Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eleanor Roosevelt 2014 First spouse Uncirculated Gold Sold out in 6 months. final sales # 1886, New

Eleanor Roosevelt 2014 First spouse MS Gold Sold out. mintage 1886 New key!!!!!!!!!!!

MS 70 coins hard to find on bay.
Proof mintage =2377 New Key!!!

Most popular FS and lowest mintage, incredible!!
To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I know for certain they will sell out before I buy one.
  • How many modern gold coins with mintage <1950 over the past 150 years?
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or another question could be: Regardless of the low mintage of the series, who is seriously interested in them enough to chase a descending (in many respects) coin?
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find 2,000 Wheat Collectors, but they are out there.

These are actual mint sales, so they are out there.

The Girl Scouts sold more than this. I think the problem is the continued monetary outlay.

Collecting this is similar to about 41 years worth of P-mint $10 gold (in troy oz!) or about 20 years of $20 gold. It's a huge outlay in just melt value.

I would say the series in half ounce gold was not thought out with respect to costs vs. continued collector base. The series seems to be finding it's core numbers and time will tell how numis-history views these. But, without a doubt, they are making modern gold rarities. How many can participate?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Or another question could be: Regardless of the low mintage of the series, who is seriously interested in them enough to chase a descending (in many respects) coin? >>

Not I, Miles.

Would love to hear from a First Spouse Collector/Marketer.
  • 97 left
    Will be gone over this weekend.
    It's like the old stock market joke...

A broker calls his client and tells him stock XYZ is going up and the client says buy 10,000 shares.
    Next week the broker tells him the demand is up and the stock is up 10%. The client says buy 50,000 shares.
    Then the broker tells him the demand has drive the stock up another 50%. The client says buy 100,000 shares.
    The stock doubles in price.

The client calls his broker and tells him to sell all his shares. The brokers asks "To who?"

• CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a suspicion that all of the 2014 First Spouse coins were struck in approximately equal amounts - around 1900 to 2000 uncirculated, and 2300 to 2400 proof. The Eleanor Roosevelt coin is slightly more popular than the other 2014s and so is selling out more quickly. The Florence Harding proof appears to be tracking the Eleanor Roosevelt proof, judging by the number left for sale.

We should get an idea of how many of the remaining 2014 coins were struck as each of them approaches a sellout.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• As I predicted last night, Sold out in less than 15 hours after my first post (98 coins sold today). A new series key (one of the most popular FS). MS 70 almost nowhere to find now. Yes, there is no interest in these moderns.....
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be stuck on 3 left.

You want one get it now.
    2 left

Hurry ! Or be shut out .
    Well they're all gone nown

Did anyone get any?

I got a couple. With luck they might turn out to be the series low point. In more ways than one.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭✭
    Pass. High priced bullion. Even if mintage is 1500, there are not 1500 people who collect this series. Not a hater here, just a real life perspective on the series. I love the Liberty subset by the way.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent three UNC's back four days ago. Figures.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big issue with this series. The other day, proofs of this particular coin were a big deal. Now, they are a non event two weeks later. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Says out of stock, not sold out.
    I dont think they will post a sold out until all returns are back and then resold over and over
    until there are no more returns.

This could take a while.

<< <i>I dont think they will post a sold out until all returns are back and then resold over and over
    until there are no more returns.

This could take a while. >>

Indeed. Further, even if sold out they could easily b unseated. Chasing the low mintage spouse is an expensive endeavor.

<< <i>Pass. High priced bullion. Even if mintage is 1500, there are not 1500 people who collect this series. Not a hater here, just a real life perspective on the series. I love the Liberty subset by the way. >>

Then who is buying 1,500 half ounces of gold priced well over melt?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I think that it would b very cool to complete this series in proof and UNC. A fun way to accumulate gold. Just too expensive for me to buy them all.

<< <i>Well they're all gone nown

Did anyone get any?

