Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBayer took 12 days to pay me for an auction.

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
Won an auction on Sunday 4/12. Didn't pay me until just now since I was too busy with other things to open a case against him until a few days ago. Lesson learned. Any way I can get out of sending him the coin without taking a feedback hit? I don't want to reward his crappy behavior of bidding on things he doesn't have the money to pay for.

Comments

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>Won an auction on Sunday 4/12. Didn't pay me until just now since I was too busy with other things to open a case against him until a few days ago. Lesson learned. Any way I can get out of sending him the coin without taking a feedback hit? I don't want to reward his crappy behavior of bidding on things he doesn't have the money to pay for. >>

Do you have in your description how long they have to pay for items won? If so and the buyer exceeded the time frame, I would imagine you could cancel the sale. Give eBay a call and explain the situation and tell them you do not want to go through with the transaction as the buyer clearly didn't meet the outlined terms of the sale. If you didn't list a time frame they have for payment, your better off just sending the item.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Won an auction on Sunday 4/12. Didn't pay me until just now since I was too busy with other things to open a case against him until a few days ago. Lesson learned. Any way I can get out of sending him the coin without taking a feedback hit? I don't want to reward his crappy behavior of bidding on things he doesn't have the money to pay for. >>

Is this a case of you not getting your price and you now have seller's remorse?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    12 days? That's nothing. I only start to get irritated at the 20-day mark.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    I would honestly just let it go and ship the coin. There's something to be said about picking your battles.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    If you cared you would have opened a case.

You can cancel the order and not ship the coin he won, but you'll get a defect on your account and possibly negative feedback.

Will that teach him a lesson?
  • Options

<< <i>Won an auction on Sunday 4/12. Didn't pay me until just now since I was too busy with other things to open a case against him until a few days ago. >>

I would suggest at the very least activating the Unpaid Item Assistant in your seller account preferences.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>12 days? That's nothing. I only start to get irritated at the 20-day mark. >>

I get concerned at about the 14-day mark. Twelve days is a long time but not worth a federal case (or, in this case, an eBay NPB case, which you didn't file.)

You were too busy to file a case. Maybe he was too busy or distracted and forgot to pay you? Not that I'm excusing or condoning his behavior, but people do make mistakes and overlook stuff periodically. I've done it. (Never for 12 days, as I can recall, but...)

<< <i>I would honestly just let it go and ship the coin. There's something to be said about picking your battles. >>

This. image

If this is the worst of your eBay hassles, you've gotten off lightly indeed. Ship the coin and fuhgeddaboutit. It's not worth any more irritation for you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would suggest at the very least activating the Unpaid Item Assistant in your seller account preferences. >>

I don't like eBay's automated UPI.
    For me about 98% of people pay within 3 days. If not, I send an invoice as a reminder. If I still don't hear from them then I open a UPI case on day 4. Then they have 4 days to pay. 8 days is plenty of time to pay for an eBay auction.

I believe under eBay's rule, the buyers have 36 days to pay regardless of what a listing says.
    The deadline is really 4 days after the seller opens a UPI and sellers have 32 days to open a case.
    So it's really under the sellers control.

I got a neutral feedback for opening a case saying "out of town 4 days came back to unpaid item case, pay end of trip not enouf"

That's not my problem so I called eBay and they removed it.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Twelve days is nothing to get excited about.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The horror

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Twelve days is nothing to get excited about. >>

When I buy on ebay, I pay the same day or the next day at the latest. Waiting 12 days to pay someone is totally unreasonable and quite rude.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    12 days in not a felony. ship the coin. be happy there are buyers of coins in this price range. After all you dont fully know the circumstances as to why it took that long do you?
    BT&C
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Good grief. Talk about a society consumed with instant gratification. How the heck would any of the people saying this is a problem have dealt with ecommerce before PayPal? I did a lot of selling online before there were electronic payments, check or money order only, before there was an Interwebz, on Usenet in the late '80s and early '90s. 12 days is NOTHING.

eBay does enough autonagging of buyers if they don't make payments within 5 minutes (j/k) that I don't feel the need to ride herd. If we hit the 3 week mark, I'll politely inquire. For all I know, the buyer may be wanting to combine with another item that they don't have the funds for just this second, e.g., waiting for next paycheck.

