Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is an"1837 Contemporary BOGUS Capped Bust Half Dollar REEDED EDGE rare old coin?"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
Current Bid: $40.99

eBay Link

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good honest way to describe a perfectly collectible contemporary counterfeit on eBay, without getting the auction pulled.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    I doubt those who planned to bid on the coin appreciate the extra publicity. Next time let's wait until the auction is over.

It's a period counterfeit; it was created during the time the CBH circulated. The seller uses the word "bogus" in place of the word fake, counterfeit, and other prohibited words.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>I doubt those who planned to bid on the coin appreciate the extra publicity. Next time let's wait until the auction is over.

It's a period counterfeit; it was created during the time the CBH circulated. The seller uses the word "bogus" in place of the word fake, counterfeit, and other prohibited words. >>

Please Brian, a very low end auction at best.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A coin that made the mission of stopping counterfeiting being added to the mission of the Secret Service.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a similar example of this 1837 with a "half dollar" reverse of 1838? I had one at one time and sold it to a dealer in Omaha. He told me it was a bogus one (which I did not know, I had bought it about 5 years earlier when I was very wet behind the ears.) He seemed pleased to get it, and I have always been curious since then to find out what I had.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I doubt those who planned to bid on the coin appreciate the extra publicity. Next time let's wait until the auction is over.

It's a period counterfeit; it was created during the time the CBH circulated. The seller uses the word "bogus" in place of the word fake, counterfeit, and other prohibited words. >>

Please Brian, a very low end auction at best. >>

Busties on a budget are the only kind I go for image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Busties on a budget are the only kind I go for image >>

Sorry if I insulted to you.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you win Brian ?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A legitimate auction for a legitimate contemporary counterfeit. Keith Davignon wrote the major reference work on this niche and the book is fantastic.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Busties on a budget are the only kind I go for image >>

Sorry if I insulted to you. >>

Don't sweat it, GB. It's just one of my pet peeves; nothing personal. image

<< <i>Did you win Brian ? >>

Nah, not me. But I'd have paid $40 all day if it weren't for the scratches.
  • Options
    I have one of the same variety. Its an 1837 3/C Variety attributed by Davignon
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I missed it. That was me at $40, but I forgot about the auction-LOL!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file