually looks like rather some abstract false advertisement.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a very eye-appealing AU-55 coin there.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction when I saw this coin was also an UNC, but couldn't tell whether I liked 62 or 63 because it is hard to tell how much luster there was on this coin. When I saw others proclaiming AU-ish grades, I thought ... well, I guess I can understand why they think that. It's hard to grade from an image, especially when there are nuanced issues like strike vs wear, and how much luster.

Since this coin is very tough in 63 and the fields aren't so clean, I'll guess 62. But, a pretty coin no matter the label. Nice get, RO. Congrats.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RealOne: Congrats on picking up a very colorful, attractive, eye-appealing CC Trade Dollar. image

I'd guess the grade to be AU-55 based on the PCGS True View photos provided, but based on your posts I suspect that you'll reveal something different... image

So what's The Rest of the Story??

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Very pretty coin. I have never been able to determine a weak strike as opposed to some minor wear on anything other than a Morgan. I can't see this being MS, so I'll guess a beautiful AU58.

<< <i>My first reaction when I saw this coin was also an UNC, but couldn't tell whether I liked 62 or 63 because it is hard to tell how much luster there was on this coin. When I saw others proclaiming AU-ish grades, I thought ... well, I guess I can understand why they think that. It's hard to grade from an image, especially when there are nuanced issues like strike vs wear, and how much luster.

Since this coin is very tough in 63 and the fields aren't so clean....

EVP >>

Agreed. On a larger image, it looks like circulation wear in the left obverse field. The weaker high points still look unc
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what causes this kind of neon day-glow toning? I've seen a few other coins like this and have wondered how they ended up in this state. (no, I would never try to achieve this myself, not why I'm asking)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Those reverse colors are wild.

Very nice!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a winner. I have no clue about the strike characteristics of these & therefore won't venture a guess as to grade, but the appearance is obviously fantastic regardless.
    mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file