Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's 2015 ANA PORTLAND Coin Show w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
I love coin shows that are in the same time zone as I am. I was able to leave OC the same day as the coin show and still arrive in time for set up. I got to the John Wayne airport with plenty of time to spare. Unlike my flight home from Dallas last week, getting through security even with the usual bag check was quick and painless. I even had time to grab some breakfast and a nice Baily's and coffee.

I am fortunate and grateful to live in an area that has gorgeous weather most of the time and Wednesday morning in Orange County was gorgeous!

My flight was also smooth and easy. I loved looking out the window as we flew over the Cascade Mountain Range and Mt. Shasta.

Then shortly after that, we were flying into beautiful sunny Portland!

I checked in to my hotel room which was very comfortable and had an equally beautiful view.

After unpacking, I headed over to the convention center for the 3pm set up.

Of course I ran into many usual suspects! Tony and Alan from Northern Nevada Coin

Todd Pollock/BluCCPhotos and Tony

And another familiar face – Emily (who used to be the ANA’s coin show coordinator)

I took a peak at the bourse floor before they let everyone in. It was set up in sort of an “L” shape and looked very pristine!

Soon all the dealers were let on the floor to set up our booths.

After I was set up, I walked around the bourse to do some shopping. I noticed a booth that had quite an eye-catching neon sign.

I found a couple more beautiful and scarce Conder tokens for my collection!

I also had Todd photograph a few more Conder tokens I recently bought.

I had brought a couple bottles of wine with me, and it was really nice to relax after set up and share them with several of my dealer friends!

After set up, we took the train into downtown for dinner

We ended up at Deshutes Brewery which was recommended to us by a young lady we met on the train.

They had quite the selection of beer!

Rick and I both decided to try one of their specialties, the Nitro Obsidian Stout and it was one of the tastiest beers I’ve ever had!

After dinner, we decided ran into one of the bicycle carts and decided to take a ride to another pub.

We wen to another pub recommended by the bicyclist - they had a musician who was playing some great music.

Then it was time to get back to the hotel to rest up for what hopefully would be a very busy show!

Thursday morning I ran into my pretty gal pals, Cindi and Amanda!

Then I had a chance to view the ANA’s amazing Money Museum

I was also able to pick up some great newps for my inventory, including this amazing stunning deep PURPLE 1936 proof Lincoln cent! This piece is probably the most vibrant penny I have ever owned, and it didn’t last long in my inventory. I think I had it for about an hour before it went to someone else who appreciates vibrantly toned copper as much as I do.

After the show, a group of us headed back to downtown Portland for dinner.

We had reservations at what was the most favorite restaurant of the dealers at the show – Jake’s Crawfish!

We waited in the bar while the rest of our party arrived. The pretty young lady next to Rick was our very nice waitress who joined us for this photo!

Cindi, me and of course Nina!

Rick and John (ANACS)

This is the same restaurant I went to last October when I was in Portland for the PNNA show. And I even had the exact same dish – almond crusted sole which was just as yummy the second time!!

We enjoyed a wonderful bottle of Washington cab

Back at my room, the view outside my window was really pretty at night

On Friday, Todd had received a couple of the famous Voodoo donuts we’d been hearing about. Apparently, they come with a variety of unusual toppings, like Captain Crunch and Fruitloops, and even bacon. I had this chocolate voodoo doll shaped donut (if you look closely, you’ll see that it has a strategically place pretzel stick!). It was jelly filled and delicious!

DennisH enjoyed the Captain Crunch donut

So until this day, I had never met Drunner. Some of you may remember him teasing me about when the day that we would finally meet, he would bring a bottle of wine and Led Zeppelin’s Stairway to Heaven would be playing, and that’s how I would know it was him. Well, I was walking around the show and came upon a case not far from my table that had a couple nice copper pieces, so I asked to look inside but the dealer behind the table said the owner of that case was not there yet. So I hung out while talking to another dealer until the owner came back.

When he came back to the table, I asked to see the coins. But before he pulled out the coins, he looked at me and said that this wasn’t exactly how he hoped our meeting would go. I looked up at him curiously, not understanding what he meant or who he was. Then he explained about the wine and Stairway to Heaven reference, and finally introduced himself - what a huge surprise and honor it was for me to finally meet Jeff/Drunner!!!

He told me he would be going to the Las Vegas show in a couple weeks, and would bring a special bottle of wine from his wine cellar. I promised to play Stairway to Heaven so we could enjoy the wine and music together!

Bob/Watersport happened to be in Portland and stopped by my table to say hi

Oded Paz is a fellow Repousse/Pop-Out coin collector and is also running for one of the ANA board positions.

This lovely couple, Natasha and Kyle, are customers of mine and came to the show to specifically buy this gorgeous 1909-S Lincoln cent, and brought me a wonderful bottle of Washington wine for us to share!

