Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vehicle Burglary After Portland ANA of SHORT SNORTER EXHIBIT items!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
For those of you who read my recent show report, I included photos of the really cool Short Snorter exhibit. Now, many of the items in that exhibit have been stolen!!! It's such a shame! Here's the notice I received of the theft, and below are photos of several of the exhibit cases containing many of the items that were stolen - please keep an eye out for any of these notes and notify Doug Davis if you should come across any of them:

The Centralia, Washington police department is investigating a vehicle burglary that resulted in the theft of exhibit panels from the Short Snorter Project. The victim who had exhibited at the ANA Portland show was on his way home when the offense occurred. The suspects gained entry into the victim's trunk and removed five of the exhibits ten panels.

List of stolen items:

Panel #1 (20" x 32" plywood covered by olive green colored fabric)
Inventory: (All notes mounted in currency sleeves)
1. Australia ten shillings signed by Gary Cooper, Una Merkel, and Phyllis Brooks.
2. US one dollar signed by Red Skelton, George Raft, et al.
3. US one dollar "Funny Back" signed by Gary Cooper, John Wayne, Vikki Montan, et al.
4. Suriname half gulden signed by Bob Hope, et al (heavy tape degredation).
5. India five rupees signed by ("WASP-Seattle"), Capt. Hank Greenberg, et al.
6. Italy five lire signed by General Dwight D. Eisenhower, et al.
7. U.S. one dollar HAWAII overprint signed by Randolph Scott, et al.
8. Barbados one dollar signed by Eddie Rickenbacker, Gene Tunney, et al
9. Long short snorter with U.S. one dollar HAWAII overprint signed by Ernie Pyle, et al. and five foreign banknotes taped together.
10. 3 original photos: Bob Hope, Lord Louis Mountbatten(2)

Panel #2 (20" x 32" plywood covered by olive green colored fabric)
Inventory:
1. Long short snorter of Florice "Folly" Langley containing a US one dollar and ten foreign banknotes with many signatures taped together and mounted in currency sleeves. Fiji one penny is signed by Eleanor Roosevelt. India ten rupees is signed by USO troupe (Pat O'Brien, Betty Yeaton, Jinx Falkenburg, Ruth Carrell, Jimmie Dodd, Harry Brown) et al.
2. China-Burma-India Theatre of Operations shoulder patch
3. Invitation to dinner with Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt and table menu
4. Invitation to Florice Langley to attend dance with 436th Bomb Squadron
5. Four WW2 photographs of Florice Langley and one WW2 photograph of Jinx Falkenburg signing a short snorter on top of an accordian with a group of service men.

Panel #3 (20" x 32" plywood covered by gold colored fabric)
Inventory:
1. Long short snorter of Marshall L. Windmiller containing a US one dollar and five foreign banknotes with many signatures taped together and mounted in currency sleeves.
2. China banknote (green) signed by Bob Raines AVG ("Flying Tigers"), et al.
3. China fifty yuan (brown) signed by members of 29th Fighter Squadron, et al.
4. China ten yuan (red) with notation "705 SNAFU SHIPMENT" and "CHINA BURMA INDIA 1944" with many signatures.
5. India ten rupees with inscription "LEDO ROAD" signed by Major-General Daniel Sultan (US), Major-General Godfrey Wildman-Lushington (UK), Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten (UK), Lt. Col. A. A. C. Walker (UK), Brigadier-General Lewis Pick (US), Brigadier-General Thomas Farrell (US), Paulette Goddard (USO).
6. China ten yuan (red) with notation "BURMA ROADSTERS" signed by General Frank D. Merrill and General Raymond A. Wheeler, et al. Many stars on borders. "V548728J" notation.
7. China ten yuan (red) with notation "BURMA ROAD HUMP FLYERS" with many signatures.
8. India five rupees signed by USO troupe (Pat O'Brien, Betty Yeaton, Jinx Falkenburg, Ruth Carrell, Jimmie Dodd, Harry Brown).

