Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Remember the size of Coinworld years ago?

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I remember it being the size of a large newspaper.
Now the last issue was 50 pages.
I think the size of coinworld and the market go hand in hand.
Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many of those 50 pages are nothing but advertisements?
  • Options
    I will say this...
    NOT the best way to find out about a friend passing, but if it wasn't for Coinworld I would have known?

Dean may you RIP and I will remember you getting you 5 purple hearts. ( we joked about that a lot )
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the size of coinworld and the demise of print media go hand in hand
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember how huge the computer shopper magazine was in the 1990's? It may not even exist anymore but we have more computers now.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the size of coinworld and the demise of print media go hand in hand >>

I believe this is the case. Not the state of the coin market.

I wouldn't be surprised if their subscription rates have tumbled since even major newspapers are suffering from this.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    I don't see many computer shows in the Pittsburgh area any more.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the size of coinworld and the demise of print media go hand in hand >>

I believe this is the case. Not the state of the coin market.

I wouldn't be surprised if their subscription rates have tumbled since even major newspapers are suffering from this. >>

+1. This, for sure.

Look how many of us are still avidly reading about coins. But then look where we're having this discussion.

Chalk it up to the Internet Age. While in some ways declines like this can be lamented, one can look also consider the bigger picture and instead think of it as a kind of evolution.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must be printing the words smaller as well as they are getting harder and harder to see... image

ABimage
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    not at all my view.

Numismatic news and coin world have caused there own extinction. They refused to fully embrace the digital age until forced to do so and it may be too late.
    Many newspapers have found they must reinvent and adapt or become a thing of the past. Some are gone some are still here and will remain but not in a traditional print format.

The lack of respect for the actual subscribers as well has killed these publications. The advertisers are not vetted and many in the past have been among
    the worse in the hobby they keep going week after week even with issues like customers at times have to settle an issue with one of there main advertisers in court. The content was far less about coins and more and more about advertisements. I stopped my NN subscription years ago and dont find the paper worthy of viewing online very often.

The market is in a state of change as is the hobby. Both publications have failed to stay relevant and have sealed there own fate based on there own actions.

The new generation will offer alternatives as the hobby becomes more inclusive and some of the current generation ages a little.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see many computer shows in the Pittsburgh area any more. >>

Amazon replaced them and TV shops.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I worked there in the mid-70's we were a tabloid-sized newsprint paper that ran up to 96 pages. For the ANA edition we did two sections, probably 72 pages each.

And back then the Mint used to sell Proof sets by mailing out order forms that you sent back with a check.

Times have changed.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember how huge the computer shopper magazine was in the 1990's? It may not even exist anymore but we have more computers now. >>

This is the example I always think of (it exists but is pretty small now). The internet is the primary factor for this (and probably Coin World as well)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Coin World mail bid sales of the 1970's were the internet of their time. Hard to believe I bid on things from sellers I didn't know with a coin description as simple as "VF" or "XF." Surprisingly, I didn't get ripped off very often. I was subscriber for 35 years when I pulled the plug. And even back then, it wasn't all that hard to tell which advertisers to avoid.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember newspapers?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its circulation was over 160,000 back in early 1964 ... and then came the great collapse of the roll and bag market.

I seem to recall that the "Trading Post" section of COIN WORLD was at or near 8 pages alone during the height of the early 1960's coin boom.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    The circulation was still close to, or back up to, 150,000 around 1975.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>not at all my view.

Numismatic news and coin world have caused there own extinction. They refused to fully embrace the digital age until forced to do so and it may be too late.
    Many newspapers have found they must reinvent and adapt or become a thing of the past. Some are gone some are still here and will remain but not in a traditional print format.

The lack of respect for the actual subscribers as well has killed these publications. The advertisers are not vetted and many in the past have been among
    the worse in the hobby they keep going week after week even with issues like customers at times have to settle an issue with one of there main advertisers in court. The content was far less about coins and more and more about advertisements. I stopped my NN subscription years ago and dont find the paper worthy of viewing online very often.

The market is in a state of change as is the hobby. Both publications have failed to stay relevant and have sealed there own fate based on there own actions.

The new generation will offer alternatives as the hobby becomes more inclusive and some of the current generation ages a little. >>

Hit it right on the nose image

Neither one of them can give 2 cents for any of us.

I feel the same way now. I did not feel that way about numis news once upon a time.

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I remember Coin World when I was a teenager back in the 60s. I could not wait to see the various coins and the "list price" as published in Coin World. IMHO they killed themselves by selling out to the snake advertisers selling cleaned, whizzed and otherwise altered coins as Unc, BU, etc. When you don't protect your subscriber, the advertisers will have no one to sell to when they all leave. Marketing 101. The lure of the almighty advertising dollar by full page advertisers ultimately did them in. How many collectors were turned off and left the hobby because of being ripped off.