Later on Friday, I was approached by this film crew who said they were doing a film on the history of the penny. Well, I’ve been approached by other coin people to talk about pennies, being a woman in the coin industry, etc., so I assumed it was something along those lines. However, when I asked them where the interview would appear, they said they were hoping it would be aired at the SUNDANCE Film Festival. What?!?! After a few more questions, I discovered they were from New York and weren’t even numismatists but were putting a documentary together on the history of the penny and was hoping their film would eventually appear in theaters. OMG!

Beaming from ear to ear, “of course” I say, “sure, what would you like to know!” Yes, I was very happy to talk about pennies and answer all their questions. So they begin asking me about how I became a dealer of just pennies, how I felt about doing away with the penny, their value, the most popular or rare penny, toned pennies, etc.

I showed them my grape 1936 proof, which intrigued them greatly. I also showed them some of my other colorful Indian proofs, and talked about my personal collection of toned pennies. They seemed very excited that I was so enthusiastic about my pennies, and our interview lasted about an hour.

Then they came back on Saturday and said they really liked the interview with me and wanted to ask me more questions, and go over some more material! I was really thrilled to help them with their project. Amanda’s booth was right across from mine, and she was kind enough to take this photo of our interview on Saturday.

In case any of you are interested, their website is http://dearpennyfilm.com/

After the show ended, a large group of us headed back to downtown Portland for dinner. I took some photos as we crossed the beautiful river.

We decided to go back to Deshutes Brewery for dinner.

As we were taking pictures at the brewery, we noticed Rick and I were dressed alike so we had to take a photo!

And of course, here’s Nina looking adorable as always!

Paul and Cindi from ANACS and me

Steve Feltner, Glenn Holsonbake/PonyExpress, Winston Zach/Stone, and Steve Schuch.

One of the appetizers!

Since I loved their Obsidian Stout, I decided to try their Obsidian Stout Mac & Cheese with fennel sausage – it was amazing!

A couple of others had their stuffed fish (can’t remember what kind) – they said it was delicious!

One of their burgers

The rib-eye – I had this the first night I was there

The entire group!

Outside the brewery

Then it was time for the old folks to head back to the hotel, while the young ones partied on! I was in the first camp, but had one last nightcap at the hotel bar – which was a popular meeting place for many dealers!

Saturday morning I took an opportunity to look at all the competitive exhibits. There were some great exhibits but my favorite was the Short Snorter exhibit.

When I was looking at one of the notes, I noticed there was one with John Wayne’s signature (I LOVE John Wayne). What really caught my eye was the signature that was under his – it was a woman named Vikki Montan, an accordion player who was apparently on tour with John Wayne. I just happened to have a short snorter also signed by John Wayne and Vikki Montan and found an article putting them together in Australia in December 1942!!

Exhibit John Wayne and Vikki Montan Short Snorter

My Short Snorter

Here are more photos of the exhibit

This encased postage stamp exhibit was also interesting

Back at my table, I got inundated with little treasure trivia hunters! This cute little guy is Spencer and his dad Michael

Even though some of the dealers had already left, the bourse floor was quite active throughout Saturday.

Just before I was about to pack up, an elderly gentleman stopped by my table and offered me his Lincoln cent collection that he had put together over many years housed in the usual small blue coin folders. I often get offered collections like this and they are usually low grade coins pulled mostly out of pocket change often containing cleaned and damaged pennies. However, when I opened these albums, I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that this album contained mostly XF/AU untampered original problem-free pretty pennies! So of course, I couldn’t pass it up.

Soon it was time for me to head to the Portland airport for my flight home. This beautiful wood carving is located right inside the terminal.

Outside it was an absolutely gorgeous day – a great day for flying!!!

Bye-bye beautiful Portland….

Me so happy to be going home!!

If you look closely, you can see a famous landmark!!!

(That’s Half Dome in Yosemite)

And welcome back to Orange County – it’s rare for me to be flying home when it’s still light out!

These are the two blimp hangars at the former U.S. Navy and Marine Corps air station in Tustin, California. The hangars were built early in World War II to house manned blimps. One is to be torn down and the other will be used as a WWII museum.

Just about to land at the John Wayne Airport…

For me, this was a great show. I was busy almost the entire time, found some nice coins for inventory, made a lot of sales, got to be interviewed for a possible "movie," hung out with my wonderful friends, and met some new friends - all the while getting to visit a beautiful bright and sunny city!!

Next up: My local Buena park show this weekend (March 14-15), then the Las Vegas show at the Riveria next weekend (March 19-22), followed of course by the Baltimore show (March 26-28)!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way cool report. image
    Sorry I missed ya...I did roll by your table to say hi on Friday but you were busy educating a camera crew on the mysteries of copper toning.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report! You gotta love the Pacific Northwest!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome report! image
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭
    I always love your reports, but this one was exceptional!

Larry L.
    Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always love your reports, but this one was exceptional! >>

I agree! Sorry I did not say hello. Every time I thought to, your table was full of people. The Deschutes brewery is one of my favorite resteraunts in town!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, as always. It was good to see you again. You're s great ambassador for the entire hobby.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like fun! Jakes is pretty awesome, and the Deschutes restaurant is pretty neat. There are plenty of portland based brewing companies now and I have never been disappointed in any meal I have had at one. (FYI Deschutes is based out of Bend.)
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb to meet you. I am selecting the wine tonight. It will be epic . . . . . . .

