Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, what would you grade this 1936 Buff???? Here's the grade if ya wanna see...

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
What grade did NGC give this one. If you know the answer please don't give it away. This should be fun.

imageimage
A couple of other shots...You can actually see the whites of the buffalo's eye.

imageimage

Would you believe they graded this Buff at......,.image

I have a hard time with this one. I could crack this Buff outta this NGC holder and I'll just bet ya it'll come maybe 2 grades higher, or 3. I can not see any reason in the world this Buff should be a 62, no freaking way. Of course it would make no sense what so ever to do this as the price only goes up maybe $5.00 a grade with this common date Buff. But, it's a GREAT conversation piece!! image
Thanks to all for playing along, Joe
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know???? It looks nice!!!! How about MS65????

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    oh boy
    gawddah love a guess the grade when it's eye candy presented image

so i see no luster break in it's skin...oooh and sweet color
    "go grab the STAR dart-board someone"

so after a lil back n forth here with those white prongs...a lil kiss on the tip of my dart and she's off....yup...my dart landed on 67

67 star it is
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Joe, you sure know how to pick them!
    I agree with the 67 that LVT gave it. image
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    lets see double checking its not a proof image

the coin has average strike for 36 but kick a** color.

ms65
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more than gem designation for this one.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    66 shot 67
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC 66
    PCGS 65+
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC 66
    PCGS 65+ >>

This.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    The 36 I bought raw with this 36-d & this 13 type 1 all from the same coin album and at the same time. At that point in time I sent them to NGC for grading.

imageimage
    imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only see a few small fleas on that dog Joe, i'll stick with my 67 guess.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smart to start at NGC.

Then do the crossover cuz the prestige will affect the choices.

• Options
    The 1913 T1 is amazing, what a beautiful buffalo.
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    That's definitely a tough one to grade from images.

I'm going to guess AU58+ *

I was going to go with 65+*, but after looking at the second image, the high points look like they may just have a tad bit of rub. It may just be the toning and image causing the look. I have a few MS coins myself that have the same look. Very pretty coin though. I really like the 13 T1.
  • Options
    hmmm
    so now we have 2 more guess the grades on....without the 1st one being disclosed
    this is probably not the best way to be in the "2 xmas cards this year " club...just sayin

and yeah this is fun
    until the rope starts to burn my neck from dangling ...TOO LONG

chop-chop here i say image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>hmmm
    so now we have 2 more guess the grades on....without the 1st one being disclosed
    this is probably not the best way to be in the "2 xmas cards this year " club...just sayin

and yeah this is fun
    until the rope starts to burn my neck from dangling ...TOO LONG

chop-chop here i say image >>

No need to guess the other ones. Just the 36 at top of this post. I added them just to shed some light on where they came from and that's all from the same coin album. An old one where they resided for decades. The other two Buffs both got the star designation for the eye appeal.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what kind of album??
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I would guess a 66 or a 67. That one has lots of eye appeal.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66+...... in hand, without magnification.....maybe 67....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    66*
  • Options

<< <i>what kind of album?? >>

An old library of coins album that was literally falling apart.
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    MS66
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a Best Buffalo coin, in my opinion. Just another average coin for your collection, Joe. Luckily, I have seen most of your
    coins, while certainly not all, and will vouch to the quality and beauty of your collection. Great coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Library of Coins Albums-

The 1936 might have some limitations- MS65 star.

It is a very attractive coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like rub on upper cheek and brow. AU 58?
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Have all the buffalo heads checked in yet on this one?? I'll post the grade at the top of the hour. It's 5:16 here on the west coast. I'll image up the slab now and upload it to the photobucket. So, last call.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's definitely a tough one to grade from images.

I was going to go with 65+*, but after looking at the second image, the high points look like they may just have a tad bit of rub. >>

I have to say I am in the 58*group as well. 36-P are not known for flat spots on the hip. Very pretty coin, color and image but I really cannot see this with an Uber MS grade. A market Grade of 64 star wouldn't surprise me either but I will stick with my guns on 58*
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Without a doubt it is somewhere between an AU-50 and a MS-70. Maybe.
    Carl
  • Options
    Grade posted . And I think it's a jokeimage
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's definitely a tough one to grade from images.

I was going to go with 65+*, but after looking at the second image, the high points look like they may just have a tad bit of rub. >>

I have to say I am in the 58*group as well. 36-P are not known for flat spots on the hip. Very pretty coin, color and image but I really cannot see this with an Uber MS grade. A market Grade of 64 star wouldn't surprise me either but I will stick with my guns on 58* >>