Panel #4 (20" x 32" plywood covered by gold colored fabric)
Inventory:
1. Long short snorter of Allen B. Larkin, U.S. Naval Air Transport Service, containing two US one dollar and eight foreign banknotes with many signatures taped together and mounted in currency sleeves. Notation on last two foreign banknotes pertain to "FIRST FLIGHT USS MARS/NATS LONGEST FLIGHT OVER WATER WITH MOST CARGO PAUTUXENT TO NATAL". Mounted next to reproduction press photo of same event.
2. Six single foreign banknotes mounted individually in currency sleeves. Four shillings (pink & green) signed by Commodore Merrill Comstock, et al (mostly US Naval Officers - One may be John F. Kennedy - unauthenticated)

Panel #5 (20" x 32" plywood covered by grey colored fabric)
Inventory:
1. Long short snorter of Lee Moyne Mark, U.S. Navy Photographers Mate, containing one US one dollar and seven foreign banknotes with many signatures taped together and mounted in currency sleeves. Display has 11 reproduction photographs.
1. US one dollar signed by Admiral C. W. Nimitz, et al.
2. Canada one dollar with many signatures.
3. Philippines one peso with signatures.
4. Japanese Government ten pesos (JIM) signed by Admiral Richard E. Byrd, et al.
5. Sveriges Riksbank five kronor signed by Harry James, et al.
6. Japan one yen signed by Gene Kelly, Jackie Robinson, et al.
7. Japan ten yen military currency with many signatures
Central Bank of China 5 Custom Gold Units banknote signed by James Forrestal, General James H. Doolittle, General Ira C. Eaker, Gene Krupa, et al.

Anyone with information should contact:

Doug Davis
817-723-7231 or doug@numismaticcrimes.org
(PLEASE SHARE THIS BULLETIN)

The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corporation whose mission is to serve as a national and international resource for collectors, dealers and law enforcement in the education, prevention and investigation of crimes involving coins, paper money, tokens, medals and related numismatic items.

The Numismatic Crime Information Center is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
corporation. P.O. Box 14080 Arlington, Texas 76094.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Ugh. So many one-of-a-kind items in that exhibit. Widgets can be replaced, even high-grade widgets. This type of material not so easily.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Sickening.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievably cool stuff. I'm thinking that it will be recovered at some point. Where could the thieves possibly liquidate such uniquely identifiable items?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Europe
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This person had to be targeted as he was leaving the show? Then followed him? What a shame.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would thieves target such a specialized (and probably illiquid) group of items? I suspect the thieves didn't know what they were doing.

I hope the local pawn shops are on alert.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unreal
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would thieves target such a specialized (and probably illiquid) group of items? I suspect the thieves didn't know what they were doing.

I hope the local pawn shops are on alert. >>

There was local publicity about a few short snorter notes being dropped into circulation in the Portland area as a promotion for the show. This may have gotten some creep's attention.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would thieves target such a specialized (and probably illiquid) group of items? I suspect the thieves didn't know what they were doing.

I hope the local pawn shops are on alert. >>

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible. I will pass the word along to the shops in town that I frequent!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only positive thing is , at least they will be easily identifiable
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope somebody tells me I'm wrong that this was not another "I'll leave the car unattended for just a moment while I grab a bite to eat."

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish once someone would offer this stuff to me so I can turn them in!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only positive thing is , at least they will be easily identifiable >>

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that they recover all of the stolen items, catch the creeps, and lock them up for a long time.

This exhibit contained so many historically significant one-of-a-kind items -- what a shame. image

Unfortunately, it also has to make potential exhibitors think twice about placing this type of material on public exhibit in the future.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. Awful.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    It would be terrible if the crooks think it is just a bunch of junk and toss it.

Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers are always free)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a shame... a truly amazing collection of these notes... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure am SICK of this kind of thievery . I wish folks would stop putting valuable items in their car and leaving the car unattended. I am so sorry to read this and hope they catch the SOB and lock em away for a long ass time. I also hope they get their stuff back unharmed.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last weekend, he had ten panels in his car, and stopped at an Arby's in Centralia.
    When he came back, only 5 panels were left.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope somebody tells me I'm wrong that this was not another "I'll leave the car unattended for just a moment while I grab a bite to eat." >>

+1
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    We all find this troubling, and sometimes I think that our own feelings of vulnerability lead us to blame the victim. My bet is that while stopping somewhere is risky - for any reason, anywhere, anytime - the real issue is how to take steps to avoid being followed, and how to detect and evade vehicles following.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    There was a similar story about a year ago, regarding paper money.