The management has never owned up to the issue and to this day I have zero respect for them. I always wanted to ask one of them how they could live with themselves.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

PT :<< remember it being the size of a large newspaper. ... Now the last issue was 50 pages.>>

Even within the last ten years, both Coin World and Numismatic News were each 11x17 or larger. I remember many issues of both publications that were more than 100 pages long. As late as 2007, the front and back pages of NN were thick, bright white stock. On the occasions that my articles appeared on the front page, I felt really proud.

Bronco: <<Remember how huge the computer shopper magazine was in the 1990's? It may not even exist anymore but we have more computers now. >>

I used to enjoy really flipping through Computer Shopper. Each monthly issue was larger some city phonebooks. Inexpensive computers, accessories and related parts were than sort of a new frontier.

JugHead: <<The size of coinworld and the demise of print media go hand in hand >>

YOS: <<I believe this is the case. Not the state of the coin market. >>

I agree. Print publications are fading.

291Fifth: <<Its circulation was over 160,000 back in early 1964>>

Capt. Henway: <<The circulation was still close to, or back up to, 150,000 around 1975.>>

Most of the readers in those eras were collecting coins 'out of change'! The number of people who are willing & able to spend more than $250 per coin is dramatically greater in the present. Indeed, the number of people who are willing to spend more than $500 per coin now is much larger than the number who were willing to spend more than fifty dollars ($50) per coin in 1975.

Key Date Coins for Less Than $2500 – Part 1: Copper

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid - mid 1960s - Coin World was a thick 2-section tabloid-size publication on newsprint. The 2nd section was packed with classifieds, an unbelievable number of them.
    Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinage has gotten very thin over time too.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too remember CW in the mid 60's. Used to stop at the LCS every Sat. for the latest copy. Can remember my dissapointment when it did not arrive on that day and had to wait until Mon. This was one thing that got me to the shop each week. Remember the bid board at the shop as well. There were many times the issue was composed of 2 sections. I did use the trading post section in the early 70's. One other thing I remember is on the front of those newspaper issues, in the index box, they always printed the total circulation # for each week. I was able to make 3 visits to CW in the early 70's when Mr.Jim Johnson,Ed Fleischmann, and Marilyn Tiernan worked at Collectors Clearinghouse. They were most helpful and I enjoyed the visits/tours of the CW plant.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>I too remember CW in the mid 60's. Used to stop at the LCS every Sat. for the latest copy. Can remember my dissapointment when it did not arrive on that day and had to wait until Mon. This was one thing that got me to the shop each week. Remember the bid board at the shop as well. There were many times the issue was composed of 2 sections. I did use the trading post section in the early 70's. One other thing I remember is on the front of those newspaper issues, in the index box, they always printed the total circulation # for each week. I was able to make 3 visits to CW in the early 70's when Mr.Jim Johnson,Ed Fleischmann, and Marilyn Tiernan worked at Collectors Clearinghouse. They were most helpful and I enjoyed the visits/tours of the CW plant. >>

I, too, used to visit them in Sidney, in that third floor office overlooking the courthouse square. That's when I decided that I was going to work there some day!
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the current subscription totals?
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    One major problem printed publications face is measuring effectiveness. How many people look at your ad?
    With online advertising I can display this information right on the ad in real time.

Another major problem they face is competing with FREE.
    There are a lot of online publications that offer their services for very low cost or no cost.
    How scared are they of FREE.... I've had news papers refuse to accept my ad because they view my business as competition. They offered to run the ad as long as there are no website address in the ad.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember sitting at a table in College in Cleveland reading a Coin World classified ad in 1972.

Craig Newmark (later of Craigs List and who also attended my College all six years I went there) walks by and glances at my newspaper.

"What paper is that."

"Oh, Craig it is Coin World"

I remember his response!!!!

"HMMMMMMM"

LOL
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There used to be pages and pages of 'buy' ads.....Now there's probably a column and a half......
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great and telling thread. Reminds you of all the various weekly and monthly periodicals.

And I can't tell if oreville is pulling my leg. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember how huge the computer shopper magazine was in the 1990's? It may not even exist anymore but we have more computers now. >>

LOL! I've not thought of that magazine in years. I remember it was the size of a typical phone book.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Before COIN WORLD or NUMISMATIC NEWS the main coin publication was NUMISMATIC SCRAPBOOK, a magazine style publication. It had started in the mid-1930's and was published monthly. I recall that the original owner, Lee Hewitt, sold the publication to the COIN WORLD parent firm in about 1970. It continued to be published until 1976 when it was suddenly discontinued.

NUMISMATIC NEWS was started by Chet Krause in 1952. Until the late 1960's it was a bi-weekly. It originally consisted almost entirely of small classified ads from collectors who used it to seek out items for their collections. It served much the same function as the internet does today.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Similar changes with MONEY and KIPLINGER magazines the past decade or less............

I remember when they used to have "squared/glued" binding on the side, much like National Geographic did, where they could fit both the magazine's name and month and even a few topics on the edge, so you could easily read/organize them in magazine holders. These days, they are about 1/2 as thick, if that, and held together by staples and a thin, folded edge............

