Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why oh Why are 1795 Flowing Hair halves so freak'in expensive?

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been off and on searching for one of these for a type set and I'll be danged how pricey these are!

Would another seasoned collector fill me in as to why?

peacockcoins

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of type sets and because the price of 1794s is large.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been off and on searching for one of these for a type set and I'll be danged how pricey these are!

Would another seasoned collector fill me in as to why? >>

Because that are oldimage

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's one of the rare coins for which I have a big regret not buying one a while back. Around 2005 two came up (VG10 and F12) that I liked. The VG10 had particularly great color and just looked like a perfect circulated coin. They went around $1000-1100 each. Missed opportunity, indeed. They're pretty much too rich for my blood right now.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    I have wondered the same thing as I want one to. I want a fine but they are like $2500 or more for a decent fine. I hate to go down to VG because it seems like you get a slick more or less. A fine you start to get some eye , hair and feather detail. It is also hard to find a nice one at that so if you got the money and a really nice original one comes along you better jump, at least that's my take.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date 1795 is very sexy. And the 1794's are off-the-charts.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because their the cheapest of the type.
    imageimage

Wait till you try filling that dollar hole. image

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, that's why I had to settle for a G06

imageimage
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there's demand for all this early type today.

If you wanted one cheap you missed the boat as you needed to buy 20 years ago there was limited interest.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So buy a 1794.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were reasonable up to about 10 years ago (right after I sold my last one...Arrgghhh!!!).

Like bust dollars, they were fairly cheap for 200 years and then, all of a sudden, every one at once realized how few nice ones there really are and BAM!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most all early type coins are expensive except perhaps the Draped Half Cents (1800 to 1808).

Why? There are not a lot of them compared most type coins minted after 1808, and it is tougher when you want coins that don't have problems like cleaning or damage.

At least know this. If you buy a nice piece for the grade, you will have a treasure that should hold its value. There are not a lot of them over hanging the market as it is with many modern coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two reasons:

1) Because I still need one for my type set.

2) Because of supply & demand.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DEMAND

/thread
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bit the bullet. They aren't getting any cheaper.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

I think this is an appropriate word to describe this coin: OMIGOD!!
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demand,demand,demand.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date 1795 is very sexy. And the 1794's are off-the-charts.

$183,750 BIN....AU58??

eBay Link

<< <i>$183,750 BIN....AU58?? >>

Now there's a coin that's not wearing a CAC sticker for a reason or two.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would all of you please stop wanting one of these then?!

Every time I put off buying one (price) I wait and see the same grade has gone up a healthy chunk.

Other coins, like the 3-legged Buffalo and the 55/55 haven't seen such price increased lately.
    Nor has the 1909-S VDB.

But this date?
    Yeah, keeps riding up.

(Anyone have one that is worn/holed/whatever they're willing to sell?)

peacockcoins

David Kahn listed a awesome totally original AG3 last year. Now I rarely ever look at any coin under XF45 but was in total awe over that AG3. Someone else bought it while I was glancing at it and shortly after listed it on eBay for nearly double what David was asking.
  • i have a 1982 Red Book, and it lists a VG 8 at $1100 and an F12 at $1700. VF20 at $2800.

It does not appear to me like they have appreciated that much the last 33 years (although my 1979 Redbook is WAY lower than those numbers) image

Big collection of rather nice FHHD's at Heritage in April with enough to may have a shot at a decent one at a decent price.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1959 Red Book shows the 1794 in "Fine" at $125.The 1795 is listed at $47.50.The 1795 with "Three leaves under each wing" is listed at $125 in "Good" and $285 in "Fine."

$125 for a coin (1794) with mintage 5,300.How much is a 1794 half in Extra Fine these days?I see where 2014 RB has the 1794 half priced at $38,000 in EF-40.

That's only a 304 fold increase in price in a little over 50 years.

1794 halves must be undervalued at current market levels.Should we look for the collectors of these to see if one,perhaps two, members of this advanced club might need an example for their collection or should we seek out the coins first?

I found a seller offering a 1794 PCGS VF 20 CAC for under $30K in Coin World.

$26875.i bet they would take $26 for it.26000/125=208.Way,way undervalued.The thing has got a CAC sticker on it to boot.This is just one example of great bargains in these special rare coins these days.BTW,special rare coins have the special price of about $20k each.The coins are there,available to buy.What we see here in actuality is the seller himself being among the group of very few collectors of these.

Seller on ebay has a slabbed AU 58 for $183K.There's plenty of 1794 halves for the collector to choose from.I see a 58,a 53,a 50,a 45,and 3 VF20's.1794 is like the 1909 SVDB of early Bust halves.