When traveling with large amounts of valuables, it sounds wise to have a second person and even a dog.

The thieves will get justice one way or another.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a terrible thing. All the time, effort and passion that went into assembling that collection! I hope everything is recovered and the thieves caught.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a terrible thing. All the time, effort and passion that went into assembling that collection! I hope everything is recovered and the thieves caught. >>

It sucks. And the owner is always super passionate about sharing the set, too.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I hope somebody tells me I'm wrong that this was not another "I'll leave the car unattended for just a moment while I grab a bite to eat." >>

+1 >>

Of course, based on the post above yours that's exactly the case. How often do we read about this exact same scenario just on this very forum? Four times/year? More? Just unreal.

Totally agree re: not blaming the victim. That said, why make it so easy for the criminal? How is it possible that dealers/collectors do this time, after time, after time? It just boggles the mind.

Very sorry to hear about this.

Such an amazing collection!! Hopefully, given the uniqueness of the items, the crooks will be caught trying to sell/pawn and the items returned.

Still, folks have to be careful. Not that anyone ever deserves to be a victim, but sometimes people just make it to easy for the crooks.

Rick-o said something about a dealer (Col. Ellsworth?) offering a class on "How to think like a coin thief" or something of the sort. Clearly, many are in desperate need of such a course.

Perhaps it's time that the ANA offered or sponsored that or a similar course.

Such a shame.

Thankfully, at least no one was hurt.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Centralia is about an hour North of Portland so if it was a tail they must have been persistent.

Another strange thing is that the crime was so very specialized but curiously they did not take everything.
    If you're so focused on that particular type of items then why leave half of them and take the others?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this exhibit at the show. What a shame.

Seems odd that they would only take 5 of 10 panels though, especially if they tailed them for over an hour......
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Terrible news Charmy.
    Thanks for putting this out.
    Hopfully it will help in recovery.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I hope the exhibit pages turn up soon. This exhibit got my vote at the Portland Money Show.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone needs to invent GPS trackable luggage for transporting valuable items. You can track an iPad or iPhone, so why not a piece of luggage?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone needs to invent GPS trackable luggage for transporting valuable items. You can track an iPad or iPhone, so why not a piece of luggage? >>

Several companies already offer this. Of course, if it's not securely attached and/or hidden, a thief can just remove it.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where could the thieves possibly liquidate such uniquely identifiable items? >>

Sickening indeed. If it was a "steal to order" situation, these could disappear forever (the thieves could have had the disposal pre-planned).

It doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise. Not liquidatable material. Far more valuable and liquid items were at the show.
  • Options
    One of the dealers at the Danbury show a week ago was robbed in NY when he stopped at a customer's place after the show; the suspect was videotaped on a surveillance camera at the crime scene; dealer Mark Simon has a mug shot on the guy who has a significant rap sheet.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone needs to invent GPS trackable luggage for transporting valuable items. You can track an iPad or iPhone, so why not a piece of luggage? >>

Several companies already offer this. Of course, if it's not securely attached and/or hidden, a thief can just remove it. >>

That's the thing... It needs to be a hidden internal device. Maybe someone can take this idea & run with it. Incorporate it into the most popular types of luggage coin dealers use. Another thing
    that would be nice is to install a remotely activate dye pack like banks use. Naturally only usable if the contents are slabbed or within individual containers. The thieves would get a nice bang
    out of that! Probably couldn't use that for air travel though.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkdynastyK9s and then watch someone try to get in your car. Dogs are awesome.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad. The saddest part is the items will probably be destroyed once the thief learns they are not marketable.
    Vplite99
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that Charmy. I wish you all the best in recovering the pieces and seeing the perp be brought to justice.

• Options

2 year old thread. Was anything ever recovered?

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Stupid thief. Why steal "one of a kind" items? Good luck reselling.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad we never read of the perpetrators caught by the owner with a fully loaded firearm.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a follow up to this two year old theft.... seems like those items would be difficult to cash in on...perhaps the thieves did not fully understand what they had...and when they did, they trashed them... which would be a disaster. Many, many of the items were unique and irreplaceable.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

What the heck is wrong with people...? All that time and effort, gone in 60 seconds.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file