Projecting YOUR fiscal values and priorities onto others and punishing them for not behaving the way you do is just plain wrong.

Getting your panties in a bunch when payment hasn't been received in N days means you're in the wrong line of business. Wanting to not send someone the merchandise for same is douchebaggery to the Nth degree, and raises red flags for seller's remorse wanting to get a better price. There is no upside to NOT sending the merchandise now that payment has been made other than to punish the buyer, as relisting means a minimum of ANOTHER 7 days before payment. Why would you do it other than looking for any excuse to back out of the transaction?

IMO, this thread says far worse about the seller in question than the buyer...
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know... I'd be annoyed too but probably send the coin in a few days & block the bidder.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>[

When I buy on ebay, I pay the same day or the next day at the latest. >>

Slacker , I always pay the day before I buyimage
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Annoying, but best to smile, ship the coin, and move on.

I find that coin buyers tend to be quick payers. When I have sold
    other items the buyers are slower to pay.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 days is ridiculous, seeing that we have the ability to pay instantly with a few mouse clicks, on the bright side, at least you were paid.
    Hopefully the remainder of the transaction goes smooth. I pay right after the purchase, why leave it hanging, JMO.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's tempting to suggest you make the punishment fit the crime and wait 12 days before you ship the coin. image

But of course then the buyer can neg you or otherwise make a stink and eBay will take his side. And there's that old "two wrongs don't make a right" saying, so ixnay on atthay.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    If you were too busy to notice, the buyer may have been too. Does your listing specify a payment time frame? Late payers are just part of the game. As a landlord with close to 200 tenants, I always have about 10% who can never pay on time. I start to call after 10 days, month in and month out, for almost 30 years now. Anyone in business knows there are always late A/R accounts. Do I evict my late payers? Only the ones I know will never pay, the signs are usually obvious. Some of my most consistent late payers have been with me for 5-10-15 years-LOL! Chalk it up to doing business, the 1% just met the 10%
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would honestly just let it go and ship the coin. There's something to be said about picking your battles. >>

Agreed. Did you send him an invoice or a reminder at some point? Unless he willfully ignored you,
    I think you're making too much of this. He might have had an emergency situation or simply
    forgot. The ball was in your court to force the issue at some point and you didn't. Just ship the
    coin, I say.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Projecting YOUR fiscal values and priorities onto others and punishing them for not behaving the way you do is just plain wrong. >>

While I agreed with much of your post, I take exception to this. The seller is well within their rights
    to specify their terms of payment in an eBay listing. A buyer who can't or won't comply has no
    business bidding without at least contacting the seller in advance to seek an exception.
  • Options
    I just waited 12 weeks before I was paid on an ebay deal, buddy. Feel lucky you got paid at all. Ding him if you can. Don't do business with him again. Simple as that.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cable company sends me a bill about twenty-five days before I pay them. I paid day before yesterday and I'll be on here talking coins for about the next month on that payment.
    He paid, you send, game over. Because you can't give anything but positive. But you can still get a negative if you don't send.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Projecting YOUR fiscal values and priorities onto others and punishing them for not behaving the way you do is just plain wrong. >>

While I agreed with much of your post, I take exception to this. The seller is well within their rights
    to specify their terms of payment in an eBay listing. A buyer who can't or won't comply has no
    business bidding without at least contacting the seller in advance to seek an exception. >>

1. We still don't know whether the OP had SPECIFIC payment requirements in his listing text. If not, he cannot complain. Even if he did have text saying when payment was due, I don't know that said text nullifies eBay's rules as to how long a buyer has to make payment (e.g., you can say in your listing "NO RETURNS FOR ANY REASON", but that is meaningless as eBay's rules trump any listing text). After all, what's to prevent a seller from stating "PAYMENT REQUIRED WITHIN 1 HOUR OF PURCHASE"? I doubt that eBay would consider that binding.

2. OP specifically said "I don't want to reward his crappy behavior of bidding on things he doesn't have the money to pay for."

#1 is potentially noncompliance with published terms of the transaction. #2 is projecting your values/priorities/situation onto someone else.

Big difference, IMO.

P.S. OP is making a huge assumption as to the reason for the payment delay. There could be any number of causes.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Let it go man! Ship the coin. There are more important things in life than worrying about someone taking a few extra days to pay for an $80 coin....