Looks like the went market grade and split the difference between what I said, LOL. I agree there is no way that is a 'technical' 62. Total market grade.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know Buffalo grading but I know star worthy coins. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>Grade posted . And I think it's a jokeimage >>

that is a travesty grade there
    i'm no pro on these things but do have understandings that i've come to know

the 58 to 62 grades can be a trap to weed through

but once it's established it's unc...then a different type of grading kicks in
    it's all about luster and frost...toning can introduce a wrench in grading

so once unc
    it's about grading the luster...strange darn thing to grade in a way

so yeah
    your 36' here
    it's luster looked "shiney" and unbroken...should of been at 65 or above type of luster grade

oh well
    i'm batting 0 for 2 with these darn buffalo's this week

i'm not attempting your other 2 in this thread

NOPE-NO WAY

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuning into this one a bit late but the weak strike and bumpy rims seem to be why it MS62'd.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the ms62 grade on the 1936 , it really looks au58 but they gave it a 62 for eye appeal ?
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CrazyHoundDog: Your 1936 Buffalo Nickel is the kind of apparently undergraded high eye-appealing slabbed coin that I use as a fun conversation piece to play guess the grade in person.

I cover up the grade and show it to other collectors who express their disbelief that it's graded so conservatively low. -- As you already mentioned it's not commercially viable to resubmit for grading.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    There is a very real possibility NGC thought the 36 was AU-62. It is sometimes hard to see breaks in luster in well-lit images. They didn't grade it 62 by accident. I am not advocating that they are right, just that they see the coin differently than we do.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks glossy. Great coin but may have been mishandled
  • Options
    Still beautiful at 62 and if you feel it should be better you know what you have to do, it will cost you 12.50 and shipping. Go for the gold---------
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    When grades come back, it is always good to have two conversations with yourself: Why was it graded the way it was (or what did the grader do correctly), and the more frequented one -- that oftentimes appears in this forum -- what did the grader get wrong.

When I go to resubmit coins, I never look at the grades. I grade the coins, and then look to see how PCGS came out. Most often I will agree with PCGS and a submission is limited to the coins only getting reholdered and attributed. When my grade is higher, those are the coins that get submitted for regrading.

I'm guessing there is nothing I can tell you that you haven't heard before, but that is my two cents.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, I think the MS66-67 grade "guesses" are partly your responsibility, you lulled the forum into a trance by showing so many coins graded that high. I have said for a long time that with one of these GTG's if I guess MS64 I will always be close. past that, I think lava makes a good point: I tend to let the TPG's teach me so that when I receive a grade I don't agree with I try to understand what they saw that I missed, not vice-versa.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 62? I feel your pain but it's been awhile. This story I've seen too often. But for a common date, who's counterfeiting those? I would have left raw and saved my money. I would have waited for the right collector to come along and buy it as a 66 and depending on how nice it is, maybe more.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>Joe, I think the MS66-67 grade "guesses" are partly your responsibility, you lulled the forum into a trance by showing so many coins graded that high. I have said for a long time that with one of these GTG's if I guess MS64 I will always be close. past that, I think lava makes a good point: I tend to let the TPG's teach me so that when I receive a grade I don't agree with I try to understand what they saw that I missed, not vice-versa. >>

I'm always trying to learn. Thanks to all.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, another way to look at it:

PCGS: Pop 59, 10 lower, 7 in MS61 and 3 in MS60. 4778 higher.
    NCG: Pop 117, 14 lower, 13 in MS61 and 1 in MS60. 2811 higher.

Certainly not a "fair" grade for that coin. I'd pay you MS65 money for it if that would make you feel better........

OINK
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with some others, I think it could be AU-58 and it got the 62 because the graders liked the look. I would sell it at 65 money to the buyer right now also!
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got back my monster 1937-p buffalo that is not only proof like but I thought it had a shot at a 67 grade and pcgs gave it a 64! Good grief were they ever off.

Needless to say I am not really a fan of the 11 point 60 to 70 grading scale which when you add all the plus grades, which are really different grades,
    you get about 17 different grades!! And if it is an NGC coin you have the star designation which is also really another grade.

I have seen so many coins with which I did not agree with the grades at all.

Once saw a pcgs ms65 13 type one buff that was no better than a 61 IMO.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, another way to look at it:

PCGS: Pop 59, 10 lower, 7 in MS61 and 3 in MS60. 4778 higher.
    NCG: Pop 117, 14 lower, 13 in MS61 and 1 in MS60. 2811 higher.

Certainly not a "fair" grade for that coin. I'd pay you MS65 money for it if that would make you feel better........

OINK >>

I don't feel bad at all.
    I just saw this and Nah, I don't wanna sell it. I have several from the same coin album, they're all quite nice and I like keeping them all together. I have a lot of Buffs, kinda of a large collection graded, and many ungraded in coin albums and what not. I enjoy imaging nice colorful Buffs without the plastic, kind of another hobby within a hobby. One I kept raw for a few years just so I could take it out and enjoy it the way I used to do in the old days, before all the TPG's came along. I don't know for sure how many images I took of it. It's just for my enjoyment and that's it. Sometimes I look at a graded coin and try to see what they see, or what I didn't, and for some reason or another I'm just stumped with this one. I am in no way an expert at grading coins. But, I feel comfortable grading buffalo nickel's.
    Thanks again to all, Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file