Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG on some fun copper(57 flyer and 1904 IHC)

Hey guys,

Grabbed this out of a local auction today curious on your thoughts......MS?......Proof.....AT?
-Interestingly on the 57 flyer, there is no crazy toning on the rim at all, and I was told whether correct or not that with AT surfaces typically the rim will be the same color as well if indeed AT

Any comments, criticisms, or questions are encouraged
Thanks

Jake

imageimage
imageimage

imageimage
imageimage
JG Numismatics
Check out:
coinsinnh.com
or just type in JGnumismatics into google
PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
CAC Authorized Dealer
ANA Member
CSNS Member
FUN Member
Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt touch either but the 1904 sure looks proof to me. The 1857 is AT in my book.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both have been cleaned and have unnatural surfaces. The 1904 is probably a Proof, and it would have been neat to have seen it before someone "improved it." The was high grade before it was also cleaned and turned pink.

Both coins are just a shame. If they had only been left alone. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both have been cleaned and have unnatural surfaces. The 1904 is probably a Proof, and it would have been neat to have seen it before someone "improved it." The was high grade before it was also cleaned and turned pink.

Both coins are just a shame. If they had only been left alone. image >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1904 pr64 or 65 Cameo

1857 Unc details
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    PR63 - Cleaned
    Damaged UNC Details
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1904 looks like a proof. It has probably been dipped at some point.

The 1857 appears to be cleaned and retoned, which is unfortunate since it is very well struck. The color just looks odd.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    General agreement here. The IHC is a proof, may or may not have problems ...

The Flyer has great detail, but the color is just wrong.
    mirabela
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    It is hard to say for sure from scans if either coin was doctored. The IHC is obviously a proof. The flying eagle is unc, but I would want to research that toning (which IMO is nice looking) to find if it is natural or artificial.

I personally stay away from artificially toned coins.
  • Options
    JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!!!

At this point,

The 1904 will be sent out for grading and the 1857 off to ebay!!

Thanks for the opinions
    JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    or just type in JGnumismatics into google
    PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member
    Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1904 IHC is Proof and was recently dipped.

The FEC is cleaned and re-toned.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>General agreement here. The IHC is a proof, may or may not have problems ...

The Flyer has great detail, but the color is just wrong. >>

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I am not so sure the 1904 is a proof. I have had several 1904's with a proof like look. I think this was polished.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1904 is definitely polished..and frankly, I would be surprised if it was a proof. JMHO.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1904 used to be a high grade PR IHC which was dipped to make a much more valuable RD. It will be graded Details, Questionable Color.

The 1857 has been enhanced in the past but does have a nice look, but maybe too nice for a 160 year old coin. Sending it to EB may have been your best move as there will be someone who will put it in their Dansco and care less about certification.

OINK
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    the F.E. is strange to me
    the eagle has a proof effect or it is one
    with the feathers coming off of a mirrored body...just remnants of feather tips
    isn't the body and wings usually covered in flow lines to feather tips...not mirror body with feather tips rising off of it

is it a proof?
    or is it even genuine mint product?

just something about it stands out

the IHC
    color is hard to read or call from this image...i have no opinion on it other then it looks to be proof

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like the typical raw coins sold by a certain ebay dealer with three words in their name and southern being one.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    The flying eagle is polished too
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FE has certainly been messed with. PCGS might call it altered surfaces, questionable color, or improper cleaning. (Because the rim is not the same color as the rest of the cent doesn't mean it's not AT.)

The IHC is also damaged. It looks cleaned/polished in the pictures. Sad.
    Lance.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would call the IHC a proof.... dipped. The FE has been dipped and is recoloring...IMO, the color has been 'assisted'... I have done that in one of my experiments (coin never left my possession)..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say they are both problem coins. The Indian looks to be polished, and that's a crime. The flyer has a beautiful strike, really hammered but I'm afraid it has been cleaned and retoned also. what a shame.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a copper or proof collector but my first reaction was that the 1904 screamed polished. I would heed the other comments on the FE as well
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys!!!

At this point,

The 1904 will be sent out for grading and the 1857 off to ebay!!

Thanks for the opinions >>

I don't think that the 1904 cent will grade. I know I won't grade it. It as a totally "wrong" look. It was dipped recently and such coins are often very unstable. If the dipping solution has not been properly removed, the coin could literally turn to dust.

Many years ago I saw two Proof Indian cents that a major retail coin company had in a PCGS PR-65 Red slabs. Both coins had been completely eaten up by the stuff someone had used to make them red again. The coins were unrecognizable and were a total loss.

Even if the dipping is done correctly, the coins are very vulnerable to spotting and re-toning. The "virgin metal" under the toning which is now exposed is very prone to those problems.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file