Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 Lincoln Cent Dropped Element Or Strike Through

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some kind of heat damage. Perhaps something very hot fall across the face of the coin and melted the copper plating into the zinc core, forming an area of brass?

Just a guess.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Looks like some kind of heat damage. Perhaps something very hot fall across the face of the coin and melted the copper plating into the zinc core, forming an area of brass Its raised, and stamped into the coin, image even shows up in it, so I would think it fell on the planchet, before it got struck
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like some kind of heat damage. Perhaps something very hot fall across the face of the coin and melted the copper plating into the zinc core, forming an area of brass Its raised, and stamped into the coin, image even shows up in it, so I would think it fell on the planchet, before it got struck >>

• Options
    Its raised, and stamped into the coin, image even shows up in it, so I would think it fell on the planchet, before it got struck
  • Options
    deleted
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like some kind of heat damage. Perhaps something very hot fall across the face of the coin and melted the copper plating into the zinc core, forming an area of brass?

Just a guess. >>

Zinc melts way before copper. If both melted there would be no design left and it would be deformed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    It can't be a dropped element since there is no element of that size and shape to drop

And dropped elements are struck into not raised

Are you sure it's not a foreign substance like glue?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot contribute a definitive cause, but it has a strange allure/appeal to me.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    I would give it a bath in acetone to get the grime off, this would give a better look to the area in question. It looks like it had a band-aid on it. Anyway from the pics it is kind of hard to tell could we get a couple more and a bit larger? The coin could have a planchet flaw and could have also been AT to just mess around and so on....
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    PMD.

It was probably a temp test melting a eutectic strip.
    Ed
  • Options
    I'm going to get some acetone today, did a little olive oil bath this morning, very little too, didn't want to hurt the coin [URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/stash38/media/A012 - 20150330_071526 2_zpsh6bs0wlm.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It can't be a dropped element since there is no element of that size and shape to drop

And dropped elements are struck into not raised

Are you sure it's not a foreign substance like glue? >>

Upon seeing the new picture I think you are right. Looks like glue atop the surface.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use acetone..... if it is glue or some organic substance, it will be removed... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Use acetone..... if it is glue or some organic substance, it will be removed... Cheers, RickO >>

I will try acetone, I never used it, so the internet will be my resources, on how to use with copper cents, still has some nice color under that black stuff, which I think is dried grease, but the gold object is not going away, its some kind of metal object, maybe brass ..
  • Options
    Plating remnants?

Acetone generally won't bother the copper nor toning. I suspect those who have experienced color change with copper and acetone probably had some thin film of something on the coin beforehand.

Acetone is flammable and you just soak away from an ignition source.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file