Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Indian Head Cent Collection woodgrain

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all,
Been away for quite some time and, unfortunately had to sell my IHC collection(along with my others). It was my favorite and was AU and higher except for the 77 and 09s. I'm trying to start a new collection and as I cannot afford the coins in the previous condition I am attempting to collect a set of woodgrain Indians in vf+ to low au condition. I have 27 or so but obviously need quite a few more. Should any of you have any that you would care to part with I would appreciate a post with photos and price. I am working on a virtual album for them and will post it on photobucket upon completion.
Thank you for your interest.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Jim... and good luck with your quest....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Would love to see them.
  • Options
    IMO, reading between the lines, you're saying that woodgrain blanks on IHC, and maybe other cents, are a lesser value - cheaper - than those with no grain showing. My sense is that not only do I not see any reduction in price on woodgrained cents, but that some may be more attractive, and sometimes more colorful, than what I'm calling the plain version. This may not be what you're saying, and I am aware that some collectors don't prefer the grain, but I don't see that the woodgrain finish translates to a lower selling price. I am open to hearing more about this if there is more to hear.
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Woodgrains are an interesting trait of many IHs but didn't think it was possible to find a full set.
    I remember Stewart Blay telling me this was his first Lincoln cent purchase.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have set your self a very interesting goal. I wish I could be creative like that in defining what my goals are. I only have one in my set, which is an 1870 shallow N VF 30. That is a keeper for me so I wont be able to help, but I will keep my eyes open for you. Keep us posted on the progress.
  • Options
    Not meaning a lower value of the coins at all, mcgrover. In fact, some are at a premium. Perhaps, I did not state my goal sufficiently. I found that many more coins are available in this condition of a woodgrain or small spotty pattern, that I originally considered and thought that it would be fun just to see how many I could find. The value is lower only because my previous standards have been lowered to vf and up rather thank au and up. I can afford far more of these lower value coins just due to grade differential. Sorry if I confused anyone. I personally think that some of them should carry a premium, but shhh! lets don't tell anyone.
    Thanks to all for your comments.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice idea for a collection of Indians. Hope you share some pics along your way.

OINK
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. Here is a 1908 S I just picked up. Shame about the ding, but the color is
    gorgeous. I'll add them as I can. Again, Thanks.
    Jim

image[/URL][/IMG]

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat idea for a collection.
    I've always enjoyed this look on coppers......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a neat idea for a collection.
    I've always enjoyed this look on coppers...... >>

agreed, they are neat.
  • Options
    Here is another, that I definitely should not have purchased, but loved its look. Coin damaged but I still love
    it. Let me know what you think(disregarding the damage).lol

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Back and Good luck in your new endeavor!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't have the pleasure of selling my complete set of FE & IHC collection ( the 1877 was AU and every other coin was MS and I didn't have the 1856), my ex stole them during our divorce.
    I started the set in 1973 and finished in 1985, every coin was raw and every coin was purchased from shows, the way it should be.
    Your post is bringing up old memories, good luck with your quest.
  • Options
    A 1909 Indian Head Cent. Hope this is not boring anyone.
    Thanks for your views.
    Jim

[URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/user/jesbroken/media/Coins/Woodgrain IHC/1909 IHC...ebay..08202014..inh.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your collection is progressing nicely... I enjoy seeing the pictures...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those don't look woodgrain to me......just old and crusty. But nice. image
  • Options
    Another IHC I picked up this weekend. Thanks for looking.
    Jim

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for everyone's input. Here is a 1908 S I just picked up. Shame about the ding, but the color is
    gorgeous. I'll add them as I can. Again, Thanks.
    Jim

image[/URL][/IMG] >>

I do wonder if the rim issue is a mint made clip rather then ding.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool idea and set! Sometimes I think lower grade sets are more fun to put together because you have so many more options.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    welcome back
    ah...i miss my woody's too and need to buy a couple examples myself..."AGAIN"

sounds like a sweet lil set to work on and best of luck with it

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Hello all, I thank you for your nice replies and the many posts. Here is an 1865 and 1875 IHC to view.
    Jim

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I used to own:

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    Nice mach1ne. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1909 Indian Head Cent. Hope this is not boring anyone.
    Thanks for your views.
    Jim

[URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/user/jesbroken/media/Coins/Woodgrain IHC/1909 IHC...ebay..08202014..inh.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

Naw..... but best of luck with building a Liberty cent collection with woodgrain toning. image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    I may not complete it, but will enjoy the chase.
    Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file