Live with a little wear you can go with a slabbed very good CAC for under $10K.A collector with enough money to buy one of these would be foolish to buy none other than a TPG slabbed coin preferably with CAC approval.Does CAC sticker NGC slabbed coins?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• << <i>Does CAC sticker NGC slabbed coins? >>

Of course. But probably does not do anything to lower grade coins in terms of value.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

silly software

I thought this was interesting. The most commonly seen grade of 2-leaf 50c FH coins is VG10. It would probably be inaccurate to state the the sticker doesn't affect pricing at lower grades. The vast majority of extant pieces are at lower grades.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 52,yes 52, 1795 Flowing Hair Halves in the upcoming Heritage CSNS sale in April. You probably sneak up on one in that sale.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got an ogh VG10 for $750 back around 2004 or so. At least at that time the CDN was lagging market price by quite a bit (approx $500).
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why oh Why are 1795 Flowing Hair halves so freak'in expensive? >>

Because they start with "17"

Because the flowing hair design is classic, cool and (IMO) never been equaled.

Because almost everyone would like one.

Here's a 1795 FH Dollar, first coin I ever bought from Jim McGuigan:
  • raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

image >>

This is an extremely attractive coin for the grade, and likely worth more than the PCGS price guide for a VF25.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is an extremely attractive coin for the grade, and likely worth more than the PCGS price guide for a VF25. >>

It is priced appropriatelyimage

That one caught my eye

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my modest O-113, this is the A/E in STATES variety, also with the distinctive die flaw between the 5 in the date and star 15

This came to me in a holder, but I like coins like this better when they're in a type set album or safe flip

I figure the coin survived many years in circulation and then many more in the hands of collectors, kind of a shame to lock it up and put away the key

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• My O-116

I envy the handful of collectors that have amassed 30-40 examples of these FHHD's. For those who want to dream can always browse my site...

funny how threads like this cause susceptible collectors to hit the bid now button rather uncontrollably

You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

• bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    I seen a good 4 flowing hair half at a coin show today. It was a decent original coin but weakly struck on the right obverse in a NGC holder for $900. I thought about it for a while but decided I wanted a little better one.
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

A tough two-year Type to find without problems image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A tough two-year Type to find without problems image >>

I concur
    But when you can find a nice example you should consider it. It is a real nice piece of numismatic history.
    My humble 1795/1795 3 leaf
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    This is an old favorite of mine, bought while in college back in the 70's.

Two shots of the same coin. Decided to get her in an edgeview holder while at the Vegas show.

Comments on the coin and the photos welcome!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • That is a great looking coin claychaser. It is my goal to have one like that before the year is over. They are harder to find than one would think and they don't last long if they are nice like that one.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A two year type and first half dollar design drives demand and value, along with some hoarding of 1794 and variety collectors of 1795.

Here is a rare O.128 small head, O.110a, and the 1795 three leaves reverse:
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this one about 7 years ago, it's in one of those terrible old NGC problem holders with the purple label. Had a cleaning a long time ago.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a sweet **, I guessed 20. image
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got these images yesterday....had to have it image

imageimage
  • GoldysCCGoldysCC Posts: 20 ✭✭
    --Goldy
  • GoldysCCGoldysCC Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Exactly. Winter has one in OGH right now...
    --Goldy
  • Great looking coin Jordy!
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

Curse this thread......

It got me thinking about FH halves again...... then someone went and mentioned David Kahn's website..... then I went and looked...... then he happened to have one "exactly like I'd been looking for."

Now it's on its way to me. Apparently I'm rather susceptible to the power of suggestion.
  • Great coins. Drool.....
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the number 1795 half dollars I have seen in over 40 years of going to regional and national shows, lower grade coins are not all that rare. Pieces in Good + to Fine, some with damage and almost all dipped at one point, seemed to be readily available for a price.

The coin is really hard to find really nice, and those coins are pricey and always have been. This one is "almost very nice," and it didn't come cheap. The grade is EF-45.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm lucky enough to have a couple although only one small head variety.

This coin must have been a chore for the mint employees.

It first appears that the planchet flaw made it underweight
    They then plugged it but then was overweight and needed to be filed to adjust the weight.
    No wonder they gave up plugging underweight planchets

[URL=http://s306.photobucket.com/user/bigal2749/media/0-126 plug half mine ob_zps90n2uam7.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s306.photobucket.com/user/bigal2749/media/2126226520full_zpsp1wm7uzh.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file