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good grief. Talk about a society consumed with instant gratification. How the heck would any of the people saying this is a problem have dealt with ecommerce before PayPal? I did a lot of selling online before there were electronic payments, check or money order only, before there was an Interwebz, on Usenet in the late '80s and early '90s. 12 days is NOTHING.

eBay does enough autonagging of buyers if they don't make payments within 5 minutes (j/k) that I don't feel the need to ride herd. If we hit the 3 week mark, I'll politely inquire. For all I know, the buyer may be wanting to combine with another item that they don't have the funds for just this second, e.g., waiting for next paycheck.

Projecting YOUR fiscal values and priorities onto others and punishing them for not behaving the way you do is just plain wrong.

Getting your panties in a bunch when payment hasn't been received in N days means you're in the wrong line of business. Wanting to not send someone the merchandise for same is douchebaggery to the Nth degree, and raises red flags for seller's remorse wanting to get a better price. There is no upside to NOT sending the merchandise now that payment has been made other than to punish the buyer, as relisting means a minimum of ANOTHER 7 days before payment. Why would you do it other than looking for any excuse to back out of the transaction?

IMO, this thread says far worse about the seller in question than the buyer... >>

I would agree and even wonder why it needs to pollute the forum.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Oh, you may have to leave "positive" feedback to a buyer, you don't have to be so positive in the words you get to write to them in the feedback. That's how I have handled it.

Don't waste a second calling ebay for help. Ebay has decommissioned its customer service department. Just grit your teeth when taking it from ebay. That'll get you through it.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I've just read this entire thread, including all of the responses, and I would tend to agree that twelve days to pay for an eBay item might seem too long. But unless I missed something, I don't see any mention of communications between the seller and buyer, to determine the cause of the delay. Life is complicated, and sometimes things happen to individuals, preventing them from making timely payments. Accidents, illnesses, family crises, and a multitude of other incidents can interfere with our lives. I am reminded of my own hospitalization ten years ago, when I was very suddenly stricken with heart problems, and disappeared (in the hospital) for six weeks. Fortunately I was not in the middle of any eBay transactions when I was stricken, but I am certainly not the only one who had his life interfered with. Remember, life is what happens while we are busy making other plans. Don't just assume that the buyer is a deadbeat before checking for the reason.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What really gets me torqued is when someone places a last minute/second bid and then takes days to pay.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Twelve days is nothing to get excited about. >>

When I buy on ebay, I pay the same day or the next day at the latest. Waiting 12 days to pay someone is totally unreasonable and quite rude. >>

Back when I sold on eBay I had people tell me after the auction closed that they had to wait for their social security cheque. IMHO you shouldn't be bidding without money to pay immediately for it. Do that BS with one of the major auction houses and they start tacking on late fees. Do it enough and they NARU you.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I simply do it on the side when I could use the cash, or when I want to thin out my collection a bit. >>

In that case, if it is the former, can you not still set the auction to require immediate payment? I know some BINs have been that way (I haven't used ebay for anything other than some needed extras for the house lately, so not sure...as I do always pay immediately (if at my computer) and within 1-2 days otherwise (if I am out and about, etc.....I'm not a slave to my smartphone and I won't go out of the way to use it in ways I don't want to).

12 days really isn't that long. It's an inconvenience, yes. Just isn't that long in the scheme of things. I don't like waiting either, but I do try to put things in perspective.
    Also, if the worst thing was this guy waiting for his paycheck, then life isn't over. To me, I would hate someone paying right away and trying to jerk me around (like what happened to Utahcoin recently), or trying to scam me.

Give me an honest, even late, payer, and I would be happy. "revenge" really isn't necessary.
    I don't want to reward his crappy behavior of bidding on things he doesn't have the money to pay for.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    If the buyer had refused to pay or tried to back out of the sale, then there would be a legitimate complaint.

Complaining after getting money in hand and now wanting to cancel the sale after the fact MAKES ZERO SENSE.

I wonder how much more there is to this story that we aren't being told...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I simply do it on the side when I could use the cash, or when I want to thin out my collection a bit. >>

In that case, if it is the former, can you not still set the auction to require immediate payment? I know some BINs have been that way (I haven't used ebay for anything other than some needed extras for the house lately, so not sure...as I do always pay immediately (if at my computer) and within 1-2 days otherwise (if I am out and about, etc.....I'm not a slave to my smartphone and I won't go out of the way to use it in ways I don't want to). >>

Not with auctions. All my BIN's require instant payment though.