The times, they are a-changin' !image
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    IT'S TIME NOT TO RENEW.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The times, they are a-changin' !image >>

What is this, the grumpy old man thread image

It's called capitalism. It's why Heritage is bigger than S/B. Everything constantly changes. Whoever figures it out and executes gets ahead of everyone else. Look at the Coin Week guys - maybe it will succeed, maybe not, but there is any example of someone trying to embrace this new world and make it work.
  • Options

291fifth: <<Before COIN WORLD or NUMISMATIC NEWS the main coin publication was NUMISMATIC SCRAPBOOK, a magazine style publication. It had started in the mid-1930's and was published monthly. I recall that the original owner, Lee Hewitt, sold the publication to the COIN WORLD parent firm in about 1970. It continued to be published until 1976 when it was suddenly discontinued.>>

Recently, David Alexander wrote an article about the history of the Numismatic Scrapbook magazine, including the sale to CoinWorld/Amos. Some of the readers of this thread might enjoy David's article.

Alexander: Numismatic Scrapbook

291fifth:<<NUMISMATIC NEWS was started by Chet Krause in 1952. Until the late 1960's it was a bi-weekly. It originally consisted almost entirely of small classified ads from collectors who used it to seek out items for their collections. ... >>

I contributed to Numismatic News during the 1990s and 2000s, mostly during the mid 2000s. I then thought Numismatic News offered much that Coin World did not offer. R. W. Julian did and still does contribute articles relating to the history of the U.S. Mint and monetary history. M. Fazzari did and may still contribute incisive articles about forgeries and counterfeits. David Ganz's articles about legal topics are legendary. Among the few people who write auction reviews, I am the only one who examines many of the coins offered and knows how to grade them. I also consult several of the nation's leading graders.

Although 291 Fifth might not be drawing any conclusions about the whole history of Numismatic News, I am offended when some people imply that Numismatic News has always been in the shadow of Coin World since Coin World was founded in 1960.

291Fifth is referring to the Numismatic News of the 1950s and 1960s, not the Numismatic News in the 1990s and 2000s. I hope that he then read my articles in Numismatic News.

A 2009 Article in Numismatic News

Maybe my last article for Numismatic News in 2010?

CoinOsaurus: << Look at the Coin Week guys - maybe it will succeed, maybe not, but there is any example of someone trying to embrace this new world and make it work. >>

It has already succeeded. Where has CoinOsaurus been hiding? CoinLink was founded in 1995 and CoinWeek was founded in 2011. I have been writing for online coin publications since 2007.

Key Date Coins for Less Than $2500 – Part 1: Copper
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember Numismatic News from when I was a kid, had a subscription for a while, I recall a lot of Coca Cola collectibles advertised alongside Confederate currency and a lot of the usual common coins, also some articles. I also remember CoinAge magazine, that's the first one I ever got, at the local news stand, starting with the bicentennial coins in 1975-6.
    Coin World used to be tabloid newspaper sized, with staples, before going to magazine format. Had a subscription briefly about 10 years ago, before starting to get my coin news right here on this forum. Here's my favorite issue of CW

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I first encountered a copy of COIN WORLD in early 1962 when my Boy Scout merit badge counselor gave me a copy of an April edition. At that point I had been actively collecting coins for about five months. Oddly, I never saw a copy of NUMISMATIC NEWS until about 1966. In the Chicago south suburbs where I lived COIN WORLD was about all any of the coin shops carried. I started buying NUMISMATIC NEWS when I was in college as a coin shop there carried it. By that time NUMISMATIC NEWS was a true coin newspaper and the days of it being primarily a classified vehicle were long past.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember in the mid-1960's when Coin World had 150 or so pages. The latest issue had 44 pages. I have been a subscriber since the Spring of 1965. I thought about not renewing in January , but went ahead. Next January I will think a lot harder.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two dads and 4 sons just walked out of the shop this weekend. I had each one take a copy of these OLD rags. The guys were in town to go to the zoo but were rained out and were going to wait until today to visit. We laughed about that gorilla which made the news smashing a window. Great timing for a tale.
    They were from K.C. Mo. And I told them I was jealous we didn't have a "pro team", but we do host the college world series and I'm at the HALFWAY point from the zoo and the stadium.
    Logan ( youngest son) did some research on a coin he picked out of one of the "foreign" boxes. I let him "have it" after he actually took his time researching the KM manual for a minute or two. Asked his dad if he wanted to leave him at the shop and we all laughed.

Anyway, I said, "Boys, these are perfect for the bathroom of your home, for something to read in the mornings… and if you need to clean glass, the newspaper and some vinegar/water works wonders"
    I hope just one of them picks up a new hobby.

Of course I remember them. image I still have a stack of them.

• Options

In the image that 2sides posted above, the format of the cover of NN, to which I referred in an earlier post to this thread, is partly visible. The fabric and design of that 11x17 cover of Numismatic News on thick, bright white stock was really cool and impressive. Certainly, as of 2007, this format was still being employed. I really enjoyed seeing my name on the front page, when it so appeared. On the later, smaller format, the front page has the 'look and feel' of newsprint and does not have as positive of an emotional impact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file