Home U.S. Coin Forum

Major Trip to Baltimore Hiccup-Conclusion and Report (Pics added)

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm on my way, but what a disaster.

My first ever national show. I bought an expensive direct flight at 5am to get there by 8am. Pre purchased the early bird ticket, just to have this happen.....

Get to airport at 430am, flight cancelled for maintenance.

Next available flight before the next day is at an airport 2.5 hours away.

This flight goes to DC instead of Baltimore.

No other options that really work besides the above option.

So I drove 2.5 hours, taking off for DC in 30 minutes. Train to Baltimore and go to the show.

6 hours late and many detours, but I will make it!

For those who are there, how is it?
Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, that is a drag.......
    I guess that's why I'm not the 'traveling guy'......
    Good luck at the show !
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's tough! I wish you much success for the amount of time lost/left and the hassle. Yikes! I applaud your determination. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Traveling sucks. Best of luck. Enjoy the show.
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baltimore was my first national show.
    I was amazed at how much fun it was!

Enjoy
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    That's some real dedication to the hobby!

From your profile image, I assume you'll be hunting down Morgan dollars at the show?

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Once you get there I am sure you will have a good time.image
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you made it before the doors closed. Let us know what you wind up with. Maybe it will out weight all the troubles.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry get here when you can. Still lots of great coins left
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update:

So I'm in the air (10 mins to DC) and the pilot announces that the weather has turned for the worse and we may be diverted to Raleigh, NC.....as if I haven't been trough enough haha. Luckily, we circled for 30 mins and were able to land.

I was somehow able to make it to the show by 445pm and go table to table asking for Proof Morgans. Answers range from 5+ to ...I wish I had some. I saw some nice coins and got some prices to mull over until the morning. I did miss a good amount of dealers because some had packed up. It'll be nice to be less rushed tomorrow.

Anyone see any nice proof Morgans they want to point me to?

I was able to preview a few stacks items and register after the show closed. That should also be a fun time.

I was very impressed by everything and everyone was pleasant. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

I'll be sure to stop and see Todd for some pics of my collection and I'll post any Newps.
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Good for you image

Wish I was there, hopefully in November.
    Glad you made it! Good luck for the rest of the show and trip.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for telling your tale.
    Keep us posted and gook luck on your hunt for proof Morgans.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Bummer. Somehow, eBay doesn't seem so bad...
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great personal interest story, my friend.

You've been the proverbial "victim of circumstance."

Take your time tomorrow and just drink it all in!!!

Be sure that Charmy takes your picture and prominently displays your plight in her "Nationally Famous Charmy's Coin Show Report."

The Penny Lady Table #845

Todd's table #1028

Look forward to hearing more about your experiences in Baltimore. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow....having traveled extensively (for business and pleasure) I can sympathize with your plight. I always hated it when issues like that came up. Nothing can be done..... just frustrating. Glad you finally made it and best of luck at the show - AND with the return flight home... Cheers, RickO
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain... Hope you have a great show...

ABimage
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i hate that as well but like it was said enjoy the show and get something good for yourselfimage
    Hi guys!

I finally made it back and came to wrap up my report.

I got bumped to First Class on the way back and all travel went extremely well.

Now for the show:

I was able to meet Tom Bush, JG Numismatics (Jake), and BluCC (Todd) from the forum. I must have met others, but didn't make the connection. It was good to put a face to the people I had been working with. Tom is a great guy to talk to and has some nice coins (check out his site), Jake was very helpful with trying to complete my "mission" of proof morgans. And Todd was great to deal with and was very patient and professional as I would sporadically drop Newps off to him. I am anxious to receive the final results of his work.

I spent a lot of hunting for proof Morgans and actually left with less of them than when I arrived. This is not always a bad thing. I got a fair price for my 1888 63 CAM and sold a couple odds and ends. All for the purpose of upgrading, of course.

I did pass on a nice 1880 PCGS PR62 that had great eye appeal, but was priced in the 63-64 CAM arena and would likely not upgrade. Although, the nicest 62 I've seen.

There were a few other nice Proof Morgans, but nothing that hit me as a must have...even in the 66-67 grades.

NEWPS: (Pics coming soon)

I picked up a beautiful 1870 PCGS PR65 CAC Seated Liberty Quarter from Pinnacle Rarities. Very nice aqua toning. Pinnacle was a great company to work with and priced fair. They do have some excellent coins.

I also picked up a very nice 1943 PCGS MS67 CAC Washington Quarter (for my 1943 registry set) from Bill Shamhart at Numismatic Americana. This coin was very PQ. Bill is a very tough/straight-forward negotiator, but a good guy overall. He does have some great coins.

I hoped to have other Newps, but whoever bids in the Stacks Auctions online definitely does not preview the coins or has a lot of money to throw away. A few coins that I was interested in went way above retail and nicer examples could be had for less $$$ at the show. I do envy those exposed to pre-internet days when you were bidding against a live person who put some time into the coin as you had. It seems online bidders buy only the plastic and the photograph.

Overall, my first Big show was a success and I can't wait for the next.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their well wishes and thanks to the members that I worked with at the show.
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Glad you had a good time after your troublesome start.

Thank you for the report image
    Congrats! Sounds like a successful finish to a show that had a bit of a rocky start. image
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad you had a good time after your troublesome start.

Thank you for the report image >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report, and your tenacity in travel.
    Post some pics of those newps!
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report and sounds like you finished up strong.... image

ABimage

Sorry for the large pics. First time posting pics on the forum. Should give you guys as close to an in hand experience that you can get, even though these are iphone photos.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow - That 1870 made it worth the trip. Very nice coin image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - That 1870 made it worth the trip. Very nice coin image >>

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it proved to be a worthwhile trip after all the trouble getting there. Beautiful quarters!
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting observations about the auction. Glad you had a worthwhile trip despite the travel snafu.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you were able to add to your collection after the bad start.

Are you going to Central States in April? And FUN in Jan.?
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was good to meet you and put a face to a name.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Central states may be a little too soon. The travel expenses tend to eat into the coin fund, unless you are selling.

FUN is on the list. Any summer shows to recommend?

On the auction, I was bidding in a large room with less than 10 people. It seemed kind of depressing. Of course, there was a lot of action online.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file