I got a couple. With luck they might turn out to be the series low point. In more ways than one. >>

Did u get UNC's or proofs?
  • 3Legs3Legs Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Extremely low mintage. Can't wait to see what their value will be about 10 years from now.

<< <i>

<< <i>Pass. High priced bullion. Even if mintage is 1500, there are not 1500 people who collect this series. Not a hater here, just a real life perspective on the series. I love the Liberty subset by the way. >>

Then who is buying 1,500 half ounces of gold priced well over melt? >>

Speculators, Gamblers or someone falling for the hype!

<< <i>

<< <i>

Speculators, Gamblers or someone falling for the hype! >>

HEY !

Beats the heck out of Bowling.

.... unless you really like bowling. .

<< <i>

Did anyone get any?

I got a couple. With luck they might turn out to be the series low point. In more ways than one. >>

Did u get UNC's or proofs? >>

I got a bunch of the BU's this time around.

Last time, I got just 1 proof. I generally don't like Proofs - too shiney for me.

I loaded up on the BU's - I like the satin appearance much better.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are still 71 Florence Harding proofs left for sale, and it looks like the final number will come in at a few dozen less than the Eleanor proof.

I think the unc. and proof Eleanors will be sharing their key status with the other three 2014 issues.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>

<< <i>

Did anyone get any?

Did u get UNC's or proofs? >>

I got a bunch of the BU's this time around.

Last time, I got just 1 proof. I generally don't like Proofs - too shiney for me.

I loaded up on the BU's - I like the satin appearance much better. >>

Well done.

It will be very interesting to see where the other 2014 issues come in. Eleanor seems like she will have a lot of competition amongst the 2014 issues for low mintage key status..
    I wonder how much longer the Hayes and Garfield UNCs, esp. the 70s, will bring in the big bucks. They will both likely fall big time to the '14s.

<< <i>

<< <i>

What hype?

Who's hyping them.

There are a few gamblers, but most are collectors left.

This whole thing reminds me of the negativity with the Kennedy Gold. 50,000 flippers? Hardly. It's sold over 70,000 coins and I'll bet everything that 50,000 are collecvtors because there is no way 20,000 have fallen into the hands of "accidental collectors." Where are the 20,000 attempted sales much less 50,000 ?

Hot on ebay? No. Collected? Yes.

First Spice are the same.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What hype?

Who's hyping them.

Very good observation. While FS coins are not hot on bay, Eleanor Roosevelt is apparently an exception. Proof 70 sells around 1600. MS 70 around 1500 and will jump a few hundreds more after today's sudden soldout. I do know several serious collectors who bought ER, but not any other FS coins.

This whole thing reminds me of the negativity with the Kennedy Gold. 50,000 flippers? Hardly. It's sold over 70,000 coins and I'll bet everything that 50,000 are collecvtors because there is no way 20,000 have fallen into the hands of "accidental collectors." Where are the 20,000 attempted sales much less 50,000 ?

First Spice are the same. >>

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Extremely low mintage. Can't wait to see what their value will be about 10 years from now. >>

My guess is spot plus 10%. But hey, if we could predict the future we would all be very rich.
  • OLCOLC Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it will be a photo finish to see which one of the uncirculated will end up with the lowest mintage. Then the wait for the audited numbers. Maybe a 2013 could win the race. The mint may finally start pulling the 2013 when the Truman comes out a month from now.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the 2006 W MS platinums which are going nowhere too. I missed the sold out post, but probably would have bought one.

I speculated on the Harrison gold and ms last year. Going nowhere too. Eleanor may be more popular which may help a little.
    Are the current collectors not aware that these coins are produced and sold by the US Mint and just choose to buy them in the secondary market?

Or will the demand come from future collectors that are not aware of the series yet or cannot currently afford them at the Mint issue price?

Actually, I placed an order just a few moments ago and it went through for a MS Eleanor. No longer out of stock. Better get them while you can. It was out of stock just 20 minutes ago.
    I think that it would b very cool to complete this series in proof and UNC. A fun way to accumulate gold. Just too expensive for me to buy them all.