I just hope it has not gone south -- it will be an oldie!

Drunner
    (Led Zeppelin's Doilies "Remain The Same" in "Kashmir")

(OK Lakes---reaching a bit there I guess image )

(alright -- it was the Stairway to Heaven reference . . . . . . . .)
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Your show reports are wonderful and like taking little mini vacations for me. I am stuck here in Indiana with a month of ice and snow behind me.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report! I was hoping to get down to the show for a day, but I had conflicts every day of the show, so it was a no-go. I'm jealous that you got to fly on a 737 classic... those are getting rare! And yes, the weather this weekend was great for flying image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love that ms 64 $10 indian head gold piece and the doubloon image
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, that purple 1936 Proof Lincoln cent is awesome. I know the new buyer is happy, wish it was me.
  • Options
    Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Great report as usual, see you in Baltimore!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super report Charmy...and some nice wines too....thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Great report as always!

I hope you'll continue with them after you become a movie star! image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DennisH sure is getting younger!image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this report, Charmy.....felt like I was there.
    You are quickly(if I can use that word) becoming the leading expert on copper coinage in the US.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy.....every time you do a report you manage to out do the last one!!

Just a super narration and love the pic's. Great Conder's too.....love the Corresponding society Mdx.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome show report!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy: Thanks for sharing your superlative Portland ANA Coin Show Report with us. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Awesome report !
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    And Portland was (and still is) blessed by excellent weather which is very unusual for this time of year.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

I'm getting my request in though: NEED MORE Nina pictures image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding as always. Hopefully you told my boss lots of great things about me image
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. I love that old penny collection in the blue Whitman ... you never see them like that! image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great as always. But there was one eerie moment for me. After seeing your Conder token with the hangman's noose, then scrolling down to your picture of the subway (train?) car with what looked like nooses hanging from the ceiling ... well, let's just say it was creepy!
    Mark

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report Charmy! I had just finished my Chain Breaker IPA I had with my dinner, log into the boards, and there it is, images of my old town, and Deschutes Brewhouse front center stage. And you went an beat me to some nice Conders from Gary.....

Go Blazers and Rip City!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. I wish that I had been there. image
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOVED this report!
    Thanks so much for sharing it.

Really regret not being able to attend this show and your report was very much appreciated.
    Would have been great to see you again and to see your amazing inventory.
    Might have even picked up some goodies.
    Hopefully next time around.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    OdedPazOdedPaz Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Great report!

Thank you Charmy!

Oded
    Oded Paz
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and great pics!!!!!

ABimage
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report! Good to see you there - Portland was a great show!!! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the movie will be titled - The Penny, what we call the US Cent
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the pictures of the "short snorter" paper money exhibit!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a great report. Learned a thing or two also.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy,

You are not only the light of this forum, you the light of our party. Your reports bring the excitement of big coins shows to all of that could not attend. Thank you very much.

OINK
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Thank you again Charmy!
    Your reports are the next best thing to being there!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for such sweet remarks! Even though it was a very busy show for me, which is always a good thing, I'm sorry I didn't get to chat with some of you. Hopefully I'll see some more of you forumites at one of the upcoming shows, Las Vegas or Baltimore or Central States....
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    meow? meow meow meow meow.!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Love, love, love all the pics that you include with every great show report. image

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you everyone for such sweet remarks! Even though it was a very busy show for me, which is always a good thing, I'm sorry I didn't get to chat with some of you. Hopefully I'll see some more of you forumites at one of the upcoming shows, Las Vegas or Baltimore or Central States.... >>

I always look forward to your reports. Your write ups and pictures are excellent. I only have one complaint, and that is because I didn't see any pictures of that beautiful little tuxedo kitty this time. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you everyone for such sweet remarks! Even though it was a very busy show for me, which is always a good thing, I'm sorry I didn't get to chat with some of you. Hopefully I'll see some more of you forumites at one of the upcoming shows, Las Vegas or Baltimore or Central States.... >>

I always look forward to your reports. Your write ups and pictures are excellent. I only have one complaint, and that is because I didn't see any pictures of that beautiful little tuxedo kitty this time. image >>

LOL! Well, I wasn't sure if you all were getting tired of seeing my little Penny. But since you asked ... this is Penny earlier in the week, right after I took her to get spayed. She was not a happy camper in her new party hat and promptly remove it, twice!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I always look forward to your reports. Your write ups and pictures are excellent. I only have one complaint, and that is because I didn't see any pictures of that beautiful little tuxedo kitty this time. image >>

LOL! Well, I wasn't sure if you all were getting tired of seeing my little Penny. But since you asked ... this is Penny earlier in the week, right after I took her to get spayed. She was not a happy camper in her new party hat and promptly remove it, twice!

image >>

Not at all! I love every time you post a picture of that sweet baby! Bless her little heart! Thank you, Mrs. Penny Lady. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file