Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 Dollar IIBERTY???

Found this in a B&M today.....as I looked at it, I noticed that there was no "L". Has anyone ever seen this??? I can't find any other info after a quick internet search. I looked at it a bit under a loop and tried to take pics, I can't see any damage where someone would have scraped it away.....What are the opinions from the professionals out there??? Thanks for your help!!

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/1795 slab_zpsvmxmns0d.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/1795 obv1_zpsymzluz3y.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/1795 obv close2_zpsfozfus8q.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/1795 obv close2_zpsfozfus8q.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    Wow, that is fantastic. 98 is other damage. If there was any evidence of someone creating that I out of an L, it would probably get a 94, altered surfaces. I just collect and do not know much, but I would be very excited to have found that coin. You may really have a true rarity there. I'll look back later and see what the more knowledgeable folks have to say. By the way, do you see any damage on that coin? The obverse looks OK. Is there damage on the reverse?
  • Options
    I just looked at my 1795 $ and noticed that the L is shaped almost exactly like the I. If you were to somehow smooth out the lower part of the L, you would be left with an I that looks exactly like the I next to it. But again, I see no evidence of that. However, somewhere on that coin there is damage, so do you see any other damage?
  • Options
    There were definitely some scratches on it all around. Didn't see any major parts with damage, but as you said before, wouldn't it be tooled or something along those lines if the genuine was for messing with the L? Please, I need more opinions/inputs.....Here is the Rev...

[URL=http://s991.photobucket.com/user/schultz241/media/1795 rev_zpstd8tutxs.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plugged and repaired by a fool.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I do not see anything that would cause that 98 damage rating. I'm stumped. It looks like a very nice VG10 example of that date, with a nice oddity.
  • Options
    You think that dark spot under the U in United is evidence of a plug?
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not see anything that would cause that 98 damage rating. I'm stumped. It looks like a very nice VG10 example of that date, with a nice oddity. >>

It has been tooled and/or holed & plugged
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Plugged and repaired by a fool. >>

+1
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    A new "Error Plug"
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once saw a Seated half that had been holed through the top of the obverse, so that the hole came out through the "F" of "HALF." The repairman added his silver and then carved in the missing letter, except he put in an "E" instead of an "F." "HALE DOL." Spadone listed it as an error for years.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it a contemporary-ish(?) repair?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    What exactly are you guys seeing to be so sure it is a plugged hole? I definitely can't see any disturbance from the pictures and I don't remember any under a loop, but would have to go back to investigate some more. Absolutely not questioning your expertise, just trying to learn from the experience. If there isn't a definite thing that you can point out, is it not possible it could be an error of some sort. It sure looks like the bottom of the first "I" was made by a die just like the second "I". Thanks again, this forum definitely has helped me a bunch.....
  • Options
    I need more feedback/explaination as to why some think it is holed/repaired please!!
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is mine just for comparison purposes....Its easy to see how a repaired hole through the lower part of the L could make it look like an I
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is mine just for comparison purposes....Its easy to see how a repaired hole through the lower part of the L could make it look like an I
    image >>

that is gorgeous!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Run far away from that one. And never look back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file