Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921 Peace Dollar -- Great Luster from GreatToning -- Update

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a new 1921 Peace Dollar that I recently purchased for the Strong Mint Luster, Good Strike, and Minimal Contact Marks for the grade.

1921 Peace Dollar -- Great Luster
imageimage
(Photos courtesy of Mr.D -- aka GreatToning)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Nice one; congrats!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    I came very close to placing a nuclear bid on that coin! And I think that pretty much says what I think of it. image

I'm glad to see a member got it.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin,,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!
    Congrats!!!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Pretty Peace. image

Mike
  • Whats the grade, MS65?

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice Peace Dollar...great luster.....Cheers, RickO
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking '21. Thanks for sharing.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. I would have thought it would have graded higher.

OINK
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll post a forum update after I receive this coin and have had a chance to examine it in person.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is indeed a nice one. Congrats.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool peace dollar, congrats.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice PD.... Definitely has a gorgeous look...

ABimage
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats the grade, MS65? >>

Good question. The grade must be a well known secret.
    Vplite99
    In reply to those who asked this coin is graded PCGS MS-62.

I recently purchased it for its Strong Mint Luster, Good Strike, and Minimal Contact Marks for the grade...

1921 Peace Dollar - PCGS MS-62 - Great Luster
    imageimage
    (Photos courtesy of Mr.D -- aka GreatToning)

Stuart

Duplicate Post image

Stuart

• coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    wow impressive for a 62. should upgrade.
    BT&C
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm far from expert in this series but, I'm sorry,doesn't look well struck to me.

Should be in a 58 holder.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold Sticker no matter what IMHO image
    As promised, here's the update after having received the coin and examined her in hand...

I'm very pleased with the coin, which appears in person just as it did in the original auction photos posted earlier in this thread. Contact Marks are fewer than normal for the grade, and are not distracting. The coin has very frosty and strong "deep dish" cartwheel mint luster in the concave fields of both obverse and reverse. The Rays in Miss Liberty's tiara are sharply struck and well defined including the interstitial short rays. The color is a natural cream with original skin (not dipped out blast white). Strike on Miss Liberty's Hair is about average, and strike definition on Eagle's Wing is above average.

My overall assessment grade for this is about MS-63+, with High Eye Appeal, which looks better than some MS-64's that I've seen. PCGS probably net graded this coin MS-62 because of some very minor hairline scratches that are only visible under conducive lighting conditions, which don't bother me at all. image

I wish to thank our own forum member Mr. D (aka GreatToning) for his great customer service, in working directly with the USPS on our mutual behalf to clear up a USPS shipment delay that took 10 days for the coin to arrive. After he opened the inquiry with the Post Office, the coin quickly progressed through the USPS processing & delivery system.

Stuart

• MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    Glad you liked it. It does have superior eye appeal in my estimation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file