Called eBay and talked to them, they said I can unilaterally cancel the transaction and they will remove any negative feedback left for me. Good enough for me! >>

Really, you are going to cancel after he paid you? You got to be kidding!

Maybe something happened, he just forgot about it, or he had to wait until payday to pay you. I you had remembered to send him a reminder perhaps he would have paid sooner.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

item is paid best to complain before payment....
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Called eBay and talked to them, they said I can unilaterally cancel the transaction and they will remove any negative feedback left for me. Good enough for me! >>

You know they blatantly lie, right?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

In that case, if it is the former, can you not still set the auction to require immediate payment? I know some BINs have been that way (I haven't used ebay for anything other than some needed extras for the house lately, so not sure...as I do always pay immediately (if at my computer) and within 1-2 days otherwise (if I am out and about, etc.....I'm not a slave to my smartphone and I won't go out of the way to use it in ways I don't want to). >>

Not with auctions. All my BIN's require instant payment though.

If you got paid (and you said you did), and you cancel it after the fact because you want to be pissy about it, then, I am sorry, but I have to say, I do lose some respect for you.
    I completely understand being upset, but at the end of the day, you got your money, it was just late, and you aren't being screwed with (at this point) by the buyer. Be like "Frozen" and "Let it go, let it go" image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Even though I always pay my Ebay wins promptly, I need to come to the defense of the buyer. This seller (the OP), with a vengeance, seems to be trying to teach this buyer a lesson. It sounds like the buyer stretched his finances for the coin. He was not a deadbeat. He paid for the coin a little late. I would not want to do business with someone who gets so bent out of shape about a payment taking 12 days. Possibly the best thing that could happen (for the buyer) is to have this auction cancelled.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sale is a sale. Complete your end of the deal. Be thankful and do not let your feelings get so attached as to limit your ability to keep the bridge operational. More people burn bridges over their feelings than can ever get built with playing teacher in school. All due respect, mate. Some take a while to catch up to "mainstream". Don't lose sight of what site you're on. Deal with the customer respectfully. Sometimes there are circumstances beyond our control. The hardest thing for me to control is my own temper and tongue. But a deal is a deal.

I had a customer short me over $47K. on a deal only to get insulted and a pittance, in court, after 12 years. That's longer than the Langbord case. Count your blessings.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

Much ado about nothing, imo. Coin is paid for, just ship it. Seems petty to me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably should just complete the sale.

Cancelling the sale in the name of "justice" is both unjust to the person who albeit slowly did eventually pay you, and detrimental to you as a seller (probably will get a negative, and will also not get to sell your item).

As far as eBay problem buyers go, this one seems pretty minor.
  • Options
    I haven't sold anything on EBAY for a while, but I do remember someone taking two weeks to finally pay and not responding to my messages. When the funds were received I advised the seller that the item would be sent in two weeks. Maybe it's a generational thing, maybe it's a N Y thing, I don't know. I think it is everyone's responsibility to teach being responsible to anyone who was not taught that by their parents. Sorry.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    If a buyer taking 12 days to pay for an auction thing was the worst thing that ever happened to me on Ebay.. I'd be extremely happy with all aspects Ebay.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FadeToBlack:

Thanks for the post. You just reminded me to pay you for your auction I won a couple of weeks ago...

Mark

• Options
    Why not just sent him the coin?
    PCGS
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be glad he finally paid and ship him his coin. If he posted positive FB, I would respond in kind. If I got good retail money, I don't mind waiting 12 days for it. At least you got payment. Perhaps he was a little short of funds and payday was a ways off. You can block him for the future if you like. I would never insult a paying customer, especially a retail buyer. I am on ebay to sell coins and currency and make good retail money. Not there to teach them lessons. If this is your worst ebay experience thank you lucky stars.

I wonder how much the sale amount was and if you have when payment is expected in the listing.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really takes some work to be the innocent party of a transaction and end up being the villain. Congrats on making yourself look so bad.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It really takes some work to be the innocent party of a transaction and end up being the villain. Congrats on making yourself look so bad. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file