I remember when they were just $400 to buy them. I also remember the subscriptions of them were all sold out in 07 and the mint cancelled the subscriptions because it limited access to them.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What hype?

Who's hyping them.

Dude, Relax!! I'm not the enemy....or 7over8 image
    How do you know how many are left? I noticed a countdown of the mintage left. Where do you see quantity left on the mint web site?
    Window has closed. Out of stock again. That was quick.

<< <i>Actually, I placed an order just a few moments ago and it went through for a MS Eleanor. No longer out of stock. Better get them while you can. It was out of stock just 20 minutes ago. >>

May well have been one of the three that I sent back which they received back on Friday. Looks like the ones that they had went very fast. How many did you pick up?

<< <i>Are the current collectors not aware that these coins are produced and sold by the US Mint and just choose to buy them in the secondary market?

Or will the demand come from future collectors that are not aware of the series yet or cannot currently afford them at the Mint issue price?

image >>

this is a mixed post, current sales and future collectors.

<< <i>Reminds me of the 2006 W MS platinums which are going nowhere too. >>

There are always a few on ebay who do not know where to get them cheaper.

but that says nothing about the demand for the series.

where will future demand come from?

good question. This is one that everyone can comment but no one can know.

There are a lot of factors. They could go similar to the platinum Ws, but gold is more collected than platinum, right? On the other hand these are a specialty series apart from the usual gold over the past - they are not AGE and they are not a re-hash of the classic Buffs. The full run is certainly a large undertaking for anyone. On the other hand, the future collecting of them will be made easier by the fact they can be collected at one's own pace instead of 4 release dates per year. Of course in the near term, collecting them will be made harder by the fact there are so few secondary market retailers with inventory of them.... all.

It's tough to call, but just because they are not "ebay hot" doesn't mean they are not collected and the series stinks. Flippability and collectibility are two different things. It's time to stop painting both with the flippable brush.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What hype?

Who's hyping them.

Dude, Relax!! I'm not the enemy....or 7over8 image >>

I'm not upset. but I feel like there are some skewed views.

<< <i>How do you know how many are left? I noticed a countdown of the mintage left. Where do you see quantity left on the mint web site? >>

try ordering 99 and you'll see.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was the worst idea for a series in mint history

I barely care about the dead presidents ...

It doesnt help that these coins are UGLY. Worst designs ever

Add to the fact that it's minted in gold which makes the outlay skyhigh and you have a series that is destined for obscurity.

What's next? first cousin series?

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for the attempts at resurrecting this long ago dead series, there would be no Modern threads on the front page.

That, at least, I am thankful for as it brings out the Modern stars of the past years.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    It would have been much cheaper as a bullion only issue with little cardboard boxes lined with the fake velvet.

Or in silver on ASE planchets

<< <i>This was the worst idea for a series in mint history

I barely care about the dead presidents ...

It doesnt help that these coins are UGLY. Worst designs ever

Add to the fact that it's minted in gold which makes the outlay skyhigh and you have a series that is destined for obscurity.

What's next? first cousin series? >>

Not my favorite series to be sure, although I like the Liberty sub set.

Of course, there are many examples in numismatics where the item was disliked, unappreciated or even despised in its day only to become valuable and much sought after years later - sometimes many years. Examples include the Saint matte proofs, the Educational series notes, the Jackie UNC, etc.

It may be a great many years before another Mint issue hits the lows which will be seen with the lowest mintage spouses - whichever they turn out to be. This could create some very valuable pieces in later years. Only time will tell.

May well have been one of the three that I sent back which they received back on Friday. Looks like the ones that they had went very fast. How many did you pick up?

I only bought one this morning. If I didn't try the third time in ordering this morning, the order would not have gone through.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Dead series, period.
    No real demand--save for about two thousand collectors who keep thier
    sets complete.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file